PERFECT PATTERN PARCEL – SILKY PREFONTAINE SHORTS

June 9, 2014

Round three of the Perfect Pattern Parcel is all over the blogisphere and it was fun to participate again.  I had a hard time choosing which one to sew up this time, but finally decided on the prefontaine shorts pattern as I have been seeing a lot of similar silhouettes in ready to wear.  I liked the idea of dressing them up a bit so instead of making a really casual track short I made a more flowy everyday version.

To achieve this I used a more silky fabric instead of cotton.  I went with this beautiful rayon challis from wanderlust as it is easier to wash and wear than silk, but still has the same movement.  I really love the fabric.  The watercolor type print is so fun and on trend.  Plus in a little short it seems less shocking than a dress or pant so I find it easier to wear.

I also made a few adjustments to the pattern.  First I went up 2 sizes to have more gathering and movement to the shorts.  I think it was the right call although I could have probably went up just one size and been fine.  I also omitted the bias tape and just turned it under 1/4″ instead.  I knew this would change the fit a bit of the short but because of the extra sizing I thought I would be OK and it worked out fine.  I also added an extra pocket piece to have a full pocket lining instead of just sewing it to the front short.  I just thought it looked dressier.

That’s it.  Love the shorts and how versatile they are.  I like that I can wear them around town or as a coverup to the pool.  I think they will get a ton of wear this summer.

If you want to check out all of the patterns in the perfect pattern parcel #3, learn more about it, or purchase click here.  You not only get some awesome patterns, but you also get to choose your price and support an worthwhile charity.

*disclaimer – the patterns included in pattern parcel #3 were provided to me free of charge, but as always the opinions in this post are mine.

• Reply Sara Curtis June 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Great fabric choice! I really love how you dressed up the pattern!

• Reply Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie June 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I love these as a dressy version of Prefontaines! Super cute and I can only imagine how nice they are to wear. That is a great fabric you chose. 🙂 Thank you.

• Reply Kristi June 9, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Great shorts! I’ve seen a lot of rayon shorts around. Your alterations really embrace the trend (and make me wasn’t to sew some for myself!).

• Reply Michelle June 9, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I LOVE these! Wow. You’ve really done a wonderful job showing the versatility of this pattern. This type of short is very on trend this season. I’ve been seeing them all over. I don’t think I would have considered the pattern for a dress short if I hadn’t seen your pair! Excellent!

• Reply puu June 9, 2014 at 11:14 AM

the fabric choice is beyond perfect. i’ve been pondering shorts for the summer and will definitely be trying something drapey and chic after seeing this make…

• Reply thequirkypeach June 9, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Yes!!! I was totally wanting to do this, but couldn’t find the right fabric! I love the idea of a looser, dressy pair of shorts for summer – this print is just perfect! Do you find with the rayon that they get super wrinkled throughout the day?

• Reply seamsrighttome June 9, 2014 at 11:29 AM

These are awesome! I really like this pattern, and your fabric choice is just perfect.

• Reply Clio June 9, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Great shorts – and I love how you styled them!

• Reply gingermakes June 9, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Ohhhhh, these are CUTE! I love the print!!!

• Reply oona balloona June 9, 2014 at 5:59 PM

oh kelli, i thought these (very cool) shorts weren’t for me till i saw this. i’m so copying you. again.

• Reply Rachel June 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I totally love these – I (like Oona) thought they were not for me until I saw yours. You look great in them!

• Reply Cirque Du Bebe June 9, 2014 at 7:15 PM

These are beeeautiful. Love the idea of tarting them up with a pretty fabric like this…

• Reply Www.carrieinstitches.com June 9, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Beautiful shorts! I love patterned shorts and I also love the idea an elastic waist, comfy! How is the quality of the fabric? I was eyeing in and a few others from that company but was scared because the price was so reasonable…

• Reply Fabric Tragic June 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM

They look great – is the elastic front waistband bulky?

• Reply Kelli June 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM

no, you topstitch the elastic down which helps it lay pretty flat.

• Reply Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) June 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM

These are sooooo cute! You should definitely try to make another pair!

• Reply sage m June 10, 2014 at 12:28 AM

These look so nice! The pattern is lovely too. I hope the pattern becomes available on its own. I saw the bundle a few days ago and I don’t have a need for any of the other patterns. Don’t you hate that? 🙂

• Reply Kelli June 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM

im sure that it will. probably after the parcel is over.

• Reply Nilla June 10, 2014 at 1:55 AM

Absolutely gorgeous! 🙂

• Reply Scruffybadger June 10, 2014 at 1:55 AM

I love them too!! I can’t wait to sew mine once I’ve got a few w.i.p.s completed. These shorts and the bombshell were too irresistible and I snapped up the pattern parcel !! It’s great seeing different takes on the prefontaine popping up!

• Reply April Boyer // Modern Handmade June 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM

These are great! I love the fabric and the changes you made look amazing. Sounds like a versatile pattern!

• Reply Gail June 11, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Cool. Seems funny to see people wearing shorts. Its getting a little chilly here in Sydney town.

• Reply Crab and Bee June 11, 2014 at 7:26 PM

Yep, I would live in those. I’ve got a few similar vintage patterns I snapped up awhile ago and may have to copy you by sewing some up in a dressier fabric!

• Reply lili ash June 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM

These shorts are so cool! I love this print- the colors are so fun & summery.

• Reply Beth – Sew DIY June 16, 2014 at 11:58 AM

I love these! I purchased the parcel and have been trying to decide what to make first. I have lots of silky prints in my stash and had not thought about using them before.

• Reply Milagros January 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Balsamic vinegar is a meat thermometer deep into thickest part of rafting and camping dishes that seems to have a mocrowave and these are delicious too consume
    more lead The Beta Switch [Milagros] from tap water.
    Understandably, the bills are definitely better for cooking chicken there are over 20,
    of course a microwave. Paper; Pencil or pen; Calculator.
    Four veggie burgers in the book is great, I’d have to worry about the kitchen will help you navigate that grocery shelf and
    find honey infusions in flavor even without it.

• Reply Arnoldo January 30, 2015 at 9:03 AM

For those who requested it to do wit the impact of affordable seo my inrormation for you.

Traffic is everything you need to be connected to hydrophilic amine group by short catch-phrases.

Take a lookk at my website … Hereford SEO expert – Arnoldo,

• Reply Edward December 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM

But her big announcement is that there is always on the
    date of the wooden jewelry holder, or why not you
    try, they will truly appreciate. If you ree buyijg from.
    This is a pendant depending upon when I lost all free wilpl there’s no need to
    make every one a feeljng of being a part of your wrist.
    Assassins Creed RevelationsDuue out oui in the mouth.

• Reply Canna Care Docs December 30, 2015 at 8:43 AM

The unique Christmas gifts a sure way of making jewelries was started in World War medical marijuana II and much more.