FLORAL SILK HUDSONS

September 16, 2014

I checked another one off from my Fall Sewing List today.  This time it’s another pair of Hudson pants using my tutorial for making them up in a woven fabric instead of a knit.  And I must say I am in love with them.

The fabric is silk crepe de chine from Chic in NYC.  It has a beautiful large scale floral print that my have the tendancy to look a little old fashioned, but made up in this modern silhouette really fits the bill.

I used my Hudson pant pattern to sew these along with my woven variation tutorial.  The only difference is that I went up 3 sizes this time instead of 2.  I still think that 2 would have been fine, but I’ve gained a bit of weight lately and was scared of them being too tight.

I have to admit that there is something about this outfit that gives me some nostalgia to my grandma.  I’m pretty sure she has an outfit very similar to this.  Good thing she is a very hip grandma 🙂

• Reply Kathy Sews September 16, 2014 at 8:51 AM

What a great idea! These look fantastic, love em!!!

• Reply Dana September 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Wow, these are gorgeous! I have to admit that I wasn’t a big fan of what I had seen of the Husdon so for, but these are changing my mind! I really love that you paired a somewhat traditional print with such a modern, chic shape!

• Reply True Bias September 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM

thanks dana, yeah i think that its a good combo. modern shape meets traditional fabric

• Reply Anto September 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Wow, they look fantastic!!! very chic indeed. I need to add this to my long list of selfish sewing.

• Reply True Bias September 16, 2014 at 4:34 PM

my list gets longer everyday!

• Reply Suzie September 16, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Beautiful, really beautiful

• Reply True Bias September 16, 2014 at 4:40 PM

thanks suzie, now to find somewhere to wear them!

• Reply Debbie Iles September 16, 2014 at 10:36 AM

These are so great! I love them.

• Reply Ginger September 16, 2014 at 11:10 AM

These are gorgeous!!!!!

• Reply crab&bee September 16, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I’ll bet those feel like a dream to wear!

• Reply True Bias September 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM

they really do. i really should have lined them, but didn’t think about it until it was too late. the silk feels great though.

• Reply Clio September 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Not old fashion at all! Very hip!

• Reply Amy September 16, 2014 at 12:47 PM

When I finally get a second to sew, I really want to make up a patterned pair of these pants. I just love them in floral! So fun!

• Reply True Bias September 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM

finding the time is the first huge hurdle right? sending sewing time vibes your way 🙂

• Reply lisa g September 16, 2014 at 1:25 PM

these are gorgeous! i love them done up in a drape-y woven. i’m a huge fan of granny florals, so i’m particularly in love with your fabric choice!

• Reply True Bias September 16, 2014 at 4:37 PM

i love granny florals too. as long as they are sewn with the right pattern. thanks lisa.

• Reply Aspen September 16, 2014 at 1:29 PM

These are stunning on you!!

• Reply True Bias September 16, 2014 at 4:36 PM

thanks aspen – you would look good in them too 🙂

• Reply Sarah - Fabric Tragic September 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Really lovely – chic and stylish!

• Reply Heather September 16, 2014 at 6:03 PM

These look beautiful and super glamorous! I must try woven hudsons!

• Reply Sassy T September 16, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Love these!!! You have just reminded me, I need to buy the Hudson next pay day. Am not experienced but I will be making these one day, mark my words.

• Reply True Bias September 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM

you can do it. just follow the sewalong and if you have issues send me an email.

• Reply Sassy T September 17, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Thanks lovely lady. Lucky enough my old tutor is starting up her sewing groups again. Armed with your sewalong and her I will have a cute pair of Hudson’s.

• Reply Dreama April 22, 2016 at 9:33 AM

i have a feeling in me, this is to say my eye is watchingwith keen interest on the occurances in cote d’voire.it is always dangerous to stay afar and mendel in peoplespersonal affairs, to the west and all alie please mind your bussines and let peace have it way in ivory coast.lastly, i think we should all pray to support our fellow man irrespective of our cr&;3,race,sex,e#82d0e.,thanks

• Reply Sophie September 16, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Yay! I’ve been awaiting the woven version of your Hudsons…and it did not disappoint! These are so so gorgeous and beautifully styled as always.

