DO YOU SEW FOR OTHERS?

February 27, 2012

I usually have an unstated rule not to sew something for someone who asks.  I am more than happy to teach someone to sew something for themselves, but I feel like most people would never appreciate the time and effort it takes for me to sew something for them.

Well, I am breaking my rule right now.  I have two sisters.  One sews and one does not.  The one who doesn’t recently asked me to sew a skirt for her.  I have often felt bad that she is left out because she doesn’t sew, so I think this is a great excuse to include her in this way.  The problem is that she doesn’t live near me, but I am going to visit soon.  So I made the Jenny skirt for her.  I did everything in the instructions except sew the side seams (they are just basted right now) and the hem.  I figure I will do those two in person.

So I wonder, do you sew for your friends and family when they ask?

Do they appreciate it when you do?

• Reply Meli February 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I do repairs and alterations for family on request, but generally don’t do anything more, beyond halloween costumes and dance uniforms. You’re right, people don’t appreciate homemade clothes. My rule about requests is that if they’re willing to sit and watch you do the whole thing, than I’ll consider it. Then they’ll really appreciate it once it’s done.

• Reply Renee February 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Yes, I do. They very much appreciate my help, but I don’t think any “non-sewer” has any idea of how much time each project takes:)

• Reply Leslie V February 28, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Oh my this is a very good question. I sew for others and I feel like a lot of them don’t know or understand the effort made in cutting, sewing, adjusting to make it fit well, handstitching, pressing,design, etc. They usually want it “yesterday” and don’t want to pay for what it is really worth!!

• Reply Evie February 28, 2012 at 6:27 AM

I find that requests for sewing are usually prefaced by “can you just”…..
    More times than not I’ll say no, simply because the “just” isn’t anything of the kind. That said, I’m always happy to help people who want to try their hand at sewing.

• Reply Paige P February 28, 2012 at 8:59 AM

My amazing sewist mother has been sewing a sun dress for me this past week.
    I on the other hand only do small stuff, or in person alterations for my friends.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee February 28, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I will sew something occasionally for my husband (and by occasionally I mean one shirt once a year) and have given a handmade top to my sister and mom as a gift – they live far away as well so these patterns were very unfitted. But generally – no I don’t sew for others, I don’t get as much enjoyment out of it and its such a time consuming hobby that I figure I better be making something I love and enjoy rather than feeling like I’m my family’s unpaid seamstress!

• Reply KnottedRose February 28, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I hate giving something to somebody else when i know is not perfect, and i know where all the mistakes lie in my sewing. I certainly could not except money. But making something for myself is OK.

• Reply Leah Franqui February 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM

This is such a hot button issue. A lot of people will just straight up ask me to sew something for them, and that’s always a little off-putting, because there is the implication that it’s so easy to make something and I can just churn things out for strangers. But I really do enjoy making things for my family! That’s fun. I sew for my mother, mostly.

I will make non-clothing items for other people as gifts, that’s easy enough, no fitting issues.
    strugglesewsastraightseam.wordpress.com

• Reply Maril√≥ February 28, 2012 at 5:05 PM

I sew for my sisters, but they doesn’t count, they are very grateful. The problem is when somebody more or less known ask you to make something, and they think that is going to be free. They don’t understand that it’s not only the fabric or the notions that cost but the time and effort you put so that the garment or the alterations comes the right way.

• Reply Leslie March 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM

No way. I definitely do not sew for other people. Never. For the reason you mentioned…..they have no clue about the effort involved.

• Reply Liz March 2, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I do sew for other people, but I’m usually the one doing the offering, such as for birthday presents and such. I love sewing gifts because my friends/family really appreciate the effort, although I am sure they may underestimate the amount of time that goes into it, and they can get exactly what they want.

My knitting/crochet friends and I will also do swaps because I can’t knit and they don’t sew. =)

• Reply Sewing Princess March 6, 2012 at 4:50 AM

Normally I don’t tell many people I sew. Like you sometimes I saw for my sis who doesn’t sew and tried to teach her. I’ve also sewn for my mom…she taught me how to sew, made dresses for me and now I can do something for her finally! I’ve sewn for my partner but it has been more me wanting to than him asking. I’ve made a couple of things for a close friend. I hardly had people ask me to sew things for them, but I would not do it anyway…as you say it takes a lot of time :o)

• Reply Mominct May 3, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I found your blog from pinterest. I don’t sew, I have a friend who does and I COMPLETELY appreciate what she makes me. She’s made a few things as gifts and they are my most treasured and favorite gifts of all time because I know she put real thought and work into them as opposed to just going to the store to buy a giftcard.