SEWING SEWING FOR KIDS

CURTAIN DRESS

January 26, 2016

I found these amazing vintage curtains at a thrift store awhile back and couldn’t pass them up. I fell in love with the print and colors. I was a little scared that using them would end up like a bad remake of the Sound of Music, and well, it did kinda end up that way, but I love it anyways. I wasn’t confident enough to make myself something out of it, but I thought that my daughter could pull it off better than I could.

The pattern that I used was from the burda magazine #152. I love that it’s such a classic little girls dress. I made it up once before in a ponte which worked great too.  I made a few changes this time around. I lined the entire dress with a brown cotton lawn. I liked that it made it a little nicer and also that it added a bit more fullness to the skirt. I also rotated out the waist darts this. Because honestly, little girls don’t need darts and seeing them on a little dress weirds me out a bit.

My daughter is obsessed with the dress. I love that the fabric is definitely winter and fall appropriate. It was perfect for both Thanksgiving and Christmas parties (yes, I’ve been sitting on these photos for almost two months).

Now I’ve just got to figure out what to do with the rest of the curtains. I probably still have four yards. I am thinking that maybe a duffle bag or backpack might be cool.

• Reply Mary Russell January 26, 2016 at 6:37 PM

Very pretty dress. Even prettier model.

• Reply lisa g January 26, 2016 at 6:39 PM

This dress is gorgeous! I love the fabric–never would have known it used to be a curtain !

• Reply crab&bee January 26, 2016 at 7:11 PM

I almost never sew kid clothing, but I would have been weirded out by darts, too! This fabric was an excellent find, and the dress really turned out. And it certainly looks like she enjoys wearing it!

• Reply Caroline Hutton January 26, 2016 at 9:05 PM

This is gorgeous, love the fabric and the pattern. And I am inspired – we bought a new house and I removed all of the window coverings put up by the (elderly) former owner. Gorgeous, good quality fabrics but not my style for windows. Never thought of reusing for dresses, and backpacks! Duffel bags! Brilliant!!
    – Caroline

• Reply Christy January 27, 2016 at 1:25 AM

Beautiful! and not at all Sound of music IMO 🙂

• Reply catharine January 27, 2016 at 2:39 AM

I like the dress very much in this frabric. Genius ! trés, trés jolie !

• Reply Camilla January 27, 2016 at 4:29 AM

What a find, that fabric is so pretty. Your daughter looks adorable in that dress. You can tell she loves wearing it.

• Reply Gail January 27, 2016 at 5:58 AM

Great fabric. Your daughte knows exactly what to do in front of the camera. BTW, I posted a very good review of the Sutton blouse on my blog. I was so pleased with it!

• Reply Sallie January 27, 2016 at 7:45 AM

this fabric is wonderful! And the dress (and your daughter) are simply charming! Love it! I could definitely see this print looking ace as a backpack or for other accessories.

• Reply Clio January 27, 2016 at 11:38 AM

I think this is in the BEST Sound of Music tradition!

I can see why you were attracted to the fabric. Honestly, I think you could make it into an adult tulip skirt to wear with boots/tights. Or what about a fun statement trench coat?

• Reply Grace January 27, 2016 at 12:04 PM

This dress is adorable! I always look in my neighborhood but never find anything this delightful.

• Reply Chloe January 27, 2016 at 12:51 PM

Really great find, and cute dress! I love the idea of using the fabric for a bag, but you’ll still have loads left over – maybe a simple skirt?

• Reply Fabric Tragic January 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM

It’s very pretty! I’m pretty sure I’d be tempted to make myself a 60’s shift dress with the leftovers (would look amazing with your beautiful hair!). Otherwise a giant floor pillow would be fun!

• Reply Caroline January 27, 2016 at 10:04 PM

Man, I look at that fabric and all I can think is “Gee, who knew I had to have a 70s floral cropped Victoria blazer?”

• Reply kristin January 28, 2016 at 1:40 AM

Eeee this is adorable! Definitely adorable as a kid dress, love that print.

• Reply Heather January 29, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Your daughter looks absolutely adorable as always!! Great dress, and I think a duffle would be awesome!

• Reply Abu Saeed January 29, 2016 at 1:42 PM

Oh it’s really cute girl photo! Love that shape and I’m sure it’s super cozy too.

• Reply Pip February 2, 2016 at 1:06 AM

Really gorgeous. Great work.

• Reply Sonja February 5, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I’m obsessed with this dress! So, so cute! Make something for yourself with the rest- I love Clio’s suggestion of a trench!

• Reply Beth - Sew DIY February 7, 2016 at 3:08 PM