CAROLYN PAJAMAS IN OCTOPUS

October 16, 2015

I have loved my first version of the Carolyn PJs so much that it was finally time to sew up another pair. This pattern hits all the marks for me. It’s fun to sew, has very professional results, and is super practical. Originally I was going to sew up the long sleeved with pants option, but after wearing my first pair so much I realized I would like some options. So, I opted for short sleeves instead and used the extra fabric to sew up a coordinating pair of shorts. That way I have the shorts set for everyday(night) use, but I have the pants for the times when I want a bit more modesty (like when my inlaws are visiting).

I made them up in more Cotton and Steel fabric, but this time in a really fun cotton lawn octopus print in teal (although they also carry a really fun pink version as well). The great thing about this lawn is that along with being lightweight and soft, it also is not see through, which can be hard to find in lawn. Guys, it’s so fun sewing with novelty prints and cotton! I am not someone who likes to use these types of fabrics for apparel sewing as I think they can often scew homemade or junior, but pajamas are the perfect excuse to use the fun, vibrant, and quirky fabrics that you couldn’t pull off day to day.

I sewed up a size 8 straight out of the envelope, except that I did shorten the pants by a couple of inches (I am 5’3″ so I always have to do this). Looking at the photos I probably could have taken an inch of length out of the top as well. But, I know that these fabrics are prone to shrinking and I wear / wash these so much that I think the extra length may be a good thing. As far as patternmatching goes, I only worried about it on the center front button opening and the breast pocket. It would have just been too crazy (and take too much fabric) to do it on the rest of the areas. I think it’s fine since it’s a busy print and the piping separates the bands giving it a natural break.

I already broke these in last night and I am a fan.

• Reply Elie October 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM

These are great! I’m making a pair of novelty print Carolyn Shorts just now, and I agree, I don’t usually go for novelty fabrics, but so much fun to just go wild with fabric selection when making PJs.

• Reply Noelle October 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Awesome! Super fun and cozy looking pajamas. PJs do seem like the perfect opportunity to sew with novelty prints – and the octopus fabric is so fun.

• Reply True Bias October 16, 2015 at 1:52 PM

thanks so much noelle. i feel like i am going big here with the octopus fabric. out of my comfort zone and loving it.

• Reply Meg October 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM

So cute!

• Reply Dani October 16, 2015 at 12:00 PM

These look fantastic! I think I might have to buy this pattern now after seeing the arsenal of comfy-looking PJs out there. The piping looks spot on—great job! I made my BF a Negroni shirt out of this exact fabric, and he gets comments on it every time he goes out. If I were you, I might be tempted to throw on some black jeans and a long cardigan and wear the top outta the house….

• Reply True Bias October 16, 2015 at 1:53 PM

oh my goodness, this in a negroni is pretty amazing. i love the idea of that. you have a lucky BF

• Reply Angela October 16, 2015 at 12:05 PM

If I only wore pj’s! These are great.

• Reply True Bias October 16, 2015 at 1:56 PM

the carolyn pjs are the first real pjs that i have owned since being a kid and i am totally converted.

• Reply Carolynn October 16, 2015 at 5:37 PM

These are great! I love the fabric choice. I don’t sew clothes often, but these are tempting me! Who doesn’t need octopus pjs???

• Reply Hoosiermama October 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM

Your link for the fabric took me to Fabric.com–is this where you bought it? I ask because earlier this year I decided I had to write off Fabric.com as a source for fabric. Their service was so bad they seemed literally incapable of filling my order. I’d be interested to know what your experience is with them.

• Reply True Bias October 21, 2015 at 1:44 PM

yeah i shop through them a lot. only had a couple issues. i like that they have free returns. that being said, its always nice to support a local shop when you can. they would have better service and faster shipping.

• Reply Heather October 16, 2015 at 9:52 PM

These look awesome Kelli! I love that octopus fabric, and what a great idea to make both the shorts and the pants. Your piping looks great too!

