SEWING SEWING FOR KIDS

SEWN : BURDA CAP SLEEVE DRESS

January 15, 2014

Pattern:  Burda Cap Sleeve Dress 09/2012 #152

Materials Used: Beautiful and thick blue Ponte Knit from Mood Fabrics.  I love the ponte’s that they sell and have used them for various projects.  Very soft and structured knit with a nice heavy drape to them.

Sizing: I cut the size 104 for my size 4T girl and it was a little wide and short, but after a couple of changes it was good.

Changes Made: I took about an inch out of the front and back to narrow the bodice.  I also lengthened the skirt by about an inch.

The Good:  I love how classic the cut of this dress is.  I knew it was a good compromise for my daughter and I – girly enough for her, but simple and modern enough for me.  I have plans to make another one already.  It sewed up really quickly and I love the way the way it looks on her.

The Bad:  Like most Burdastyle patterns it did not come with seam allowances – not my favorite, but luckily there were only a few pattern pieces so it didn’t take too long.  Also, as I said above, the bodice is a bit wide and the skirt a bit short.

Conclusion:  Definitely a pattern that I will go back to.  You could easily make this sleeveless and I think I may add a little peter-pan collar next time.  I love how classic the dress is and am really happy with the end result.

• Reply nest full of eggs January 15, 2014 at 10:56 AM

So lovely! And it looks really comfortable in that knit fabric.
    I’m wondering is it a European designer? I’ve noticed European designers tend to have shorter dresses and skirt for girls.
    I just realized that this sewing pattern would be perfect for knocking off some Marie Chantal dresses like this one: http://www.mariechantal.com/products/details/i/492-a2gry/n/gathered-dress.aspx

• Reply Kelly D. January 15, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Very, very cute, both the dress and the kid! She looks so happy!

• Reply Peter Lappin January 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Gorgeous — the kid, the dress (the color esp.) and the photography!

• Reply Clio January 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM

So cute! And very classic.

• Reply Amy. January 15, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Oh my gosh – so cute!!!

• Reply SunGold January 15, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Adorable, and the knit makes it wearable for active children. Anybody else noticing a trend toward box pleats?

• Reply gingermakes January 15, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Wow, this is so sweet! I love the photos, too!

• Reply Lori January 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

Such a cute dress but even a cuter model. Great job.

• Reply Whitney Hardie January 15, 2014 at 2:31 PM

So nice! Now Ellie is begging me to make one for her – she can’t understand why Mom’s sewing skills are quite like Kelli’s.

• Reply Vanessa January 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM

CUTE!!!!

• Reply Debbie Iles January 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I love this dress. I love ponte for girls clothes. And it works so beautifully in this dress. You make me want to hunt down that pattern!

• Reply kristin January 15, 2014 at 5:20 PM

this is SO cute. love ponte knit too, that maternity skirt i made myself is SO comfortable but nice and structured too. the blue is perfect on her!!

• Reply lisa g. January 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM

i love this dress! the blue is beautiful on her. i’ve always loved this pattern but haven’t had an opportunity to make it for any of my girls!

• Reply sweeter than cupcakes January 15, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Very pretty blue. That knit looks like the perfect pick!

• Reply Lucinda Poel January 15, 2014 at 9:48 PM

this is so lovely! love the shade of blue . . . looks gorgeous on her! Thanks for the review on the Burda pattern – it’s always nice to be able to learn from someone else’s experience with a pattern.

• Reply Crystal Pelkey January 15, 2014 at 10:01 PM

This dress is gorgeous! I’ve yet to sew with a Burda pattern but I definitely want to try this one.

• Reply Uta January 16, 2014 at 6:25 AM

I love the blue on her, and the simple style of the dress. Pretty girl, gorgeous dress. Well done!

• Reply Rachel January 16, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Holy moly she looks adorable. I love the idea of making it out of a knit.

• Reply angela January 16, 2014 at 10:50 PM

So so sweet. Would love to see if you add a peter pan collar! Such a lucky daughter you have!

• Reply annanic January 17, 2014 at 2:54 PM

This is so adorable! I honestly wouldn’t have guessed it from the Burda website, but that’s a cute pattern and I love the pleats. And your little girl is so cute, she looks a lot like you.

• Reply liza jane January 18, 2014 at 4:28 PM

She’s adorable! And so is the dress!

• Reply needleandted January 19, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Not the style I would normally go for if I just saw the pattern, but your finished piece has made me change my mind. I’m quite tempted to sew one for my daughter. I was just wondering though why the darts on the bodice? I thought darts were for women, mainly because of bust. Not sure I like it on a kid. If I were to make one I think I’d eliminate the darts. What’s your opinion?

• Reply Yvonne Maisonette January 29, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I have to say I agree. I love the dress but don’t feel the darts are age appropriate.

• Reply Meg @ Mood Fabrics January 22, 2014 at 2:11 PM

How adorable is your daughter in this dress! Well done.

• Reply Crosby January 23, 2014 at 6:00 AM

“BURDA CAP SLEEVE DRESS” seems to me sound like very nice. I’m pretty sure that everyone will like this dress and also be willing to buy thjs for their sweet cute girl. Thanks mate 🙂

• Reply Jennifer, Workroom Social February 12, 2014 at 12:48 PM

she is just darling! a beautiful make.

• Reply 24 hour ac repair service north miami fl August 20, 2014 at 3:17 AM

I every time spent my half an hour to read this
    website’s articles everyday along with a cup of
    coffee.

my page: 24 hour ac repair service north miami fl

• Reply Clothing Bangladesh November 3, 2016 at 5:40 AM

The dress is gorgeous and the girl looks very pretty. I think some elegant print or embroidery on it could make this more flashy.

Clothing Manufacturer Bangladesh