SEWING FOR KIDS

THE BLUE RIDGE DRESS PATTERN SWAP

July 29, 2015

When I saw the new Blue Ridge Dress from Hello Holli I immediately knew that I would make one.  I love the modern lines and yet still feminine cut of this dress. My daughter is still in a dress and skirts only phase which means that I am always on the hunt for great little girl dress patterns.

Holli contacted my awhile back with this amazing idea that she had – pattern swaps.  The idea being that we each sew up one another’s patterns. I loved the idea and was completely on board. On Holli’s blog, Hello Holli, you will find her version of the Mini Southport dress.  Be sure to go and check it out to see what she came up with. She has great style so I am sure that it will be amazing.

The Blue Ridge Dress has so many things that I love.  Besides the modern lines, the finishing is really great. Not only does it look amazing on the outside, but it is beautifully finished on the inside with no exposed seams. Quite the work of art I must say. I love the twirly skirt and large 2 inch hem. I also think that the bias binding outlining all of the parts allows for a lot fun and unexpected fabric combinations.

The fabric that I used is this gorgeous woven textile from Fabric.com. I am kicking myself for not buying more although admittedly it was a beast to work with. Lots and lots of fraying. The bias tape is store bought.  Holli recommends making your own for better results and after making up her dress I have to agree with her.  The store bought worked fine, but I think that homemade would be softer and would turn the curves better. The bottom of the dress is just some Kona cotton. I love the way it looks – kinda like chambray – but if I were to do it again I would use something more lightweight.  It ended up a bit thick for summer.  I think either linen or two layers of voile would have been more appropriate.

Both my daughter and I give this dress two thumbs up. Holli has done as amazing job and I can’t wait to see what she comes up with next.

• Reply Katie July 29, 2015 at 11:35 AM

That’s so cute. I’d totally wear it! Love the woven fabric with the chambray effect cotton.

• Reply crab&bee July 29, 2015 at 1:52 PM

I was thinking the same thing! I’d love a dress like this for myself.

• Reply True Bias July 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Me too! I think that the Alice dress by Tessuti has a similar feel.

• Reply Heather July 29, 2015 at 12:30 PM

This is so cute Kelli! Your daughter is adorable as always!

• Reply Pattern Swap with True Bias | hello holli July 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM

[…] It’s a way for me to promote my pattern while simultaneously promoting other designers and giving me a chance to work with some of my most admired internet people. And of course, to sew up some amazing patterns. I’m happy to have Kelli as the first of many Pattern Swap features! I was a fan of Kelli’s before she started designing patterns and I became even more of a fan after I sewed up her Hudson Pants (which I’m wearing as I type this). Her patterns are perfectly on trend and her illustrations and pattern layout are just my style- clear, concise, a bit minimalist- perfection. Plus I think her blog name is the coolest. You can check out Kelli’s post about the Blue Ridge Dress here! […]

• Reply kristin July 29, 2015 at 4:14 PM

Super adorable! Love the fabric choices on the screen, but I know what you mean about “actual” chambray or voile flowing better on the skirt in person. Still, though, I could totally see this dress paired with a sweater and some red tights for the fall. It looks great. Your daughter is so cute. 🙂

• Reply True Bias July 29, 2015 at 5:10 PM

that’s so true. Fall is right around the corner. I should just focus on that maybe. thanks kristin!

• Reply Marina July 29, 2015 at 8:21 PM

Very pretty. Love the fabric combinations….

• Reply gail July 31, 2015 at 1:23 AM

that bodice fabric paired with the red and blue is just beautiful! great pattern too, thanks for the introduction!

• Reply Liza Jane August 1, 2015 at 10:51 AM

This is so great! I love that woven fabric. Such a great combination.

• Reply True Bias August 3, 2015 at 9:28 AM

thanks liza jane. i feel like it was such a lucky find.

• Reply Sonja August 9, 2015 at 12:27 AM

Man, I love this! I would totally wear this dress! Super, super cute.