• Reply April October 16, 2015 at 10:37 PM

What fun fabric! These look great.

• Reply Joanna October 17, 2015 at 12:25 AM

So cute!! I totally agree that novelty prints can sometimes look a little TOO handmade with apparel sewing…but PJs are definitely the perfect use for an awesome novelty print!! Now I just need to get my hands on some Cotton + Steel for my own set!!

• Reply Fabric Tragic October 17, 2015 at 3:35 AM

Nice tentacle matching across the front!

• Reply Nilla October 17, 2015 at 3:45 AM

Before I thought it would be crazy to spend so much time and effort on sewing your own pajamas, but since seeing all the wonderful pj’s on the blogosphere lately, I have totally changed my mind and now I want to join the fun!

• Reply Lisa October 17, 2015 at 8:43 AM

Aaahh! I love these so much! I already love that fabric, but you may have just convinced me I need to make the pattern in that print someday, too. I like the length of the shirt, by the way. 🙂

• Reply sallie October 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Love these so much!! I haven’t made these up yet because I’m just not a pajama person, but I always wish I had a nice pair like this when I’m visiting family, or have people staying with us. The octopus print is AHmazing and I love that you made two pairs of bottoms for options.

• Reply Megan October 18, 2015 at 11:32 AM

Love these jammies! I have seen this octopus fabric used a few times and always adore it. Like you, I don’t really wear novelty fabrics in my day to day wear, but this is a great application!

• Reply True Bias October 21, 2015 at 1:43 PM

pjs are my new fav. way for novelty prints. if cotton and steel keeps coming out with fun fabrics i am going to have a lot of pjs.

• Reply trish October 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM

I agree with everyone–these look fantastic on you (such flawless piping and finishing!) and now I, too, have PJ envy. Definitely putting these on my to-sew list.

• Reply True Bias October 21, 2015 at 1:42 PM

i never knew how much i needed pjs, but i love having homemade ones.

• Reply Rebecca Pattydoo October 19, 2015 at 4:22 AM

Ooooh! I need that fabric! Hopefully I can find it here in Europe.

Also, great matching across the front!!

• Reply True Bias October 21, 2015 at 1:42 PM

thanks, i couldn’t match everywhere, but tried to be precise where it mattered.

• Reply Wednesday Weekly #11 | Helen's ClosetHelen's Closet October 21, 2015 at 11:17 AM

[…] am IN LOVE with Kelli’s octopus pyjamas! Every time I see this print come up I fall in love all over again.  She did a great job pattern […]

• Reply Sonja October 25, 2015 at 10:29 AM

These octopi are too cute! What an adorable set!

• Reply Michelle October 26, 2015 at 11:57 AM

I love your PJs! I have a few projects in front of this pattern, but I’m very eager to sew some Carolyn jamiies. All the versions I’ve seen are beautiful. It was a great idea to use the fabric you saved making short sleeves for shorts.

I totally agree with you on the novelty pattern front. I like a lot of novelty prints, but I wouldn’t wear them… except to bed.

• Reply ACS Blog October 29, 2015 at 4:32 AM

Perfect timing for me to see this post, I badly need to create a new pair of pajamas. I received a bright neon green cloth as a gift and I have no idea where to use it for. I think it will suit if I use it for this.

• Reply The Octopus Dress | Miushka November 16, 2015 at 3:54 PM

[…] have seen this octopus fabric pop up here and there in the last couple of weeks. Oh, those lovely creations! The fabric is a Cotton and Steel cotton […]

• Reply Octopus Alder Shirtdress | Helen's Closet May 9, 2016 at 5:04 AM

[…] of Thread if you are in Vancouver (last time I checked). I chose this colour-way after seeing Kelli’s amazing Carolyn Pajamas, I love the combination of the soft teal and the bright […]

• Reply Rachel August 20, 2016 at 11:56 PM

Hi, I just got this pattern and was wondering if the pattern includes seam allowance or it has to be added? Thanks, Rachel