TUTORIALS

2013 HANDMADE ORNAMENT EXCHANGE

December 20, 2013

It has been so fun to head up the ornament exchange again this year.  Every afternoon we run down to the post office box to see if we have received a little package with something for our tree.  It’s our first year to ever have a Christmas tree and thanks to all of my sewing friends it is full of beautiful handmade ornaments.  Look at all of the amazing ornaments that we now have.  Click on the coordinating number or blog link to see the tutorials/information for all of the ornaments that you see so that you can make them too.

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 / 9
Miranda of One Little Minute
Sonja of Gingermakes
Krista of Lazy Saturdays
Jennifer of Workroom Social
Laney of Katy and Laney
Kelli of True Bias

Clay State Ornament Tutorial:

I decided that I had plenty of sewing projects on my table for the season so chose to work with clay this year instead for my ornament.  They are really easy to make and I am so excited to show you how.

Materials:
-Clay (bakeable) – red and another color of choice
-Paper outline of your state (about 3-4 inches tall)
-xacto knife
-glue
-string
-chopstick
-satin clay glaze
-paint sponge

Step 1

Roll out your clay until its about 1/4″ or less thick.  Place outline on top of it and use the xacto knife to cut out the shape of your state.

Step 2

Remove your paper outline and use the small end of the chopstick to make a heart indentation at the location of your desired city.

Step 3

Make a very small heart with a small piece of red clay and insert it into the heart indentation on your state.  Smooth out the heart with your finger/chopstick.

Step 4

Take a small piece of clay and roll it out into a snake.  Fold it in half leaving a circle loop for your string and flatten the rest with your finger.

Step 5

Bake according to package instructions and let cool completely.

Step 6

Glue the thread loop to the back of your ornament and tie a piece of string through it.

Step 7

Coat the front of the ornament with clay satin glaze and let dry.

All done!  Between the ornament exchange and my family I pretty much made every state you could imagine, not to mention a bunch of Manhattan shaped ones for my neighbors.

• Reply Ramona December 20, 2013 at 10:48 AM

I would love to see your ornament, but no photos are showing. Just an FYI: I’m on a Windows computer in Firefox browser.

• Reply gingermakes December 20, 2013 at 12:17 PM

These are so very cute! Thanks so much for organizing– I had so much fun!

• Reply Kelly D. December 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I love it! Also, I’ve loved watching this ornament exchange, this year and last. Thanks for putting it together!

• Reply Amy December 20, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Making state ornaments is a great idea! I think I even have some clay around here somewhere… I love the others, too. Yay for another great year of ornament exchanging!

• Reply Jen December 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Super cute, I can’t wait to get mine in the mail…hopefully today!! Happy Holidays and thanks again for organizing this awesome swap!

• Reply Steve Finnell December 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM

CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD?

On the Day of Pentecost Peter quoted the prophet Joel (Acts 2:21’And it shall be that everyone who call on the name of the Lord will be saved.’)

To call on the name of the Lord is to acknowledge the authority and power of the Lord, and follow in obedience by meeting the terms of pardon.

The apostle Peter did not tell those on the Day of Pentecost to say the “sinner’s prayer.” Saying the “sinner’s prayer” is not calling on the name of the Lord.

Peter preached the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of Jesus. Peter declared the Jesus was Lord and Christ. (Acts 2: 22-26) They obviously believed Peter’s preaching because they asked the question(Acts 2:37 …..”Brethren what shall we do?”)
    Peter did not tell them to say the “sinner’s prayer.” What was Peter’s response to their question? (Acts 2:38 Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.)

THE NARRATIVE OF CALLING ON THE NAME OF THE LORD.
    1. FAITH: Believe in the death, burial, and bodily resurrection of Jesus. Accept Jesus as Lord and Savior.
    2. CONFESSION: Acknowledge Jesus as the Christ and the Son of God.
    3. REPENTANCE: Make the commitment to turn from sin and turn toward God.
    4. WATER BAPTISM: Be immersed into Christ for the forgiveness of your sins.

HOW DID THE ETHIOPIAN EUNUCH CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD? (Acts 8:25-40

1. Philip preached Jesus to him. (Acts 8:35)
    2. He confessed Jesus as The Christ the Son of God. (Acts 8:37)
    3. He was baptized in water. Immersed by Philip. (Acts 8:38-39)
    The Ethiopian eunuch did not say the sinner’s pray nor was he asked to do so by Philip.

Romans 10:13 for “WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.”

Romans 10:9-10 that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

To call on the name of the Lord is to acknowledge His power and authority and confess Him as Lord and Christ . (Acts 2:26,Acts 8:37, Romans 10:9-10) To call on the Name of the Lord is to repent and be baptized. (Acts 2:38)

WE ARE TOLD TO CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD TO BE SAVED.

We are never told we are saved by “faith only.” We are never told that saying the “sinner’s prayer” is calling on the name of the Lord.

IF SAYING THE “SINNER’S PRAYER” IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR SALVATION? THEN WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR SALVATION.

THE REQUIREMENTS!
    9. Baptized into Christ: Galatians 3:27
    10. Believe: Acts 16:30-31
    11. Repentance and baptism: Acts 2:38
    12. God’s mercy, water baptism, and the Holy Spirit: Titus 3:5
    13. Water baptism: Colossians 2:12-13
    14. Repentance: Acts 3:19

IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED THESE REQUIREMENTS—THEN YOU HAVE CALLED ON THE NAME OF THE LORD!

YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

• Reply Erica December 21, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I had so much fun! Thanks for hosting! Your ornaments are so clever! 🙂

• Reply Jennifer, Workroom Social December 22, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Kelli, I had so much fun participating in this year’s ornament exchange. Thank you for inviting me! And thank you so much for my ornament. I think I mentioned this to you already, but it’s my first NY ornament and will be cherished for years to come. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

• Reply Krista December 23, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Kelli your ornament is SO COOL! I’m seriously going to find a place to hang it year round! Thank you so much for it! The exchange turned out awesome!

• Reply angela December 24, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Such a great idea, I love the sweet little heart. Thank you for organizing this, it was so much fun!