MAKES SEWING

GRAINLINE ARCHER IN STRIPED LINEN

February 2, 2018

I bought this amazing camel and white striped linen at my favorite NYC fabric store (Gray Line Linen) in the fabric district. I immediately knew that it would become a buttonup and the Grainline Archer is a pretty easy choice. I actually bought a black and white striped linen and two 4 ply silks at the same time which I can’t wait to sew up next.

I wanted to play around a bit with the stripes for some added interest. After seeing some great inspiration on pinterest I decided to go with vertical stripes over all and then horizontal stripes on the back yoke, front pockets and cuffs. I love how it turned out. Still a great everyday buttonup, but the stripe play makes it feel a little more modern and intentional.

As for fit, I measured in at a size 8 and went with that. The only change that I made was to shorted the sleeve by 1 inch. Next time I will take another inch off. I am 5’3″ so this is not surprise. I end up rolling my sleeves most of the time anyways so it really doesn’t matter. I may also thin the sleeves a bit overall. I havn’t decided for sure though. I like that slightly oversized boyfriend fit of it and don’t way to mess that up. I think this oversized look works especially well with the crumpled linen style that is inevitable with this fabric.

You can pretty much say that I love this Archer shirt. It’s my favorite color palette right now and it’s just so easy to throw on when I want to be comfortable on work days, but still put together. I can’t wait to make up the other 3 versions that I have ready to go. I see some batch sewing in the near future.

• Reply Nathalie February 2, 2018 at 12:46 PM

super nice shirt! It looks great on you and that fabric is beautiful.

• Reply Connie February 3, 2018 at 5:39 AM

Very nice casual shirt with good details. But what I always amazes me when I visit your blog is how gloriously beautiful your hair is. I wonder if the shampoo people contact you and beg you to do ads for them.

• Reply True Bias February 4, 2018 at 7:30 PM

ha! I like to say that my hair is my spirt animal. thank you for the compliment!

• Reply PsychicSewerKathleen February 3, 2018 at 8:26 AM

I have some linen in my stash and I keep lusting for a linen, loose fitting blouse just like yours! I love yours Kelli – the colour, loose fit and the contrast stripe in your pockets. This is the type of shirt you will undoubtedly wear all the time for many years to come. I look forward to seeing what you do with that 4 ply silk! I have some of that too – I keep thinking about it but honestly I’m a little terrified by it at the same time 🙂

• Reply True Bias February 4, 2018 at 7:31 PM

yes, make the linen shirt! you will not regret it at all. also i get the 4 ply silk fear. I have never sewn with it but i hear it is glorious to sew with.

• Reply Vanessa February 3, 2018 at 6:33 PM

Looks great on you, and I love the way you played with stripes!