CHECKERED BLAIR SHIRT

October 5, 2016

I’ve been wanting more casual items in my wardrobe that are not tshirts and cutoffs, so when I saw the Blair shirt released by Style Arc I wanted to make it right away. It reminded me of a shirt that I had been eyeing at Madewell. A wide, somewhat cropped shirt with small cuffs as sleeves. The Blair shirt is really similar so I decided to give it a go.

The fabric is just some 1/4″ black and white gingham that was inexpensive. I figured this would be a sort of wearable muslin before I cut into some precious silk that I have been eyeing, so this was the perfect inexpensive option.

I made a few little changes to the pattern so that it looked more like the top that was my inspiration. First of all, instead of adding the bottom panels I just extended the top portion so that it would all be one piece on both the front and back. I also made a simple rectangle for the cuffs instead of the bias cut, teardrop shaped ones of the pattern.

I absolutely love how this top turned out and have already worn it to a picnic over the weekend. This is my first ever Style Arc pattern to sew, but I have a been eyeing a couple more. Just be warned that the instructions are minimal, so you may want to look at the instructions for another buttonup pattern to compare it to.

• Reply Kelly October 5, 2016 at 10:11 AM

Between this and Grainline Jen’s highlight of Blair yesterday, I’m thoroughly interested in the pattern! I love the gingham and the shape. Just perfect!

• Reply Rita October 5, 2016 at 10:14 AM

It’s SO cute! I’ve been eyeing the Blair pattern for a bit. I’m also a Style Arc newbie, and when I popped over to buy it (your shirt tipped me over the edge!), I realized for the first time that I have to pick one size. ONE. Arg. Do you mind waying which size you went with, or which measurements were most key to making your decision? I typically grade my patterns from smaller at the top to larger at the bottom, but with something that’s much looser, I’m thinking the top measurements might be the only thing that’s significant here…

• Reply True Bias October 6, 2016 at 11:32 AM

I know. I hate that all sizes are not included. I went with a size 10 which is my chest measurement and didn’t worry about any other measurements since its so boxy. hope that helps.

• Reply Bella October 5, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Love it in a check! I really like Style Arc patterns, the drafting is really precise and the patterns a very up-to-date with trends, which is fun. Luckily I’m not too bothered by the minimal instructions.

• Reply Nicole October 5, 2016 at 7:40 PM

Great pattern and fabric pairing, I really love the sleeves on this pattern 🙂

• Reply Heather October 5, 2016 at 10:01 PM

This looks great on you Kelli! I love the gingham and the changes you made are perfect!

• Reply Gail October 5, 2016 at 11:08 PM

As a proud Aussie, I love our home brand Style arc. You don’t seem to have gone with the seaming and pockets. Love the gingham.

• Reply True Bias October 6, 2016 at 11:33 AM

yeah, I just extended the top portion. i was worried the paneling would be too bulky.

• Reply Katja October 7, 2016 at 12:41 AM

I love that! I was eyeing this Madwell shirt too and thought of the Blair to create something similar myself, so thank you very much for showing me it’s a good idea 😉 Really lovely and I#m looking forward to ayour silk version…

• Reply Sophie October 7, 2016 at 4:00 AM

You look superb! Love the tweaks you made also…I’ve been styling mine all done up to the neck but I’m digging this unbuttoned cas thing going on. And the GINGHAM! Inspired. Reminds me I need to get my a into g and blog my first Blair and make a second.

• Reply Sonja October 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM

This is so fantastic! I snapped the pattern up as soon as it was released because I’m obsessed with those Madewell shirts, too, which I’ve tried on a few times and just balked at pulling the trigger… they’re a bit out of my budget and I couldn’t help but feel I could make them. If I ever unearth my sewing space out from under a giant pile of moving boxes, this is on top of my list. I love this in the gingham you chose- perfection!