SEWN : BLACK JUMPSUIT MCCALLS 6083

April 14, 2014

Last fall I made most of this jumpsuit and put it in the pile of UFOs because it was starting to feel like a ridiculous idea.  You may remember this post when I talked about it.  Well, this weekend I had a birthday and wanted to wear something new and fun to celebrate in.  I knew that I didn’t have the time to make something brand new, so I picked this up for another try instead.  And I am so glad that I did!  I know that many are against the romper trend, but I have been converted.  I felt cute, on trend, and super comfy all day.

The base pattern is McCalls 6083.  As you can see I made a few changes including shortening the legs to make them mid calf, tapering the legs, and adding elastic to the bottom.  I think these changes just make it less formal, and more practical for my daily wear.  I also think that the shortened length allow it to extend further into the warmer months.

The fabric is my favorite bamboo knit from Mood fabrics.  As always it’s soft, has a great drape, and thick enough for good coverage.  I think that black is a good intro for me into the world of rompers.  I think it adds a dose of maturity to the silhouette.  The pattern says that you can use a woven fabric as well, but personally I think it would be nearly impossible to get in and out of it in a woven.

I think this is actually a pretty great pattern.  I love the cross of the top and short kimono sleeves.  I could see adding a shirt to the top for a great summer dress.

ps check out that weird stairway to no where behind me.  Such a mystery.

• Reply gingermakes April 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM

I love this on you! So much! It’s kinda funny- Oona and I were just emailing, and she mentioned that a certain celebrity wore a black jersey jumpsuit to a red carpet event, and I was all, “Psssh, our Kelli would wear one to the playground!” and then we diverted into talking about how awesome you are. It’s super funny that here you are in your chic black jumpsuit! Anyway, all that to say, I’m LOVING this look on you (like ALL your looks… do you ever not look amazing?!)!

• Reply oona balloona April 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM

i was JUST about to email ginger and write in all caps about this very thing!!!!

super. freaking. chic. as always, birthday girl. (and that weird stairwell….it’s like a stephen king story waiting to happen…)

• Reply gingermakes April 14, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

• Reply Clare April 14, 2014 at 12:04 PM

I’m not normally keen on this style but it looks fantastic on you, really elegant.

• Reply Peter Lappin April 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Love it — very chic looking!

• Reply Kristi April 14, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Love it, I can see the black dressed up or down. I’m not sure I have the personality to pull off a romper, but I will definitely try the bamboo knit. It looks great.

• Reply Kathy from The Nerdy Seamstress April 14, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I don’t really like jump suits at all, but after seeing you in your jumpsuit, I might have to reconsider! Like everyone above, you look very chic!

• Reply Madalynne April 14, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Jumpsuit a ridiculous idea? says who? Jumpsuits make up like 30% of my wardrobe! I think this looks great on you! Glad you turned this UFO into a finished garment.

• Reply Rian Krommenhoek April 14, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Seriously fabulous! Great drape. Love the alterations.

• Reply Karin- the F girl April 14, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Beautiful! And you could dress it up or down (add some heels and oh mama! ;-)). I love jumpsuits. Don’t have that many, but now I am inspired to sew some more.

• Reply Tabet April 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Sweet pictures and a great look! 🙂
    Kisses
    Tabea

Auf Wolke 3

• Reply Lisette April 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Jumpsuits are amazing, and because you are a New Yorker, you have of course made one that looks incredibly chic.

• Reply lisa g. April 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM

i’m so glad you finished this, it looks amazing on you!! so practical, so chic. dang, now i want a jumpsuit!

• Reply kristin April 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

look how chic you are, mama! love it. and happy birthday!!!

• Reply Christy April 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Happy birthday! What a great jumpsuit, very chic but very easy to wear. Perfect!

• Reply Neeno April 14, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Looks great, I really like it!! I need me a jumpsiot, looks so cosy made up in stretchy knit. Want, want, want!

• Reply thequirkypeach April 14, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Tres chic!! Love this style on you, and the black is spot on. I have been playing around with the jumper / romper idea in my head recently and this has confirmed it – they are super cool! 🙂

• Reply Cirque Du Bebe April 14, 2014 at 7:21 PM

So so great. I love the jumpsuit trend too, and definitely have one planned for the not too distant future. You are right too I think about black being a good color to start your foray into jumpsuits in, totally changes the vibe and makes it current.

• Reply Fabric Tragic April 14, 2014 at 8:34 PM

It looks great on you – the colour is just perfect, and looks great with the tan accessories – modern, uber chic and whilst I’m not sure I could rock the onesie you absolutely can/do/must!

• Reply Suzanne April 14, 2014 at 9:01 PM

LOVE, love love! It’s so chic. And that staircase to nowhere is the perfect photo shoot spot!

