TRAPEZE DRESS IN BLACK LINEN

August 3, 2015

I’ve been attracted to very simple shapes lately.  Easy to wear garments that are great for layering, have clean lines, and are quick to sew.  Admittedly these are not always the most flattering things in my wardrobe, but I love the ease of wearing them.

I decided to sew up a quick trapeze dress this weekend much like the ones I have been seeing in ready to wear. I had some simple black Kaufman Essex Linen that I knew would be perfect for it.

I decided to use my Southport Dress as a base since I like the way that the bodice fits me. I simply took the bodice and eliminated the button placket but instead added a seam at center front for some interest. Then I used the slash and spread method to add fullness to the bottom, rotating the dart out in the process.  You could do this with almost any tank or basic top pattern, although if you don’t want to draft your own the Sway Dress by Papercut Patterns or the Gabby Dress by Tessuti Fabrics are great examples of a similar style.

One thing that I love about dresses like this is that they are so easy to dress up or down. I am showing it here with heels, but it’s just as easy to wear with strappy flats for a more casual look.  I am also super excited about the idea of throwing a loose cardigan over it once it’s not so hot.

Outfit Details:

Dress : Handmade, Fabric – Kaufman Essex Linen

Necklace : Maslo Jewelry
Shoes : Moheda Betty Clogs

• Reply Kristi August 3, 2015 at 9:38 AM

so simple and still so flattering! Love the idea of layering with it later.

• Reply True Bias August 3, 2015 at 10:18 AM

thaks so much kristi. i know. im excited about layering it. im thinking loose boyfriend cardis for later summer / early fall.

• Reply Kelly August 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Kelli I love this! So stylish and cool…I think I need one 🙂 also your hair looks really pretty!

• Reply True Bias August 3, 2015 at 12:14 PM

thanks so much Kelly. You do need one!

• Reply Kieran August 3, 2015 at 4:43 PM

This looks great! I think the shorter length and lack of sleeves keeps it flattering while still being quite sack like and easy to wear.

• Reply Lauren August 3, 2015 at 5:38 PM

This is SO pretty. I feel like I would look like ass in this kind of loose shape, but it looks really really good on you and now I want one too 🙂

• Reply Hélène August 3, 2015 at 7:08 PM

Not the most flattering silhouette, indeed, but certainly the most confortable. And yet, in black linen with a long necklace and appropriate shoes, you look fantastic. You really have a keen sense of style!

• Reply Clio August 4, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Very pretty on you! And you’ve styled it just right. It will look great with tights, boots, and cardi come cooler weather.

• Reply Beth – Sew DIY August 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM

I love this dress! It looks beautiful on you. Such a great shape for summer too. I have a couple big 4 patterns in my stash in this style. One day I need to find myself some nice linen and make one!

• Reply Heather August 5, 2015 at 10:41 PM

I think this dress looks great! I am loving all these cool trapeze and tent dress shapes too!

• Reply Deepika August 6, 2015 at 11:24 AM

Love this dress. I also came across Simplicity 1105 which is a similar pattern. http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/72281

• Reply Wednesday Weekly #2 | Helen's ClosetHelen's Closet August 12, 2015 at 10:22 AM

[…] am in love with Kelli’s Trapeze Dress in Black Linen. Her style is always so effortlessly beautiful. Simple shapes and breezy fabrics are the way to go […]

• Reply Sonja August 13, 2015 at 1:14 PM

This is perfection! I love it so much! I need one ASAP!

• Reply Ciara de Voos March 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM

This really is perfection! How can i get one?!