2 MORE MEN’S BUTTONUPS – MCCALLS 6044

March 5, 2015

I am mostly a selfish sewer, but my husband has worn the shirts I previously made him so much, that I thought it was about time that I sewed up a couple more versions of McCalls 6044.  I’ve made this pattern multiple times before so the nice thing is that I have tried and true pattern that has been tweaked to fit him perfectly.  To make it go faster, I cut out and sewed both of these at the same time.  Luckily, I could use black thread on both too so I didn’t even have to switch that up while sewing.

This first version was made up with some thin cotton grey and black plaid from Mood fabrics.  For some added interest (or because I didn’t want to plaid match 🙂 I did the button band, cuffs, and pocket on the bias.

Although the pattern doesn’t call for it, I added a back yoke and a back pleat to this one (I’ve always thought it was weird that those are not included).  I like the added interest and I would assume that it feels a bit more comfortable.

This second shirt was made up from some heavier weight cotton from fabric.com.  I had originally bought it to make a button up for myself, but thought it was too thick for me.  I think it works well for a men’s shirt though.

I didn’t bother adding the yoke or pleat on this one, just because the fabric was already pretty stiff. I also tried to match all of the checks this time.  I’m pretty proud of how invisible the front pocket is. Just wish I had thought through the cuffs a little more.  Oh well.

You may notice that I put the pockets on the wrong side on both shirts.  Oops!  The jury is still out about whether or not that bothers him enough for me to add another pocket to balance it out.

• Reply sallie March 5, 2015 at 8:43 AM

These are both so great! I especially love the fabric of the first one. I’ve been trying to find some good shirting fabric for Nick that is not some version of checks on a white background (surprisingly hard!) so I’m loving the dark plaid. Also, I would never have noticed the pockets if you hadn’t said anything – I can never tell which side they are supposed to go on! I’m lucky if I can get shirts to button up the right way!

• Reply muenzeeins March 5, 2015 at 9:28 AM

both shirts look gorgeous!! what a great pattern!! perfect organization sewing in “double” 🙂 this reminds me that my husband has his “birthday” shirt from last still in waiting, oups :)! pour guy,, really have to get started on that one :)!

• Reply Maris Olsen March 5, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Excellent plaid matching – BOTH vertical and horizontal. Impressive!! Lucky husband. 😉

• Reply katie March 5, 2015 at 11:25 AM

These are fab, I love both fabrics and think my fella would go. I’m going to look out for some similar ones on my NY trip in June!

• Reply Sarah - Fabric Tragic March 5, 2015 at 3:46 PM

They look great. So funny, I’ve got a black and white shirt like your husbands on my autumn sewing list – so impressed by the check matching!

• Reply kristin March 5, 2015 at 4:09 PM

these are great!! and seriously, when you said something about the invisible pocket on the gingham shirt, i was all “what pocket?” NAILED IT. your husband is a great model, too. 🙂

• Reply John Yinling March 5, 2015 at 5:13 PM

Your shirts look very nice, and fit on Hubby looks perfect, roomy, but slender. As for that “wrong side” pocket, that would be perfect for me, being a left-handed, creative type of guy. Too often we have to adapt to a right-handed world! You could just add another pocket on the other side if it bothers either one of you, but for this Southpaw, it looks right.

• Reply Lisa March 5, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Shirt perfection! Also, I had to scroll back up to find that brilliantly pattern-matched pocket!

• Reply April Boyer March 5, 2015 at 6:42 PM

Yeah, so I still can’t see the pocket and I looked a few times. High five! These look fantastic. I need to make another one of these for my husband but first I need to figure out the size alterations!

• Reply Heather March 6, 2015 at 1:40 AM

These both look great!

• Reply Amber March 6, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I just sewed a shirt for my hubs using this pattern and was perplexed by the lack of yoke! The fit’s a little off and I want to try to improve it through adding a yoke, so I’m curious how you drafted the yoke pattern piece–just based on the top of the shirt pattern, or perhaps using another shirt of your husband’s? And did you add a little width to the back of the shirt to account for the pleat? Both your versions look so great, and I agree with everyone else on your stellar pattern-matching on the pocket!

• Reply Katie March 6, 2015 at 10:31 AM

These shirts are both awesome – and as long as he doesn’t notice the pocket, no harm no foul. I’ve made like 13 versions of McCalls 6613 (which has a yoke) for my husband, but this would be a good option for when he wants a lot of pattern matching (having no yoke helps big time with that).

And I love the black and white check – how weird that they list it as “very lightweight” on the website… I would’ve passed it along too (and I’ll actually have to keep it in mind for my husband!).

• Reply Ginger March 6, 2015 at 1:46 PM

These look great! Your plaid matching is exceptional, and the fit is really, really good. I actually thought you left the pocket off the black and white one! It’s really invisible!

• Reply Md Razaul Karim June 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Looking beautiful both shirts. ASAP i purchase same pattern dress. Thanks……

• Reply African kente July 1, 2015 at 1:34 PM