SEWN : CHAMBRAY BLAZER

March 19, 2012

I finished my first item from my spring sewing list. I finished my chambray blazer. It was my first time to try to make a structured jacket and I must say that it was easier than I thought it would be.

Pattern: Self made pattern from a thrifted vintage blazer.

Textiles Used:  Chambray from JoAnns

The Good:  I am pretty excited about the way that it turned out.  I think that I will wear it all of the time this spring.  It’s nice and lightweight.  It was easier than I thought to make which is always a plus.

The Bad:  Next time I will make it a big more fitted in the waistline.  I also think that I want to try lining the entire jacket next time too to add a bit more structure.

Conclusion: Even though it’s not on my spring to make list, I think that I will make another one pretty quickly.  I am scared that if I don’t that I will forget how this one all went together.  Maybe in a thick jersey next time, or a stripe?  We will have to see what I can find.

p.s.  I would be more than willing to give this pattern away for free to anyone who would like it through my blog.
-First of all, would you be interested in that?
-Secondly, does anyone know that easiest way to transfer a paper pattern to an online one?  Would I scan it and then break it up into a pdf somehow?  Is there a program that does that for you?  Just wondering.

• Reply megannielsen March 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Oh Kelli!! It turned out just AMAZING! i love it!!! I never would have thought of making a chambray blazer – but it looks so so versatile. I can see that being a real wardrobe staple! Serious props on making the pattern copy!
    xoxo

• Reply Alice March 19, 2012 at 3:49 PM

This is really beautiful ! I would love to have this pattern, so I can make mine too !

• Reply beautifulshell March 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Um, GOSH YES! I’ve been thinking something like this should go on my to-sew list…

• Reply Meli March 19, 2012 at 4:18 PM

It looks so great! Nice job! I would make one if you posted it. I’ve been wondering the same thing about putting patterns online. Maybe scan it, and include a gauge in the corner, so people would have to resize it themselves?

• Reply Gwynne March 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I would love the pattern; I’ve been trying to get up the courage to try something like this, and this is a very tempting reason to try!

• Reply Cirque Du Bebe March 19, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Amazing blazer. Amazing photos as usual. I’d definitely be interested in a pattern but as to how to do it…clueless!

• Reply Amy March 19, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Gorgeous!!! I would die for a pattern–oh the possibilities! Here’s a link about making pdf patterns: http://indietutes.blogspot.jp/2011/08/how-to-pdf-your-handmade-pattern.html

• Reply Jacinta @ modelmumma March 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Turned out so well!! I love it, and would love to have a pattern if you do figure it out. 🙂

• Reply Cynthia March 19, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Eeeek, love this jacket! So cute and still casual, a perfect summer staple.

• Reply Vanessa March 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Your jacket is lovely!! I would say your first spring sewing item is a success!

• Reply deadlycraft March 19, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I would definitely be interested in the sharing of this pattern – it’s great! Presumably we are all different sizes and presumably your pattern is pretty much your size. Maybe if you share it in your size some of the rest of it could share back altered versions for other sizes?

Nice lipstick also 🙂

• Reply Amanda March 20, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I’d love the pattern! Such a cute jacket.

• Reply Sarah March 20, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I love your jacket and I would love the pattern too! How clever of you. I’m sure you could trace the pieces onto a large piece of paper, divide into rectangles, number them, then cut and scan them in to your computer and print as a PDF without scaling.

• Reply Melizza March 20, 2012 at 6:03 AM

I am drooling over your jacket. Wow. Such a lovely cut and color. So impressed that you drafted it from an existing jacket. Amazing!

• Reply Jennie March 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Great job!!! I love how you brought the chambray to life in this jacket. Beautiful!! I would also love a copy of the pattern once it’s available. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee March 20, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Oh Wow! It turned out so Perfect!! I just love it! And Yes! I would love this pattern! It looks really lovely…:) Oh yeah, but I have no idea how you’d turn it into a pdf pattern….. eek! sounds hard…

• Reply Kayla @ Freckles in April March 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

K, kind of blown away. This looks amazing!

• Reply Gail March 21, 2012 at 6:02 AM

I love your outfit. Can you tell us more about the weight of the chambray you used. I have some in my stash but it is rather lightweight.

• Reply Kelli Ward March 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It’s actually pretty lightweight. I think it would work out better if it was a bit heavier though. If I were to make the exact blazer again I would just line the entire think to add more structure to the lightweight chambray. I say go for it.

• Reply Lisa March 21, 2012 at 1:24 PM

This is lovely I would never of thought of using Chambray but it looks fantastic.

• Reply emily.marie March 22, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I love this piece! What a perfect spring & summer staple- well done!

• Reply Scared Stitchless March 23, 2012 at 3:13 AM

This is a great blazer and such great inspiration for me at the moment because it’s next on my list. Pity I’ve already bought a blazer pattern but I’d be interested in seeing what yours looks like as well!

• Reply Kira March 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

This looks fabulous! I would love to be able to make my own!

• Reply Sophia March 24, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Wonderful jacket! It looks very professional. I love that the chambray allows for you to roll the sleeves up, it’s a good look

• Reply oonaballoona March 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM

may i include my enthusiastic hand in the air? GIMMIEGIMMIE!

excuse me, that’s the manhattan so rudely interjecting. yes, please.

• Reply Emilie March 30, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Gorgeous! You and the blazer!

• Reply gingermakes May 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Oh my gosh, this is too perfect! I’m so glad I found your blog!

• Reply Moira May 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I’ve been looking for something like this for so long! So yes, I would LOVE this as a pattern. Thank you for showing us your creations – you have such lovely style.

• Reply Sarah February 4, 2013 at 6:54 PM

kelli–if you get to it i would LOVE to have this pattern. i have not found anything similar enough–this is such a great modern looking blazer.
    and you’re black one don’t even get me started! 🙂

• Reply that guy August 7, 2014 at 7:13 AM

May I simply just say what a comfort to discover someone that really knows what they are talking about on the web.
    You actually understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important.

More people must read this and understand this
    side of your story. I can’t believe you aren’t more popular given that you definitely have the gift.

my page :: that guy

• Reply Socialite Pro September 14, 2014 at 5:04 AM

I know this web site offers quality depending content and other stuff,
    is there any other website which provides these kinds of
    stuff in quality?

Feel free to visit my blog … Socialite Pro

• Reply fabric: all about chambray - imagine gnats September 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM

[…] one: Fancy Tiger Crafts: Amber and Jamie Make Chambray Hawthorns! True Bias: Chambray Blazer Oh, Fransson: Preppy Knee Socks Quilt […]