• Reply Clio April 14, 2014 at 9:18 PM

This is fantastic on you – so chic and yet casual too. I am in the pro-jumpsuit camp. This is great!

• Reply Charlie Wensley April 14, 2014 at 11:16 PM

This looks fantastic and I’m so glad you think the fabric is a good choice as I have the exact same combination under my needle now!

• Reply Crab and Bee April 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Too funny, I made this pattern up last year and just made a similar refashion to the leg shape! Now I think I’ll wear it more 🙂 I love how classy and flattering yours turned out – I think black jersey was a great call! I hope you had a festive birthday.

• Reply Scruffybadger April 15, 2014 at 2:14 AM

Gosh, I have think you look super stylish, and I never thought I would say that about jumpsuits! Enjoy wearing it and looking most definitely ‘a list’ and hope your birthday was a good one 🙂

• Reply Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) April 15, 2014 at 7:48 AM

This is soooooo awesome on you! Love that you changed it up to make it more you!

• Reply Clare Szabo April 15, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Oh wow, Kelli you look fab in this! I def want to make this. (p.s. great meeting you last month) xx

• Reply Mary April 15, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Yes! This is a great look for you. Enjoy 🙂

• Reply pootleandmake April 15, 2014 at 5:56 PM

You look FAB-U-LOUS. Your jumpsuit looks so much better than the designs on the pattern envelope.

• Reply Lisa April 15, 2014 at 6:32 PM

This looks completely perfect and comfy and stylish and so very good on you!

• Reply Justine of SewCountryChick April 15, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I love it!!!

• Reply Reana Louise April 15, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! Also, how good is bamboo jersey? I’m currently playing with some at the moment and totally smitten.

• Reply liza jane April 15, 2014 at 10:59 PM

You look amazing! So very chic. You may have just changed my mind about jumpsuits.

• Reply sewamysew.com April 15, 2014 at 11:37 PM

You look fabulous in this! Definitely perfect for a knit and those pant leg modifications are spot on. Tres chic.

• Reply katherine h April 16, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I think jumpsuits are so chic! You have really pulled this look off.

• Reply Bec Stitches April 16, 2014 at 7:14 AM

Super cute, I made one of these ageessss ago, but never really wear it 🙁
    I should taper it in at the bottom I think, I like the way the elastic sits on yours 🙂

• Reply Mindy Holmes April 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I love how it looks on you . And yes the pattern does say it can be made with a woven ….and yes it was impossible for me it get in it . I had to separate the 2 pieces and add a peplem …..and move from there. But I will make it again …with a knit !

• Reply Laura April 16, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Lovely outfit! Looks nice on you.

• Reply Katy Patzel April 17, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Ugggg. LOVE this!

• Reply Laura April 19, 2014 at 4:13 AM

This is really lovely. I’m a little unsure of jumpsuits, but mostly because I felt quite disheartened by the trend after trying one on in a shop (pre sewing days) and struggling to contort my long old body into the thing. That was such a bad look. However, a properly fitting one could be fantastic.

• Reply busylizzieinbrizzy.com April 20, 2014 at 12:44 PM

What an amazing look for you – you are totally rocking the jumpsuit look. Super flattering and chic!

• Reply puu April 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM

looks comfy, sexy and sophisticated – the holy trinity! great work. i’m seriously considering stealing this idea for my very own!

• Reply Beth – Sew DIY April 21, 2014 at 7:20 PM

It looks great! I made the shorts version of this jumpsuit in a woven and it is really hard to get in and out of. I actually added a zipper to the side, to make it easier. But it’s still such a pain that I don’t wear it that often. But it’s a really cute pattern! Maybe I’ll have to do it in a knit. 🙂

• Reply Jennifer, Workroom Social April 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM

you are too hip!! this is a great look on you.

• Reply Gail April 24, 2014 at 5:49 AM

I really like your jumpsuit. Black and jumpsuit just go together, and at my age is the only coloured jumper that I’d feel right in.

• Reply Elsie Lorpu April 27, 2014 at 7:21 PM

I like yours. I just did the same thing on nap fabric and was freaking out, but it wasn’t so bad. Is your fabric stretch knit?
    I but elastic as well, but mine is a bit shorter.

• Reply sophie May 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM

gorgeous:) wow!! congrats it is very beautiful!

• Reply Lisa Horwitz May 3, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Thank you so much for the inspiration! I had made the strapless version of this pattern twice, and never considered the other bodice version until I saw your post. I had some black denim-look rayon knit in my stash and promptly made it up the other day with your suggested variations. I wore it today and got lots of compliments. Thank you for making me look so chic and creative!!!

• Reply Jenna May 6, 2014 at 8:13 AM

This is adorable! Great job!