March 21, 2012

Pattern: Mcalls 6044

Textiles Used: Plaid shirting from

Sizing: The sizing was suprisingly good.  My husband usually needs a slimmer fit for his dress shirts (which I usually have to take in), but this one already was slim through the torso.  I would say that it fits like an athletic fit shirt.

The Good:  I was more happy with this pattern than I had expected.  Now that it fits perfectly I feel like I can make him multiple shirts pretty fast.  He says it’s his favorite shirt now.  It was fun to play with the bias of the shirt for the yoke.

The Bad: I wouldn’t say that it makes a super professional style of shirt.  Even the basic shirt on the pattern is more like something that you would get at H&M or Gap not at a high end store.  This is fine for the casual tops we are making, but I wouldn’t use this pattern to make a business shirt for work.

Changes Made:  I made a muslin, but the only changes that I had to make were to lengthen the arms by about an inch.

Things I would change next time?  I think I am going to try to make him a couple of short sleeved options.

Conclusion: I highly recommend this pattern. It’s nice to finally sew something for my husband.  He is really good about allowing my sewing time (we even have 3 hours scheduled every week where he takes my daughter out of the house so I can sew) so it’s nice to finally have something that I can make for him.

• Reply Lindsay March 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM

This looks awesome!! I’ve been meaning to make my husband a couple of casual button down shirts. He also needs a slimmer torso, so this pattern would be perfect. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Andrea B March 21, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Wow, great shirt in a nice color. I may have to try this pattern for my boyfriend who likes a slim fit, too. I tried the Negroni by Colette Patterns but I think he prefers a more traditional collar stand and button placket like this one. Just wondering: what size did you make for your husband? His frame looks somewhat like my guy’s.

• Reply Kelli Ward March 21, 2012 at 4:43 PM

We made the Medium. It was what the measurements on the pattern called for which is a happy surprise.

• Reply Meli March 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

I wonder if you take the yokes and draft them back in to the shirt front and back, if that would make it look more professional? I don’t know that much about men’s clothes, but it seems to me that your’s looks the same as dress shirts, except for the yoke. Very well done on this one, though!

• Reply megannielsen March 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

That shirt looks fantastic! I love what a professional job you did! I’ve never tried sewing for my husband (apart from minor alterations, boring hehe) but this is convincing me it might be time to start!
    Meanwhile, i think your schedule quiet sewing time each week is so genius!! I think i need to do this too!! love the idea

• Reply Sarah March 21, 2012 at 4:38 PM

i love this shirt! you always sew things that look great and totally wearable.

• Reply meli88a March 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM

What a great looking shirt. The nerd in me noticed that you matched the plaids perfectly on the placket. Wow!

• Reply Neeno March 21, 2012 at 6:39 PM

You man looks hot in that shirt! Reow! He’s a lucky guy! I haven’t made anything for my man yet, I think I’m afraid that i won’t fit it properly, then he won’t like it and won’t wear it.

I love this shirt, I”l keep the pattern in mind…

• Reply Mary Danielson March 22, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Love it. Kelli, it really looks like a shirt he bought at Urban Outfitters for tons of $. Amazing! That fabric is perfect for the pattern – all those bias pieces make it so interesting. What a lucky guy!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee March 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM

It looks fantastic! It fits him perfectly. I made a shirt once for my husband and keep vowing I’ll do it again. These men are so good putting up with the pins on the floor and the neglect of other chores and the “scheduled sewing time” (so sweet!) that they really deserve to get a little handmade something in return! I just never seem to get around to it…

• Reply Vanessa March 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM

You really did a great job sewing for your man! It looks RTW to me! I’m sure your husband loves it, and kuddos to him for being such a wonderful man who supports you in your talent!

• Reply Cynthia March 22, 2012 at 2:21 PM

This shirt (and the fella) look great!

• Reply Ryan March 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I’ve never sewn a men’s shirt, but I’ve been thinking about it. Fabric Mart always has a lot of nice shirting material. It’s nice to know that the pattern has a slim fit – i’d probably also need to make it longer too. I’ve finally convinced paul that he’s a M tall and not a regular L. He was surprised that the stuff I bought him actually fit better.

• Reply Tamsin March 22, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Great shirt! I like the yoke and pockets on the bias. The one that I made did not look as slim a fit as this, but I think possibley we chose the wrong size…

• Reply Scared Stitchless March 23, 2012 at 3:16 AM

Great idea! I need to start sewing for my man, thanks for the pattern tip!

• Reply experimentsandaccidents March 23, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Thanks for this post! I have been wanting to make some shirts for the man in my life, but I was always turned off by the images in the pattern books. Your shirt is great!

• Reply Sophia March 24, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I read this post the other day, then saved it to come back to it later. That night my husband and I were taking a stroll and he said he thinks he’d like me to try making him a shirt. I got all excited and said “I just saw this fantastic shirt on a great blog today!” So, thanks for this post and the inspiration! This shirt fits your husband perfectly and the little details are great. Even if the pattern isn’t exactly high end, you made it high end by your fabulous pattern placement. You think H&M would even come close to that? I don’t think so 🙂

• Reply Emily April 26, 2012 at 1:49 AM

What a great shirt! The fit looks perfect and the fabric on the bias in the back is fun. I will have to save this pattern for a later date.

• Reply Roobeedoo April 27, 2012 at 7:00 AM

You MADE that?! Seriously, that is the best-looking home-made man’s shirt I have ever seen! WOW!

• Reply cheap clothes online August 28, 2013 at 3:09 AM

You look fantastic! Love the business shirts. It fits pretty good. I’m glad to see a fitted shirts & not an oversized one. Love your whole look.

• Reply kate lewis September 15, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Fashionable shirts became a staple of a man’s wardrobe, allowing style-conscious gentlemen to express themselves through shirts sporting creative art and cheeky slogans.

• Reply Anonymous September 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Do you think this would be a good pattern for a guy 6’4″, 180lbs, 40-42 chest, 32 waist, 36 sleeve? I’m having a devil of a time finding athletic fit shirts for this guy and he needs some flannels. Most are too wide in the middle. Can they be taken in and still look decent?