December 19, 2012

I finished my sister’s Gaptastic Cowl in the wee hours of the night and sent it off this morning.  I managed to snap a few iphone pics before I wrapped it.  I am pretty excited about the way it turned out.  It really is the perfect beginner project.  I plan on making another one for myself in a mustard color.

My only complaint is that the 2 skeins of yarn that it suggests only made a 10 inch wide cowl (instead of the 15 inches in the description).  It is plenty wide enough, but I think I will buy 3 skeins next time to make it extra bulky and fun.

I used Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick yarn in a Turquoise color.

For those of you who are true beginners like me, here are some youtube videos that really helped me through the whole process:

Gap Cowl Knit-Along : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCgtDM0EOwg

Adding a New Ball of Yard : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA7r8REfNDU

Binding Off : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIhhAM5MFbQ

Weaving in Ends : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfkJxcr027Q

• Reply Neeno December 19, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Love this!!!!!!

• Reply Carolyn December 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Wow! It’s gorgeous and it actually looks like it’ll be plenty big! Such a pretty color too!

• Reply Christy Constable December 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for the video tips!

• Reply Lucinda Campbell December 19, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I’ve had this in my queue on Ravelry for a year now and I really really *need* to make this pattern. I love how the turquoise color turned out!

• Reply Kristi December 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Love the color choice. Looks so cozy I might have to knit one, too.

• Reply Rae December 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

nice!! that turned out really great!!

• Reply Nancy December 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Wow, just gorgeous and so bright and cheery, you should be so proud, well done!

• Reply BusyLizzie December 20, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Awesome – it looks just like mine!! I hope it is just as comfy and warm.

• Reply emily.marie December 20, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Oh these are SO cute & useful! I made a bunch with the Marian pattern (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marian-2) last year, and everyone seemed to love them. 🙂 It’s similar but incorporates a half twist after casting on to make it lay really nicely. Love how yours turned out and LOVE that lipstick colour!

• Reply gingermakes December 20, 2012 at 4:55 PM

This really looks nice! I bet your sister will love it!

• Reply poppykettle December 20, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I saw this just the other day and thought it would be perfect for a desperate-knitter-wannabe like me. THANYOU for the links as well. Your’s looks fabulous!! Dumb question… does a skein have a standard length?

• Reply Sewing Princess December 22, 2012 at 1:16 PM

It’s a great present! I’m sure your sis will love it. I’m making one too with straight needles

• Reply Sew Brunswick December 23, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Super lovely! You’re tempting me to start knitting!!

• Reply Erica December 23, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I’m a big time crocheter and keep meaning to learn to knit. This cowl is amazing (and the name is just hilarious)!! Thanks for the YouTube links. Also, I started using that same Lion Brand yarn on a few projects lately. I love how quick projects come together with that big, chunky yarn. I made a cowl recently too. Here’s a link if you’d like to check it out:

Hope you’re enjoying the holidays!! 🙂

• Reply Clio December 30, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Oh hooray! It looks great!

• Reply Ariel January 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I just did this as my first knitting project. I don’t know how but mine is like twice as big as that (and it’s not 15 inches). I love it. Keeps me warm in all this NY wind. Are you on Ravelry?