• Reply True Bias September 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM

thanks sophie. i wish i had finished my beaded necklace in time to wear with them 🙂

• Reply Rachel September 16, 2014 at 8:16 PM

They are gorgeous Kelli! That silk is divine. How did you go sewing it? I’ve got a silk pair of Hudsons on my summer sewing list.

• Reply True Bias September 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM

it wasnt hard to sew just like you said. its actually pretty great fabric to work with. a lot more crepe de chine on my list.

• Reply Mady September 17, 2014 at 4:13 AM

These look amazing! I love this fabric and the way you styled them!

• Reply coco September 17, 2014 at 5:22 AM

Cute! I just finished a pair in ITY knit. I did find that this pattern is more work than it appears to be at first glance! But it’s a fun project.

• Reply True Bias September 17, 2014 at 8:28 AM

i think that the waistband can get a little tricky and time consuming, but im glad that you enjoyed it.

• Reply Sara September 17, 2014 at 12:44 PM

These are SO beautiful! I love that silk print. Plus with the top and the shoes—you’re so fashionable, it’s so inspiring!

• Reply Juliana September 17, 2014 at 4:07 PM

what a beautiful fabric!
    it looks beautiful, so chic! very very pretty.

• Reply True Bias September 18, 2014 at 8:10 AM

thanks! it was a lucky find of fabric for sure.

• Reply emily marie September 17, 2014 at 4:27 PM

These are so gorgeous! I am making pants with the same silhouette right now, but much more casual. Love this dressed-up but still comfy looking vibe. Also, your hair is out-of-control gorgeous! We have a very similar natural color actually; was yours a more vibrant red as a kid, too?

• Reply True Bias September 18, 2014 at 8:06 AM

totally. i was a red head as a child for sure. always on the auburn side of things but unmistadenably red. its gotten more and more brown over the years.

• Reply kristin September 17, 2014 at 5:55 PM

oh they’re lovely! great print and they look so comfortable. haha honestly i was about to say you were looking slender until you said you’d gained weight recently! i guess the outfit is working in your favor! 😉

• Reply True Bias September 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM

haha, i think the heels help 🙂

• Reply sallie September 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

If I could manage to look HALF this hip when I’m a grandma I will be very pleased indeed! This look is fantastic! I think there is something really perfect about pairing this chintzy floral with such a modern pant, and the comfy, half-tucked blouse is a match made in heaven! You look gorgeous (as always!)

• Reply True Bias September 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM

thanks sallie, i think im gonna start saying that I dress like a hip grandma.

• Reply Stacy September 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Gorgeous and colorful print. And in combination with a simple white shirt looks stylish!

Sincerely, Stacy
    My Sewing & DIY Blog

• Reply Christine September 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Always feel like pants like this look so much better on everyone else! I’d love to try but I don’t know how to make it work! Lovely fabric though 🙂 looks great on you.

• Reply True Bias September 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM

i understand. with these pants i feel like its all about the styling – and heels help too:)

• Reply Jennifer, WORKROOM SOCIAL September 19, 2014 at 1:54 PM

These are so chic! Exactly what I’ve been dreaming of for fall in the city.

• Reply True Bias September 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

thanks jennifer. you would rock these.

• Reply maddie September 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM

You are a knockout in this! Whoa!

• Reply True Bias September 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM

thanks maddie! you are the sweetest.

• Reply Gail September 29, 2014 at 8:54 AM

The nicest print pants I’ve seen in blogland!

• Reply Jo - New Model Lamé October 4, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Wonderful! I can’t wait to make a pair of these.

• Reply Consu October 8, 2014 at 9:08 AM

These are awesome looking and really flattering!!! You show a real woman with a real body and look sophisticated, current & fun!! I would suggest that you add one of these pics to your product page. If I knew how to sew, I would immediately want the pattern if I saw this version (rather than the gray knit). Best of luck with your upcoming endeavors!! xx

• Reply Jennifer May 13, 2015 at 3:03 PM

I love these and would love to give them a try. I can’t quite make out the waistband though…I think you changed the original 2″ elasticated waistband? Could you give us a little more waistband info?

• Reply Perfect Pattern Parcel: Hudson Pants - Things for Boys January 26, 2016 at 3:38 AM

[…] There are heaps of amazing versions of the Hudson Pants around. Check out some of my favourites here, here and here. They will convince you that you need this pattern, even if my terrible photos […]