May 31, 2012

My middie skirt was a trial run for this maxi skirt.  I did make a few changes which I put below.

Pattern: None, I made this by cutting 2 rectangles and gathering them.  The width of the fabric was 45″ but I cut it down to 30″ at the top and then tapered it to the full width at the bottom.

Textiles Used: green silk for outer and polyester lining.  I got it all from Vogue Fabrics.

The Good:  I love it.  I love the color the silk fabric.  I have been wanting a woven maxi for awhile and am really excited to wear it.
The Bad :  It’s a little hard to walk in especially when the wind is blowing.  I am still figuring out how to accessorize it.  I think I need a statement necklace or something.
Conclusion: Love the skirt and can’t wait to wear it.  I am still figuring out if maxi’s are just for spring/fall or if I can get away with them in the summer too.  I think I may be maxied out at the moment, but am glad that I made this.
PS I am entering this in to the patternreview natural fabrics contest.  Cross your fingers for me.

• Reply Marina von Koenig May 31, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I found your skirt on PatternReview (Actually, I also entered the contest 😉 good luck to you!

As for accessories, I thought Missoni Spring 2012 had some interesting ideas. Print scarves, fringes on scarves or on necklaces – a lot of fun – check it out!

• Reply Sassy T May 31, 2012 at 2:04 PM

The skirt is gorgeous. I would have no idea how to taper a rectangle down at the top Is it something you do at the fitting process. Curious am only a beginner but would love to try.

• Reply gingermakes May 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Beautiful! I really like this!

• Reply liza jane May 31, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Gorgeous. The color is absolutely beautiful.

• Reply Charity Sloan May 31, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I love it! I’m a jeans and t-shirt gal most of the time, but I’ve been turning to maxi skirts as the weather warms up. They’re easy to wear like jeans but cooler and can look more polished with the right accessories.

• Reply Cirque Du Bebe May 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Dreamy colour and I love it with those wedges. What about styling it with a loose singlet?

• Reply Christine May 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM

It’s a great color! As long as it doesn’t get too hot where you live, I don’t see why you couldn’t wear it in the summer; it’s flowy and looks summer-y to me!

• Reply Gail May 31, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I love maxi skirts all year round. Love the colour and floaty feel of this one.

• Reply KID, MD May 31, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Lovely!! I know you’ll love to wear it. Last summer I made a couple of maxi dresses and wore them all the time, and my recent maxi skirt is getting a ton of wear. They’re so cool and comfortable! The silk will be perfect and so breezy.

• Reply Rachel May 31, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I would think Gaps little pocket T and a long necklace and some strappy flats would be easy to wear. I love easy to wear. Good luck in the contest. Rachel @ be.mine

• Reply kristin May 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM

gorgeous! it looks like it flows and moves beautifully. good luck in the contest!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee June 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Gawd! Its gorgeous! The green is to die for and looks SO good on you! I totally think maxi’s are for summer!!

• Reply emily.marie June 1, 2012 at 3:46 PM

yes! that green IS super amazing! the skirt has just the perfect amount of volume. it also looks super easy to wear- I’d put it with a striped v-neck tee and long pendant necklace, but then again that’s what I put with anything… 🙂

• Reply Melissa June 2, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Absolutely beautiful skirt! And it looks amazing on you! I think I’m going to have to find myself some gorgeous green silk and sew one up for myself!

• Reply lelieswereld August 1, 2012 at 3:59 AM

I really love the skirt! It is gorgeous! The thing I don’t uderstand is why you usef polyester lining? For a summerskirt cottonlining is the was to go. Poyester doesn’t breath, that is why everyone get’s so sweaty. I hope one day you try to make another skirt like this with cotton lining, you will feel the difference. Propably you’ll be running around the street shouting “Freedom” :). Lovely skirt!