SEWING ON TREND : BLACK JUMPSUITS

March 27, 2013

I have a small obsession right now with black jumpsuits.  Paired with some ballet flats and a skinny belt it seems like the perfect sophisticated mom outfit.  Don’t get me wrong, I love patterned jumpsuits as well, I just think that the black is a little easier to pull off.
I have been doing a little research into creating my own and it seems like there are a couple of options.  For my purposes I am leaning towards little kimono style sleeves, breastfeeding friendly, pockets, and gathered at the ankle.
Option #1 :
Image above : McCall’s 6083 Jumpsuit pattern
This pattern is pretty darn close to what I am looking for.  I love the sleeves and the pockets.  I also think that the neckline will work great with breastfeeding (although I think I would add a snap to keep it closed).  The only real change that I will need to make is the add some elastic into the bottom of the leg to have it gather at my ankles.
Option #2 :
Image above : Salme Playsuit pattern
I really like this pattern as well.  The sleeves and neckline are both great.  I also love that it has pockets and beltloops.  The only change that I would need to make here is to lengthen the  shorts into pants and add some elastic at the ankles.
So what do you guys think?  Do you like the comeback of the jumpsuit?

Would you wear it or make it?

If so which pattern should I use?

• Reply Suzanne March 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM

LOVE the Salme patterns one. A bit more work to lengthen the pants, but it would be worth it. You’ll be the cutest mom at the playground.

• Reply Kelli Ward March 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

yeah, ive been eyeing that pattern for awhile. i am suprised more havnt already made it up.

• Reply Mae March 27, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I think it could be pulled off and i really like #2 & #3 of your choices. I think pattern #2 is a bit more modern and flattering. I like being able to eyeball another person’s project& see what is going on in their brain. Thanks!

Mae

• Reply Kelli Ward March 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM

yeah, its hard to imagine without seeing a real life version. hope mine turns out good.

• Reply Heather Lou March 27, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I feel you girl. I bought this DKNY pattern last year to make the same thing (http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v1308-products-22882.php?page_id=264). Seems so fun to wear for spring. Except when you really have to pee and have to basically get undressed to do it. Love the gathered ankle look too! I think go for the McCalls. Less modifications.

• Reply Kelli Ward March 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM

oh, i like that pattern a lot. wouldn’t work for me because of breastfeeding, but i really think you should make it up. i would love to see it.
      and the peeing thing- never even crossed my mind.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee March 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

I’m totally on board! I’ve been eyeing up jumpsuit patterns for awhile now! These two are great starting points. Personally I really love the McCall’s one because I find the shoulder pleating to be a really flattering design feature for most women. Also, yeah, less modifications is a good thing!

• Reply Kelli Ward March 27, 2013 at 10:37 AM

yeah, i like the shoulder detail too. i am hoping that if i do it in a more drapey fabric than the cover then it will lie down nicer too.

• Reply lisa g. March 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

i’ve finally come around to the jumpsuit, and have been eyeing them more and more lately! love the idea of doing it in black. i think i prefer the mccalls version, but just barely!

• Reply gingermakes March 27, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Wow, this would be so cute on you! I love the idea of making it in black– it will seem so urban and sophisticated. Can’t wait to see this! Either pattern is nice, although I really like the Salme pattern (despite having heard that their instructions lack detail and they don’t have seam allowances, blech).

• Reply Kelly March 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

I actually like jumpsuits on other people, but I don’t know if I could ever pull it off. It would look great on you though! Black is a great choice – very sleek and versatile.

• Reply Tess March 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I love the look of jumpsuits, but for practicality reasons, I don’t think I’d wear one myself. Like Heather Lou said, you’d have to get undressed to use the bathroom and that just doesn’t work for me. Maybe I’d go for a matching blouse and shorts/pants set and tuck the blouse in. With an elastic waist or a belt, it would look very similar to a jumpsuit.

• Reply Clio March 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I made the Mark & James V1249 jumpsuit a while back when jumpsuits were just starting to show up again. I LOVE it. It’s a confident and stylish look – you should totally go for it! I think Mimi G made (and reviewed) the McCalls one.

• Reply Carolyn March 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Sadly I don’t think that I could pull off that look…but I bet it would look fantastic on you!!

• Reply sarahp March 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Salme! The pattern is delightful and looks much easier to feed in.

• Reply Gail March 28, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Burda magazine has had some great jumpsuits over the last few years. Personally I don’t like the McCalls pattern – it looks a bit baggy and that neckline might be prone to ‘wardrobe malfunction’.

• Reply Alissa March 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM

hi kelli – just saying hi. i like to check in on you and dream that one day i’ll take up sewing. want to see this jumpsuit! and i back-read a bunch of posts. you’re beautiful and you look awesome in that floral button-up. and i want to meet baby B. love ya – alissa

• Reply Pedro Barcellos April 4, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I love Jumpsuits, and I really liked the Black pattern jumpsuits..looks very cool… I really want the same!

• Reply Kelli April 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

The Salme is my favorite, but I really like it with the shorts. Of course we’re already gearing up for a long summer here in Florida, so that may be why…

• Reply Jessica April 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I’m not a fan of jump suits at all. They kind of scream, “You’ll back on a picture of you in one one day and ask yourself what you were thinking”. While some people can maybe “pull them off” I just think there are so many other beautiful things to be considered before I’d pick a jumpsuit. =(