CHAMBRAY SHIFT USING NEW LOOK 6145

July 8, 2015

I’ve been wanting a simple chambray shift for awhile now. I love the ease of wearing a denim dress.  Feels dressed up and down at the same time. I bought some denim from JoAnns ages ago for this project just waiting for the weather to warm up so I could sew it.

After a lot of searching I finally landed on New Look 6145 for the base of my dress. I knew that I wanted a simple shift with sleeves and french darts and this was the closest that I could find.  I like that it was kinda a blank slate since I would be changing it quite a bit.

I did make quite a few changes to the pattern to suite my taste. I made the neckline less boatneck shaped and more of a crew neck. I also lengthened the sleeved to a longer short sleeve length instead of the cap sleeve that was included. The pattern does call for a center back seem and zipper even though you can get in and out with out it.  But I did add the zipper because I wanted the look of the exposed metal zipper. The pattern also has back darts for shaping, but I did not sew those as I wanted more of a cocoon shape. The other thing that I changed was I did a large 4 inch hem just because I prefer the look of that to the smaller hem width.

I am pretty pleased with how it turned out. The only thing is that I wish I had pegged the bottom a bit instead of having the hem slightly A line as it is. This is not because it would fit better, just because I prefer the shape that way.

All in all a great dress. I look forward to being able to wear it out or dress it down for the park.  Love everyday appropriate dresses like this one.

• Reply Christy July 8, 2015 at 8:26 AM

This is my most used pattern ever! I must be up to version 10 at least, though all are modified slightly. I love your denim version. I’ll definitely steal this look in summer!

• Reply Sarah July 8, 2015 at 9:20 AM

Perfect! I think new look patterns have such a great fit.

• Reply Rachel July 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM

Really nice! I love denim dresses too, so casual but yet you feel a bit dressed up 🙂 I love the exposed zipper too.

• Reply Hilde July 8, 2015 at 10:09 AM

That dress looks so so comfy. Love the sleeves too!

• Reply Michelle July 8, 2015 at 11:37 AM

Very Cute! I sewed a denim shift dress from a vintage McCall’s pattern this spring. I’ve been basically living in it since I finished! There’s something very easy and stylish about a denim dress.

• Reply Su July 8, 2015 at 12:01 PM

I love your denim version! I made a version of 6145 in a light denim and it is one of my most worn dresses – so versatile!

• Reply crab&bee July 8, 2015 at 12:19 PM

I’ve been craving a denim shift, too! Yours looks wonderful, so stylish.

• Reply Heather July 8, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Looks great!! I love the exposed back zip!

• Reply Margo July 8, 2015 at 2:45 PM

So chic! I have used this pattern as well. I really like the changes you made and think it would be great pegged a bit on the bottom. Great idea!!

• Reply Teri July 8, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Your dress looks so good! I love the color of the denim and the exposed zip is a great detail. Also, your hair looks amazing. I always have serious hair envy when I see your photos!

• Reply Rachel July 8, 2015 at 7:25 PM

Lovely! I wear my dark chambray Camber shift constantly. I like the lighter denim – I might have to copy come summer!

• Reply Carolyn July 9, 2015 at 5:16 PM

I just saw a dress like this in the garment district and thought how wonderful it would be to own one. Then you make this marvelous version! So loving this on you and your choice of fabric is just perfect!

• Reply Sandra Gilbert July 9, 2015 at 6:32 PM

That is a fabulous dress, it will be a great staple as it will look great with thick tights and boots just layer it up with a big scarf and a cardigan. I have just added this pattern to my wish list

• Reply Sallie July 10, 2015 at 9:42 AM

This is the perfect easy summer dress! I live in things like this when the weather turns warm because they just seem so appropriate for so many occasions! And I think it would transition great to cooler weather as well! So classic and versatile! I love it! Also – YOUR HAIR!! Hahaha!! It’s soooo long and beautiful! You look like you belong in a Pre Raphaelite painting! You are truly my hair idol.

• Reply LaLa Sews July 12, 2015 at 11:20 AM

What a great dress! Simple but gorgeous. A wardrobe workhorse.

• Reply Sonja July 15, 2015 at 9:59 PM

This looks so great on you! You look like a Madewell model- so put together and so chic! And oh man, your hair is ON POINT!