OTHER

MY HANDMADE UNIFORM – MANDY BOAT TEES & ESPRESSO LEGGINGS

February 26, 2015

This winter has been brutal guys.  It is not rare for me to go an entire day without leaving the house.  I am going a bit stir crazy and I can not wait for spring.  So, comfort has been the key the last few months.  Along with a lot of Hudson pants and Linden sweatshirts, I have developed a new uniform of sorts that works perfect for working from home and playing on the floor with kiddos, while still appropriate for slipping on some snow boots to go to the store or pick up kids from school.

It’s my two current pattern obsessions – the Mandy Boat tee from Tessuti (which I have already sung the praises of in past blog posts) and the Espresso Leggings by Cake Patterns.

Let’s start with the Mandy Boat Tee.  This time around I made it up in this perfect sweater knit from fabric.com (which they appear to be out of currently).  It has a loose weave and a heavy drape which made it perfect for a boxy fit.  I think I finally have the fit right with this one size fits all pattern too.  I take about 1 inch out of both center front and center back.  This helps it lay nicer on my shoulders.  I also lengthened the sleeves to a full length sleeve instead of 3/4 length.  And then I lengthened the back hem by about 4 inches and the front by about 2.  I curved the hem to connect the two.  I wanted to make sure that the hem was plenty long enough to cover both my butt and crotch since I knew that I would be wearing it with leggings.  Looking at these pics I probably could have gone even a bit longer in the front.

Now for the Expresso leggings by Cake Patterns.  I was a little skeptical at first because the pattern uses a connect the dots type of drafting technique for your fit.  It felt a lot like elementary school and I was sure that there was no way these were going to be professional in the end.  I was wrong.  These are the best fitting leggings that I have ever worn.  I have short legs and so I was able to make the length correct and also have the knee hit at the right place.  I also really like my leggings high waisted so that they act more like a control top.  This pattern lets you choose your waist height which I love.  I made them up in a nice black black ponte knit fabric from my stash.  I love that they are thick enough not to show all of the ripples and lines like a normal legging would plus they are nice and warm for the cold weather.

So there you have it, my new handmade uniform.  I reach for it whenever it is clean.

Outfit Details:

• Reply Katy February 26, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Well I guess you know I LOVE that top! I’m going to have to try those Cake leggings as well. Everyone says such good things about them. And they look so cute with your booties.

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 12:09 PM

thanks katy! i can’t wait to see what amazing things you do with the mandy boat tee.

• Reply Petite Josette February 26, 2015 at 11:27 AM

ok, first of all, your hair looks ridiculously amazing. What is your secret?
    Second, I really like you version of the Mandy tee. I’ve been considering a lot of different options for easy to make knit tops and seeing yours makes me want to try it out. Love the fabric too!

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 12:12 PM

i have no secrets. ive just been blessed with thick hair. thanks so much for the compliment though.

you really should try out the mandy. its a free pattern! and it sews up in less than an hour.

• Reply Kristi February 26, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Nice uniform! Leggings have been on my not-worth-making list, but I’ve worn them so much lately maybe I should reconsider. What kind on knit do you like for leggings?

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 12:13 PM

i get it. i usually wouldn’t make them either, but after trying to buy some nice thick ones for winter i was gonna spend at least $30 so i thought it would be worth it. i totally recommend trying ponte knit. just make sure you get some with a lot of rayon and not as much polyester so its soft. it sews up so nicely and is thick. i love mine.

• Reply Suzanne March 1, 2015 at 6:32 AM

oooh, squirreling away this top on the leggings fabric. I rarely find the right weight/stretch for good leggings with enough support that I don’t end up feeling …jiggly 😉

• Reply Annick @ MinnieMie February 26, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Looking fabulous, again!

• Reply Nadine February 26, 2015 at 12:49 PM

I love this look so much…that I might steal it. I’m 24 weeks pregnant. This outfit is the perfect, put-together, new-mom staple my wardrobe needs.

(Do you think the Mandy Boat tee could work for pregnancy if I just lengthen it a bit?)

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM

this would be perfect for pregnancy! if i was prego i would make 5 of these right away.

• Reply Marilla February 26, 2015 at 2:29 PM

I can’t believe I haven’t tried this tee pattern already! I love your uniform 😉

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 4:51 PM

you should try it! such a a fast make.

• Reply Amy February 26, 2015 at 2:35 PM

I’m totally smitten with your uniform! It looks so comfy and yet chic at the same time. I’m going to shop for some sweater knits and try out one of those mandy boat tees. Thank you for the inspiration!

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM

you are going to love it!

• Reply Katie February 26, 2015 at 5:56 PM

I totally didn’t know the Mandy boatneck pattern was free!! I’ve made a few Grainline Hemlock’s – but the boat neck on this is really nice (and looks great on you!). I’ve heard so much about the Espresso leggings – and I have plans to give the Seamwork leggings a try… but if those are weird I might try these!

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 8:10 PM

yep its free! the hemlock is great too. this has a closer fit in the arms. curious to so those seamwork leggings.

• Reply Bella February 26, 2015 at 9:35 PM

I made a similar outfit for a long haul plane trip, and then ended up wearing it non stop on holiday as well. Mine was the Grainline Hamlock and Papercut Ooh La leggings, and I too can attest to the wonder that is leggings-with-long-top! Ponte makes leggings feel that much more like pants, which I like.

• Reply Heather February 26, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Kelli you always manage to make even the simplest things look so glamorous!! I love this uniform – it looks so comfy yet really chic. I would imagine this would be a perfect travel outfit too!

• Reply Sarah - Fabric Tragic February 27, 2015 at 4:26 AM

Yep the Mandy is a winner…. Love it and like you I’ve tweaked and adjusted to make it my own.

• Reply Mady February 27, 2015 at 4:38 AM

This is THE best uniform! I live in Mandy Tees and leggings over colder months! I had a post with the exact same outfit some months ago, only I used the Virginia leggings pattern: http://goo.gl/b3tRrB

I love the sweater knit you used for the Mandy Tee! And the fact that you used ponte for the leggings.

• Reply Reana Louise February 27, 2015 at 5:22 PM

THIS is a much, much more stylish option than what I would wear if I had to deal with your weather (a blanket held together with a sash).

• Reply Ginger February 28, 2015 at 10:43 AM

How do you look so chic even in your not-leaving-the-house uniform?!?! You don’t even want to know how ugly my winter home uniform is!!! Time for an upgrade, methinks!

• Reply Amanda March 1, 2015 at 2:51 AM

This is the perfect work from home outfit- snug and chic all in one! The Mandy is such a winner – your fabric choice is gorgeous for this one 😀

• Reply Sunday Sew Love: 1 March + SD Card Holder v.1 | Life by Ky March 1, 2015 at 11:59 AM

[…] (left) Ada Spragg Galaxy Dress | (center) True Bias Handmade Uniform […]

• Reply Camilla March 2, 2015 at 6:03 PM

The many boat tee works really well as a sweater. Hope you make in out of the house soon. Roll on spring.

• Reply Thoughts on Me Made May 2015 | Sewing & Cocktails June 4, 2015 at 10:33 AM

[…] twice throughout the challenge. I suggest making several for yourself if you haven’t already. Kelli’s got the […]