SEWING SEWING FOR KIDS

RED TODDLER JACKET AND ORGANIC COTTON PLUS FABRIC

February 17, 2014
I had a wonderful experience with Organic Cotton Plus when I reviewed some of their cotton knit last summer so I was very excited when they contacted me again to try out some of their other fabrics.  I have been wanting to make my daughter a classic jacket for the spring so I knew that this would be the perfect opportunity to do so.  I chose to use their 100% organic cotton twill in chili pepper red.  It’s a beautiful, sturdy fabric.  It washed up well and has the perfect amount of crispness for such a project.  I was very excited about the color once it arrived as well – a deep red that looks rich and classic, although I must admit that it was a hard decision to choose a color (I love this honey and olive color as well).  Not only am I thrilled with how the jacket turned out, but I also love the fact that I know that the fabric that it is created with is an eco-friendly product, and a healthy choice for her skin.

Pattern : Burda 9501

Materials Used: The main fabric is 100% Organic Cotton Twill in Chili Pepper Red from Organic Cotton Plus.  I lined the jacked with some cotton from my stash in this fun NYC map print.

Sizing:  One of the best things about this pattern is the sizing.  My daughter measured right as a 4T according to their chart and the jacket actually fits her correctly.  It has a nice slim cut to it too.  This never happens with big name pattern companies so I was very pleasantly surprised.

Changes Made: I cut 1/8″off of the outside edge of the bottom collar piece to help it roll correctly (something that I picked up at patternmaking class).  I also omitted the back tab and shifted the button placement so that the bottom on was about 2 inches lower.

The Good:  I really love the fit and design of this jacket.  It’s super classic and chic.  I am made at myself for cutting straight into the pattern because I can see myself making my daughter a new one of these every spring in a new fabric.  Once again I am just so pleased with the fit.

The Bad:  Oh man, the directions were just bad.  Especially when it came to the collar.  I feel like I pretty much just had to figure it out myself.  So consider yourself warned that if you are going to make this pattern make sure that you are a patient person.  There is also a lot of hand sewing especially when it comes to hemming and it gets a little tricky doing so with the lining.

Conclusion:  Despite the bad instructions I will certainly be making this one again.  I am very excited about the end result and I can’t wait for it to get a bit warmer so that she can wear it.

• Reply gingermakes February 17, 2014 at 3:37 PM

This is ADORABLE! I basically want this exact same coat. Actually, I’m pretty sure if I peeked into your daughter’s wardrobe, I would want everything you’ve made for her!

• Reply Catlin February 17, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Really, really, really cute! I’m so impressed and tempted to try one myself! Love it!

• Reply lisa g. February 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM

i love this jacket! these classic silhouettes look so great on kids. i’ve been sewing lots of burda’s kids patterns because they actually fit like they should! poor instructions aside, burda is often my go-to.

• Reply Renee // nearest the pin February 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Gorgeous colour Kelli! I love the classic look of this jacket, such a shame that kids have to grow otherwise she could wear this forever!?!

• Reply Beth February 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Great jacket. Love the lining fabric, too.

• Reply gail February 18, 2014 at 2:34 AM

oh i love this pattern! i made it too, and was so happy with the fit and the end result. i love the twill and the fun lining and those buttons, she looks so cute!

• Reply Dk's Wife February 18, 2014 at 5:39 AM

It is such a cute coat. The color is amazing.

• Reply Madalynne February 18, 2014 at 6:28 AM

Oh my! How dreaming adorable! Your daughter looks awesome and I can’t wait for spring!!

• Reply Fabric Tragic February 18, 2014 at 6:58 AM

I would have loved this as a little girl – does she have a matching umbrella? So sweet!

• Reply mokosha February 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM

it’s super cute! what a stylish little girl she is! i actually have a really similar coat, now i only need those fabulous cheetah shoes 🙂

• Reply angela February 18, 2014 at 10:57 AM

This is so so cute, you couldn’t find a cuter little girls jacket if you tried. Love the buttons that you chose!

• Reply pootleandmake February 18, 2014 at 1:39 PM

OMG do they do this for grown ups!!!! This little jacket is beyond cute. Absolutely adorable and I love the colour you’ve chosen

• Reply kristin February 20, 2014 at 12:54 AM

such a great coat, love the red and love the shape of it! she’s adorable.

• Reply Bobbie July 29, 2015 at 12:05 AM

This Burma pattern is simply the best. I have made two jackets for my grandson, yes, a boy. One out of a black and gray herringbone and another out of a navy twill. I would highly recommend this pattern.

• Reply Organic Cotton Yarn Supplier December 6, 2016 at 4:46 AM

Such a nice color. Suits on your girl.