September 4, 2012

(a little prego shot 🙂

(the lining)

I finished my first item from my garment district fabric excursion a little over a week ago.  Since I have already made this blazer once before, it went pretty quickly and I didn’t have to do any fitting.  I did decide to do a lining in this one.  Since the original didn’t have a lining I used Grainline’s tutorials to draft a lining and then to bag the lining.  Awesome tutorials.  It went great and I am super excited about how professional this one turned out.

• Reply anto September 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Yes, it does look very professional. Great job! I love it and the fabric is beautiful.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

thanks anto. im pretty excited about it myself.

• Reply soisewedthis September 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Looks amazing! Love the fabric choices

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM

thank you. i was pretty excited with the fabric as well. it was a lucky find.

• Reply joellestlaurent September 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

This looks faboulous! You gotta love the sense of accomplishment when you are done sewing something like this 😉

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM

yes, now if it would just get cooler so i could wear it!

• Reply Madalynne September 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Damn girl! You are a fast seamstress. This jacket is killer. The lining detail with its pop of color is amazing. Bravo AND a standing ovation!

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:35 PM

wow, thanks so much madalynne. i often get tunnel vision when i am sewing something that i am really excited about.

• Reply Sickofitcindy September 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Wow that was fast! I haven’t even taken my fabric out of the bag. That looks awesome!

As a side note, do you have any recommendations for cool maternity patterns? I think I’m going to make a few items for my friend but the ones I’ve seen are kind of boring.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM

i have been so excited about my fabric finds that i just couldn’t wait.
      as for maternity patterns, i am a big fan of megan neilsens patterns. there really arnt any others that i recommend. luckily there are a lot of patterns out right now that are not maternity but could work for it.

• Reply wendy September 4, 2012 at 1:16 PM

lovely! the lining is just awesome :o)

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:37 PM

thanks wendy. its one of those colors that i think would be hard for me to wear, but i LOVE it as a lining.

• Reply Janice September 4, 2012 at 2:09 PM

It looks beautiful! I love the yellow lining!

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:37 PM

thanks janice. that yellow lining was a lucky find. thanks for accompanying me to mood so i could find it!

• Reply grainline September 4, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Oh dude, this turned out AMAZING!!! Love the print with the lining color so much, way to go! Glad you found the tutorials helpful also. You’ve inspired me to pick my blazer back up, thanks!

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:38 PM

thanks jen, i can’t wait to see your blazer. i love wearing blazers and can’t wait for it to cool down so i can wear it all of the time. and thanks so much for those tutorials. its so generous of you.

• Reply Kessem September 4, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Love this! love the fabric choice and the awesome lining! what kind of fabric did you use for the lining?
    is that crisp fold line just from pressing or did you use so other method to create such a nice fold?

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

thanks kessem. i think the lining is a rayon lining. i got it from mood fabrics. and i did do some understitching around the side and bottom, but the creases as the collar are just from pressing.

• Reply Leslie September 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Love it. And your hair too! Congrats on baby #2.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 4, 2012 at 6:24 PM

thanks leslie, i decided two days ago that i wanted to change my part to the middle. sometimes you just need a change.

• Reply Robyn September 4, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Love the jacket – the yellow lining sets it off perfectly.

• Reply SewJillian September 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I love this! What great fabric combos and such a beautifully fitting blazer. Winner!

• Reply Kelli Ward September 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Thanks Jillian! I am pretty excited about it.

• Reply Jacinta September 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Wow I can see why you love it so much. It looks so professional and great fabric combo. Awesome job.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Thanks Jacinta, can’t wait to wear it outside for the first time.

• Reply poppykettle September 4, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I really love the fabric and the lining colours together – it’s a gorgeous jacket. Especially when you fold the sleeve cuffs up 🙂 You’re looking gorgeous!

• Reply Kelli Ward September 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM

i like it best with the sleeves up too. its fun to show off the pop of yellow.

• Reply liza jane September 4, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Oh wow, it’s fabulous! And you look absolutely amazing. Gorgeous work.

• Reply Cirque Du Bebe September 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Divine! Love the fabric.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM

thank you. it was a lucky fabric find. hopefully i will have lots more lucky finds now that i live near the garment district.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee September 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Ah this is amazing!! So chic and you look so beautiful! I’m glad to hear you used grainlines tutorials – I thought those were brilliant myself and its good to hear you got such pro results.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 6, 2012 at 8:34 AM

thanks sallie, those tutorials really were great. i hope to use them again with my aztec blazer too.

• Reply dixie September 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM

oooh, this is so awesome! great fabric choices. i’ve been seeing blazers on blogs lately and it’s gotten me in the mood to make one myself. you’ve inspired me! i’m jealous of your garment district access now!

• Reply Kelli Ward September 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

thanks dixie, you should definitely make a blazer. i would love to see what you come up with.

• Reply Adrienne September 5, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Wow, this looks great! And I love the photo with your daughter. 🙂 I’m hoping to put a blazer on my project list this fall/winter.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Try a blazer for sure. And yes, my daughter likes to sneek into my photos sometimes. This time I decided to just go with it.

• Reply Nancy September 6, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Your blazer looks amazing on you, I love the fabric design and the POP of lime!

• Reply Kelli Ward September 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM

This comment has been removed by the author.

• Reply Kestrel September 6, 2012 at 12:29 PM

This looks great and super professional. Love the contrast of lining and patterned linen.

• Reply Kelli Ward September 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

hey kestrel, i didnt realize that you got some red too. so excited to see what you make from it1

• Reply irem September 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I love your jacket and I voted for you! unfortunately I couldn’t finish mine on time and entered the contest 🙁 😛

• Reply Kelli Ward September 7, 2012 at 5:41 PM

thanks irem, and bummer that you didn’t get your jacket done. but hey, at least you will get a jacket out of it 🙂

• Reply Diya September 8, 2012 at 8:18 AM

lovely blazer ! thanks for sharing the links. What material have you used ? my first visit to your blog.. Hope you will find time to visit mine too . Have a nice day.

• Reply gingermakes September 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM

This looks amazing! I can’t believe how quickly you put this together! The yellow lining is a great detail!

• Reply BusyLizzie September 9, 2012 at 9:07 PM

This looks even better than I imagined!! Great job and you look fabulous in it! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!

• Reply Glamour Glory September 14, 2012 at 9:50 PM

Wow this jacket came out great! What pattern did you use? Or did you make your own pattern? I love the pop of color!

• Reply Marina von Koenig September 18, 2012 at 5:23 AM

I can’t belive how fast you made it! And it is gorgeous!!!

• Reply Nettie September 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Amazing!!!! I LOVE that print! And the bright lining is just awesome!