May 28, 2012

I have been wanting a good middie skirt for awhile now so I decided to put one together with some rayon challis that I bought awhile back.  It was really easy and fast.  It was also kinda a trial run for a maxi version of the same skirt that I am working on.  I wanted to make sure that the drape around the waist wouldn’t be too bulky.  I should have that skirt done in a couple of days and will get some picks up right away.

Pattern: None, I made this by cutting 2 rectangles and gathering them (each were the full with of the fabric 55″).  Then adding a waistband and pockets.  Very simple.

Textiles Used: orange rayon challis from  (I know I am obsessed with rayon challis right now)

The Good:  I love it.  I love the color and ease of the drape.  I am pretty excited about how it turned out.
The Bad: I might omit the pockets next time.  It made the zipper tricky to put in and added a bit of bulk to the hips.
Conclusion: I don’t think that I need to make any more middie skirts right now, but am pretty excited about the lengthened version of this skirt that I am currently working on.

• Reply gingermakes May 28, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Love this skirt! It’s such a great color, and the length looks great on you! Midi is a length that I’ve feared in the past– I’m always worried I’ll look too dumpy– but this looks so graceful and nice!

• Reply Kelli Ward May 28, 2012 at 4:37 PM

thanks ginger. you know i have also feared this length with my 5’3″ body, but I have found that if I at least wear heals with it that it works. you should give it a try 🙂

• Reply katherine h May 28, 2012 at 5:03 PM

What a gorgeous colour!

• Reply Emilie May 28, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Agreed. This is a tough length to pull off and it looks FABULOUS on you!

• Reply Aiesha Morris May 28, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I am so in love with maxi skirts, always have. Can’t wait to see your maxi version. Im short so midi’s make me look stumpy, but maxi’s work with all heights.

You look good in your midi.

• Reply sewsquirrel May 29, 2012 at 12:39 AM

It’s sits beautifully, how much yardage did that take?

• Reply Kelli Ward May 29, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I used 2 yards of fabric and used almost every bit of it.

• Reply Christine May 29, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Wow, this is gorgeous! My college’s main color is orange, and I normally have a hard time finding orange clothing I actually like. The length on the skirt is just perfect.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee May 29, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Its such a great, bright color! I bet this is dreamy and flowy in the rayon challis. I also love a good challis, its just so easy to wear!

• Reply Kelli Ward May 29, 2012 at 1:53 PM

it’s almost embarassing how much I have been sewing with rayon challis lately. It’s just so summer to me.

• Reply Heather Lou May 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Kelli, I love this and my brain was thinking the exact same thing. I picked up some corally silk in NY and wanted to make a floaty summer skirt as well but was also worried about the bulky hips issue. I think if it sits high enough on your waist like you’ve done it’s not an issue so thank you for convincing me to take the plunge!

• Reply Sarah May 29, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Thanks for the fabric tip! I’ve been wanting to make a skirt like this but couldn’t get a good drapey fabric. I’ll give this a try.

• Reply Gail May 30, 2012 at 6:45 AM

Nicely done. The colour is beautiful.

• Reply lelieswereld August 1, 2012 at 3:54 AM

This skirt is really nice! I also made one, but the fabric was to short, so I took it apart. Luckely a maxi skirt gives much fabric te make somethin different out of if 🙂