BY HAND LONDON’S KIM DRESS

December 16, 2014

I was lucky enough to be a tester for the Kim dress recently released from By Hand London.  They hit it out of the park with another beautiful party dress.  I am especially crazy about the wide neckline as I think it’s really flattering and a bit more grown up than a classic princess seam dress.

I decided to go with view B and the sweetheart neckline, although the petal skirt version looks really beautiful too.  I omitted the pleats along the bottom because I was sure they would get lost in the busy print I was using.  The only other change that I made to the skirt was to add some pockets.  In my opinion every full skirt should have pockets.  They are easy to hide in the fullness and make the dress so much more wearable.

I did a full bust adjustment because they draft for a size B and used this tutorial from craftsy.  I still had a few tweaks after muslining but I am super happy with the end fit.  I also decided to line the skirt to help with the fullness.  The fabric has a nice weight to it but still drape so I was nervous that the skirt would stick close to my body without the lining.

Because of the weight of the full skirt I decided to use Tasia of Sewaholic’s directions to do a waiststay (Ignore my crazy lining.  I promised myself to only use fabric from my stash for the inside).  I am so glad that I did.  It’s nice to have that extra support and not feel like the skirt is pulling on the bodice.

Also, to help with the wide straps I sewed little ribbons to the straps at the shoulder seams before attaching the lining to the bodice front.  My bra had detachable straps so I just put the straps through the ribbon to keep my bra straps in place.  You could also add a little snap to one side of the ribbon if your bra is detachable.  Added bonus is that these little ribbons make it much easier to hang up.

The gorgeous fabric is from Caroline’s fabric store called Blackbird Fabrics.  I love her store.  I trust her taste and ability to pick high quality fabrics.  This viscose was so great to work with.  It’s super soft but still has a nice structure to it.  I think it’s out of stock but I heard she will be restocking it in January 🙂  Highly recommend it.

I’ve already worn the dress out to a holiday party and felt beautiful in it.  I have to admit that it’s a bit more “sweet” than I normally go, but I guess that’s one of the great things about sewing your own clothes – you get to try lots of different styles and silhouettes out. So glad that I took a risk.

• Reply Amanda December 16, 2014 at 3:02 PM

What a lovely holiday frock! The waist stay and bra strap ribbons are a great suggestion! A quick question- was the princess seam FBA fairly straightforward? 😀

• Reply devra December 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM

i love how you said that – “you felt beautiful in it” – and you look beautiful in it, and you look like you FEEL beautiful in it. a total winner. great work. and the crazy lining is just a bonus.

• Reply Kay December 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM

You look so pretty in the dress!

• Reply Heather December 16, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Kelli this looks awesome!! I love the full skirt with the floral print and good idea on the waist stay! It looks fantastic on you!
    I have this pattern on order, so I can’t wait to make my own version too!

• Reply Amanda December 16, 2014 at 4:19 PM

This looked so beautiful in person! I just love that neckline and the changes you made. Good idea about the ribbon for the bra straps too. Caroline’s fabrics look amazing!

• Reply lisa g December 16, 2014 at 4:25 PM

This looks so beautiful on you! Love that fabric… I may have to watch for the re-stock!

• Reply Rachel December 16, 2014 at 6:04 PM

This colourway and print combo is heaven! I love the little extra’s you have added – such a perfect christmas party dress! 🙂

• Reply Teri December 16, 2014 at 6:40 PM

This is such a pretty dress! I asked for this fabric in the navy version for Christmas to make my first Flora dress… But now that I see it as a Kim dress there may be a change of plans!!

• Reply Trine December 17, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Perfection!!! You look divine friend ♡

• Reply liza jane December 17, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Gorgeous! So very feminine and pretty. I don’t normally go for silhouettes like this but I am digging this one. That neckline is really special.

• Reply christine December 17, 2014 at 8:43 PM

beautiful!!! I love this dress and of course I love the fabric 🙂

• Reply Miss Crayola Creepy December 18, 2014 at 5:53 PM

1. How is your hair always so perfect?!?!
    2. The ribbon in the strap idea is SO good! I need to remember that one.
    3. This fabric and pattern combo is perfection.

• Reply Gail December 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

So pretty. Love the finer details such as the ribbon strap and the waist stay.

• Reply Jennifer, Workroom Social December 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM

This dress is so beautiful!

• Reply Ginger December 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Such a beautiful dress, and it really suits you!

• Reply susie qew December 19, 2014 at 12:09 PM

lovely dress and it looks gorgeous on you. Thanks for the little tips I never heard of but are so useful – the waist stay and the shoulder strap for bra strap. I like the lining – it is whimsical. This dress would look so grand with a crinoline!

• Reply Clio December 21, 2014 at 11:46 AM

ohh, Kelli! You look beautiful! (I love waist stays too!)

• Reply oonaballoona December 23, 2014 at 4:24 PM

I could gaze at this prettiness ALL DAY. I think I fondled it more than what was appropriate…. and those shoes!!!

• Reply Kim Dress: An Inspiration | Amity Island January 19, 2015 at 9:19 PM

[…] True Bias’ is so floral and floofy; it’s perfect. […]

• Reply Two for the Price of One: By Hand London Kim Dresses June 22, 2015 at 12:16 AM

[…] are going to slide off my shoulders, and they do when I move around a lot. I should have added little ribbons to the straps to attach to my bra ala Kelli. If you make this dress, I totally recommend doing that – it’s a genius […]

• Reply The Chrysanthemum Kim Dress | Sweet Carolanne September 10, 2015 at 11:15 AM

[…] seen the problem addressed in the comments of the BHL blog which is always nice to see! Kelly from True Bias talked about adding ribbons to the bodice to attach her bra to which I think might help with the […]