PATTERNMAKING SEWING

LANDER PANT & SHORT – NEW SEWING PATTERN

September 7, 2017

I am so excited to finally show you all my newest pattern – the Lander Pant and Short. This pattern is high-waisted, with an exposed button fly, and 3 lengths. It has front and back patch pockets, belt loops, and a straight fit through the legs. View A is a short with a 4” inseam, View B is an ankle length pant, and View C is a boot length pant that can be worn with heels.  It has a difficulty rating of 3.5 out of 5, but with the sewalong coming in just a couple of weeks I am certain that any confident sewist could handle it.

The idea for this pattern came from my favorite thrifted boy scout shorts that I wore all through high school. Since I no longer have them I decided I needed to recreate them to my best memory. This pattern is everything good I remember from the shorts – high waisted 70’s vibe, brass buttons, large patch pockets, but updated to be a bit more modern and flattering. I have been wearing them all summer and they are so versatile. They were perfect for our summer vacation to Yellowstone where I wanted to be comfy and practical, but not sloppy. They are equally great with a heel or wedge for a more sleek, going out look.

The Landers are drafted for woven fabrics with little to no stretch. I made most of my samples in the Robert Kaufman Ventana twill, but any medium to heavyweight woven fabric will do. My testers made them in linen, denim, twill, and corduroy, all with great results. Just keep in mind your machine and how it will deal with multiple layers of heavy fabric when choosing the best fabric for your version. I will be back next week with more fabric recommendations, and tips on notions.

Being our most advanced pattern to date, we will definitely be doing a sewalong. The official sewalong starts on Monday, Sept. 18th so start gathering your supplies now.

You can find the pdf (digital) version of this pattern in the shop here. Use the code LANDERLAUNCH for 20% off of the pdf pattern from now through Sunday night.

If you prefer the paper pattern you can preorder it here (along with 3 other patterns being produced into paper patterns). We are expecting it to be shipped out sometime within the next 6-8 weeks.

• Reply Annie September 7, 2017 at 12:33 PM

You nailed that! Totally love the retro look (which I remember from the first time around, too!)

• Reply True Bias September 11, 2017 at 8:50 PM

thank you so much Annie!

• Reply Jill September 7, 2017 at 5:23 PM

Ugh! I totally don’t need a reason to buy another pattern but these are so good!

• Reply True Bias September 11, 2017 at 8:51 PM

haha! sorry Jill. That happens to me all of the time too.

• Reply Margo B September 8, 2017 at 7:24 AM

oh gosh…these are great. I love the high waist!

• Reply True Bias September 11, 2017 at 8:52 PM

thank you. i love a high waist so much too.

• Reply Nicki Machin September 8, 2017 at 7:40 AM

I love these, the high waist and those pockets!!

• Reply Maeve September 8, 2017 at 9:54 AM

Beautiful! I love the shorts! I can’t wait to sew them up 🙂

• Reply Carol September 8, 2017 at 10:06 AM

What kind of waistband does this have? Contour or straight?

• Reply True Bias September 11, 2017 at 8:49 PM

It’s straight because it’s so high. Although I think I will add a step in the sewalong for a contoured waistband.
      It’s an easy fix for those who want it.

• Reply Amy September 8, 2017 at 10:12 AM

My first thought: why oh WHY wasn’t this pattern released in may? Cause I would have worn those shorts all summer. On the other hand, now I have months to find the perfect fabric.

• Reply Lander Shorts and Willow Tank – Fa Sew La September 8, 2017 at 2:04 PM

[…] pockets, too. It’s such a challenge to see any details in photographs of black clothes but the photos that are on the True Bias website show off the details a lot […]

• Reply Love List no. 56 - Harts Fabric Blog: Sew Your Hart Out September 8, 2017 at 3:51 PM

[…] In case you missed it…these are […]

• Reply Samantha September 9, 2017 at 12:41 PM

Oh Kelli, these are FABULOUS! How are you inside my head? These are the pants I have been dreaming about making. In some wool twill….? Or some soft corduroy? Thank you for making such a stylish warm pants pattern for those of us who have long Winters!

• Reply True Bias September 14, 2017 at 8:42 PM

I am so glad that you like them Samantha!

• Reply Samantha September 9, 2017 at 1:48 PM

Not to be too enthusiastic, but these would also look dreamy in any of those linen cotton canvas’ coming out of Japan, like the Essex line….! Yum!

• Reply Stevie Tucker September 11, 2017 at 2:26 AM

Perfect Fall pants if you ask me! I love the button fly and as always Kelli your styling is amazing!

• Reply True Bias September 14, 2017 at 8:43 PM

thank you so much Stevie! I had so much fun styling these. It was nice to be behind the camera for once!

• Reply Inspired by Surfing: Nettie Bodysuit as Swimwear | Pattern and Branch September 15, 2017 at 6:08 AM

[…] you seen the new Lander Pant and Short pattern from True Bias?  I’m really tempted by those pants.  I mean–wide legs and […]

• Reply Melissa September 18, 2017 at 12:49 PM

Very beautiful pants! Am curious to know the inseam? I’ve seen similar high rise styles can range from 10-14 inches. I’m so short waisted, it’s a big decision maker for me. Thank you!

• Reply Melissa September 18, 2017 at 1:54 PM

*Not inseam – I meant rise! 🙂

• Reply HW November 10, 2017 at 8:03 AM

Do you know what the ideal twill fabric weight might be? 6 oz up or?