Mandy Boat Tee – Sweater / Tunic

March 18, 2016

You guys know that I am a little obsessed with the free Mandy Boat Tee pattern by Tessuti fabrics. I’ve probably made it 10 times and it’s still my go to make when I find a cool knit. Well, I decided I needed more, and this time I wanted a sweater version and more of a tunic length with a side slit.

The fabric is some gorgeous maroon crocheted sweater knit that I bought from Paron Fabrics in the garment district awhile back. The fabric is great. I am just kicking myself that I didn’t get the black that they had too.

I sewed up the top with my usual adjustments – lengthen the sleeves to full length and took aboutΒ a half inch from both center front and center back. I also adjusted the length by about 6 inches in the back and about 4 inches in the front.

I knew that I wanted those high slits on the sides of the sweater that I see a lot in ready to wear right now. To achieve this, I finished each of the 4 side seams separately. Then, I sewed each side seam together leaving a wider than usual seam allowance towards the bottom – about 3/4″. I stopped stitching a couple of inches below my waist and backstitched. Then I pressed the seam allowance open so that the edge was folded back about 3/4″ on each side. I opted to add a bit of lightweight interfacing insideΒ for extra stability but that is optional. Then I just stitched around the slit to finish it off.

I’m thinking that I want to try this technique on the driftless cardigan next. Wouldn’t it be cool with a deep slit?

Before we go can I just say that hats are really hard to pull off. I’ve only managed to wear this out of the house once so far πŸ™

• Reply anna March 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM

so pretty! Love a comfy tunic! And the side slits are the perfect detail. πŸ™‚

• Reply True Bias March 18, 2016 at 9:50 PM

thanks anna. i love the slits too. just needed a little something new to add.

• Reply My Handmade Space March 18, 2016 at 12:40 PM

great and comfy tee! 10 are definitively not enough πŸ™‚

• Reply True Bias March 18, 2016 at 9:51 PM

apparently not because i can’t stop making them. i love that its comfy and on trend. cant get better than that.

• Reply Sara March 18, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Great sweater! And the hat looks great!!

I find the trick with wearing a new hat is to just own it (or fake it til you feel it).

• Reply True Bias March 18, 2016 at 9:51 PM

true. i need to own it. i doubt anyone else thinks twice about it.

• Reply coco March 18, 2016 at 1:46 PM

I’m delighted you posted this! I had forgotten about this pattern – just downloaded and printed it. I have 2 sweater knits asking to be used πŸ™‚ I plan to lengthen it as you did – really cute!

• Reply Haylee March 18, 2016 at 2:10 PM

Ooo I love this! I would buy that in a heartbeat. The slits look great, and I absolutely love the color you used.

Also, you pull of hats flawlessly in my opinion! Not just saying that, it looks really cute on you!

• Reply True Bias March 18, 2016 at 11:05 PM

thankyou! i really just need to wear it more to get use to it probably.

• Reply Katherine March 18, 2016 at 3:56 PM

I feel weird wear hats, but you look great in this.

The colour of that sweater is perfect on you.

• Reply True Bias March 18, 2016 at 11:06 PM

thank you! I am so obsessed with this color. This and hunter green. My go tos for cold weather.

• Reply Kat @ House of Lane March 18, 2016 at 4:17 PM

OMG this is awesome! My mind is starting to drift towards winter sewing and I think this will definitely be on my list. I love the colour you chose and the added side slits. Excuse me if I blatantly copy myself a version. Maybe in khaki green though! By the way you are rocking that hat. I am lucky and hats seem to suit me but my sister has a lot of trouble finding hats that suit her so I understand the struggle.

• Reply True Bias March 18, 2016 at 9:56 PM

you should definitely make this pattern. it is such a favorite of mine.

• Reply Mary Danielson-Perry March 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM

Gorgeous! I love this color on you, Kelli. It looks so luxe and warm!

• Reply Mady March 19, 2016 at 4:02 AM

Perfect winter sweater! And this color looks amazing on you!

• Reply Miss Pippilotta March 19, 2016 at 4:55 AM

Isn’t it the best pattern! One of my favs too.

• Reply Heather March 19, 2016 at 1:33 PM

I love this!! That colour and those slits are so cool! I also think you are totally pulling off the hat!!

• Reply Margo March 19, 2016 at 1:58 PM

So cozy! Love the color too.

• Reply Amy March 19, 2016 at 3:12 PM

What a gorgeous color! And, I can’t believe there’s still snow on the ground. I’m dying for some true spring weather here, but I still saw your snow and thought fondly of winter!

• Reply welovefur March 20, 2016 at 9:25 AM

Burgundy is one of my favorite colors so i love this look perfect on you
    You have a interesting blog.
    I hope you will like mine
    xoxo

• Reply sallie March 20, 2016 at 11:34 AM

Love this! The color is beautiful on you, and it looks so snuggly, and wear-everyday-perfection. Also, you should totally wear that hat with confidence, because you look fantastic!

• Reply Katy March 20, 2016 at 4:01 PM

I am totally copying this with a sweater knit that I’ve been hoarding. And you look great in that hat, wear it out!

• Reply Jackie March 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM

Love this sweater. can’t wait to make it. Also love your boots. Where are these from?

• Reply Beth - Sew DIY March 20, 2016 at 7:07 PM

Awesome sweater! It looks just like something I’d put on and never take off. πŸ™‚

• Reply Mademoiselle Coconath March 20, 2016 at 8:48 PM

So chic and comfy! Love your outfit!
    xx
    Mademoiselle Coconath

• Reply Sophie March 20, 2016 at 9:22 PM

So very cool Kelli! When this first popped up in my Insta feed I actually thought it was an add for Anthro or something similar. Beautiful sewing and such a svelt look. x

• Reply Nicole March 22, 2016 at 12:12 AM

Gorgeous! I always forget this pattern, loving the longer length and side splits πŸ™‚ I really struggle to find good sweater knits in Australia, you lucky girls in the U.S always seem to get such cool ones!

• Reply Ashley March 22, 2016 at 5:08 AM

You’re totally pulling off the hat πŸ™‚ I love the side slits with the tunic length–really flattering!

• Reply Sonja March 29, 2016 at 7:59 PM

Kelli, you look amazing! Such a great outfit and I love your Mandy boat tee mod! I still need to make one! I’ve made them for my boss and my m-i-l, but not for me!