MAKES SEWING TUTORIALS

BODY CON MIDDI NIKKO DRESS TUTORIAL

September 28, 2018

The original Nikko pattern includes pattern pieces for a top (with or without sleeves) that is fitted, and a dress that is straighter through the waist and hips. I wanted to combine the two for a Nikko dress that is more body con like the top is. It’s a very easy hack so I thought I would share.

First of all you will use the top pattern pieces instead of the dress one since it has the more fitted waistline. I decided to use the sleeved version, but this would just as easily work for the sleeveless one. The only pattern pieces that you will be adjusting is the front and back. The neckband and also the sleeves or sleeve facings stay the same.

All you are going to do is lengthen the center front and center back straight down as those are cut on the fold. For the side seams you want to gradually angle it in about an inch so that it is fitted at mid calf. How long you extend it is up to you, but I would say somewhere between 20-30 inches from the original hem.

Once you have cut and sewn the Nikko according the the instructions, I find it really helpful to try the dress on inside out and mark any areas that I want to pull in a bit and make adjustments. I then hemmed it using fusible knit tape like the pattern suggests. Because the pattern calls for really stretchy knits you don’t actually need a slit at the hem, just make sure that you use a very forgiving stretch stitch to finish it.

Let’s talk a bit about fabric. I used a thick ribknit from The Fabric Store for this. I think that the thickness really is key to a body con dress so that it has more coverage. Rib knits are especially good for this. They kind of hide any lines or bumps that you may not want to draw attention to.

That’s it! Super easy hack for a fun dress. Can’t wait to wear it for date night.

• Reply Julia Ritz Toffoli September 28, 2018 at 10:29 AM

Lovely! And where are your boots from? I love them and have been looking for a similar pair!

• Reply Beverly Breslen September 28, 2018 at 10:33 AM

This is a lovely dress and now I want to make one!

I was watching your story on Instagram today about making garments that aren’t necessarily practical and it really hit home for me. I had cleaned out my closet and now have the perfect capsule wardrobe for me but, I haven’t sewed because I don’t want to make yet another tee or jeans which is basically what my capsule wardrobe is made up of.

I need to remember that sewing is my creative outlet as well as a meditative exercise for me and that in order to challenge myself and make sewing interesting again, I need to sew things I might not necessarily wear all the time, if at all i.e., the 18th century gowns that I love.

So, I wanted to thank you for the reminder that sewing isn’t always about being practical. It’s about so much more.

I’m going to start that gown! 🙂

• Reply Faye Lewis September 28, 2018 at 2:54 PM

It’s beautiful. I’m going to pin it!

• Reply Kay September 28, 2018 at 5:31 PM

That is a beautiful dress. You look great in it.

• Reply Kelly September 28, 2018 at 5:46 PM

That looks great! Can you tell me which rib you used from the fabric store, is it the mid weight merino?

Or the lightweight?

Thanks!
    Kelly

• Reply sachin November 3, 2018 at 5:17 AM

thnks for giving new look design ideas