PERFECT PATTERN PARCEL : SHIBORI DYED CONCERT TEE

March 13, 2014

I am sure that you all have noticed that there have been a crazy amount of concert tees sewn up by the Perfect Pattern Parcel blog tour.  Apparently we all needed some more slouchy tees in our lives.  I would apologize, but I just can’t because I love this tee too much.  It’s just such a great pattern.  I’m pretty sure that I am going to wear it out this summer.

I did make a few changes to the pattern.  First I lengthened the front by about 3 inches.  As much as I like the midriff trend this spring, my post baby stretch marks don’t agree so I am going to be keeping this belly covered for the time being.  I also added two inches to the neckband length.  It seemed a little short for the neckline, but in retrospect I would have only added an inch as it now gapes a bit in the front.  Lastly, instead of hemming the sleeves I folded the band in half, shortening it by a couple of inches.  I just thought that it was an easier and cleaner way to attach the sleeves.

The fabric is some white bamboo knit from Fabric.com.  I used a shibori technique to dye it which I will be posting a tutorial for tomorrow.  I’m pretty excited about how it turned out.  The fabric is soft and has just enough weight to hang and drape beautifully.  I am a big fan of bamboo knits in general.

Just as a tip the hem is very curved which makes it a beast to hem.  Originally I tried to just serge and turn it and it wasn’t going well.  Then I decided to add some fusible hem tape and it made all of the difference (if you have never tried this stuff before you should – it’s a miracle worker on knits).  Because it is such a flowy hem it will really never need to stretch so I decided to just use a simple straight stitch instead of my twin stretch needle to finish it and it worked perfectly.

As you can tell this pattern has been a real favorite of a lot of people – me included.  I have a simple black version already on the books.  It sews up super fast with a serger and the style is on trend and flattering to wear with leggings or skinny jeans for the warmer weather on it’s way (or if you are braver than I – short cutoffs).

You have just about a week left to buy the Perfect Pattern Parcel which includes this pattern along with four other great ones.  I love that this parcel is not only supporting indie patternmakers, but it’s also sending a portion of the proceeds to charity.  And to top it all off you get to choose your own price.  Click here to go and check it all out if you havn’t already.

• Reply Fooniks March 13, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Bamboo knits are great. I discovered the amazingness of it last year. Unfortunately it’s kind of hard to get my hands on it.

• Reply rachael {imagine gnats} March 13, 2014 at 8:02 AM

ack! this is gorgeous, Kelli! can’t wait to see more about the shibori. thanks so much for sharing PPP!! xo

• Reply Jennifer Shaw March 13, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Thank you so much for posting this!! I have been eyeing up a few of these patterns and its such a good charity too 🙂

• Reply Rebecca Wagner March 13, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Totally concert worthy!

• Reply lisa g. March 13, 2014 at 8:25 AM

this is beautiful! i love that you dyed the fabric, can’t wait to see your method.

• Reply Monica Swift March 13, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Love your dying technique…it completely fits the ‘concert t’ look. I love how you finished the sleeves, and that those bands are darker. I never thought of using the hem tape on a knit! I made the lady skater from this parcel last week and it would have been great to have for that hem.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee March 13, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Kelli! This is so awesome! LOVE the shibori dye! It turned out great!! And that sort of swingy, swishy tee is just what I want to be living in this summer! Great make!

• Reply gingermakes March 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM

This looks great! I love the shibori technique! Absolutely gorgeous!

• Reply Angela March 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM

This is awesome! I’m looking forward to your shibori post, I love the way your fabric turned out. Beautiful!

• Reply Kristi March 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Very nice. I have some fabric I’ve been meaning to dye. Can’t wait to see the tutorial.

• Reply Crystal Pelkey March 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM

beautiful, can’t wait to see how you dyed it!

• Reply Katy Patzel March 15, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I love the shibori dying! I’m so excited that you’ve made a tutorial. Beautiful.

• Reply yosami March 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Great tee Kelli, this pattern is addictive isn’t it! I’ve wanted to do some shibori for ages now, I even bought the dye so can’t wait to see your tutorial.

• Reply Shibori Prefontaine Shorts | Design By Lindsay January 24, 2015 at 10:24 PM

[…] of Stitched’s use of linen for her Prefontaine shorts as well as Kelli of True Bias’s shibori summer concert tee from PPP #1. This was my first experiment with shibori dyeing as well as my first time working with […]

• Reply Sewing Indie Month with True Bias: Summer Concert Tank All in one DIY & Fun | All in one DIY & Fun October 12, 2015 at 10:28 PM

[…] Concert Tee by Dixie. I made it up a couple of years ago in some hand dyed shibori fabric and that top is still in regular rotation in my wardrobe. I’ve always wanted to make a tank top version of […]

• Reply Sewing Indie Month with True Bias: Summer Concert Tank – Dixie DIY April 27, 2016 at 8:01 PM