LINDEN SWAP WITH SEW DIY

February 17, 2015

Guys, I have been in such a blogging funk lately.  I blame it on a few things including being waist deep in my next pattern, some extra pounds to the mid section left over from the holidays, and getting stuck on some difficult sewing projects, but mostly on this blasted winter.  It is just too cold outside and so weekend after weekend it’s just been too cold to get all dressed up and schlep my kids and gear out for a photoshoot.  I am just over it. Yesterday I had finally reached my limit so I did some rearranging in the apartment until I found a spot that I can use for some indoor photoshoots.  It’s not glamorous, but it’s warm, and its practical, and it means I can actually start posting again.  Expect to see this wall a lot in the next couple of months.  Sorry in advance.

Now onto happier things.  I participated in the Linden Swap put on by Carrie of Oh, She Dabbles and Ingrid of We The Sewing.  It was such a great idea.  The Linden is a super fast make, easy to fit, and most of us have enough leftovers in our stash to make it up.  I have made 6 Lindens so far and can say that I am certainly a fan.

When I heard about the swap I knew immediately who I wanted to pair up with – Beth of Sew DIY.  I am a little obsessed with her style and cool haircut.  She makes it look so effortless.  Not to mention her beautiful photography.  Also guys, she just released her first pattern – The Lou Box Top.  It’s one of those effortlessly cool boxy tops that pairs perfect with skinnies.  I’m pretty sure I will be making a bunch of these this summer.

I knew I would love anything Beth made for me and I was not disappointed.  She made me up a Linden in a beautifully soft french terry knit with neutral stripes.  One of the things that I like the most about this version is it is much lighter weight than anything I have made myself.  It hugs the body better and drapes nicer than any of my own versions.  For some reason I just never thought of making one in a fabric like this.  I guess that’s one of the great things about a swap!  I just love it.

For Beth’s version I used some amazing quilted fabric from blackbird fabrics for the main panel and then some organic sweatshirt fleece from fabric.com for the sleeves.  The cuffs and waistband are just a black cotton ribbing (which I am going through like crazy these days – who knew I needed to keep this stuff on hand all of the time).  And because I am a selfish sewer at heart I made myself a matching version too 🙂  I couldn’t resist.  I just checked Blackbird’s site and they seem to be out of both the white and gray quilted fabric.  Too bad because it’s really nice and soft.

Be sure to check out Beth wearing her Linden sweatshirt and I think you may still have time to participate in the swap too if you want.  Details here.

• Reply Amanda February 17, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Your indoor photos are still 10x better than my indoor photos! Looks like these will keep you nice and toasty on these cold days. Love the contrast raglan sleeves.

• Reply True Bias February 19, 2015 at 2:04 PM

thanks amanda, yay for anything that will keep me nice and toasty these days. its brutal out there!

• Reply Meg February 17, 2015 at 9:41 PM

Sorry to hear you are in a funk! Love both of these tops. It’s definitely a great pattern (and it is oh-so-cozy when worn with my Hudson pants :))

• Reply True Bias February 19, 2015 at 2:05 PM

haha, i know i love the hudson linden combo. 90s cool.

• Reply Tilly February 18, 2015 at 8:34 AM

This looks soooo comfy and cosy – lucky you! Hope it’s got you out of your sewing funk.

• Reply True Bias February 19, 2015 at 2:05 PM

thanks tilly. sometimes i just have to do something and it snaps the funk.

• Reply Nicole_boldgoods February 18, 2015 at 9:09 AM

These look fab. For anyone who is looking, I bought I think 1.5 yards of the white quilted fabric and promptly lost my love affair with black and white – holler at me if you want to buy it!

• Reply kristin February 18, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Linden swap is such a fun idea! And I’ve been in a blogging slump too; it just feels like such an effort to get everything done to get a post up these days. I blame February.

Anyway, these are both very cute!! The gray stripe will go with everything and I love that quilted fabric too.

• Reply Ginger February 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Oooh, I love both of these! The one Beth made for you really looks like your style (IMHO) and it looks mega cute on you! I was selfish and made a copycat version for myself of the one I sent my swap partner… oops!

I’m finding the weather really uninspirational… I’m sick of sewing winter-y clothes, but it will be so long before we can wear anything spring-y! I just don’t want to do anything but watch Netflix, then I feel terrible about myself when I’m unproductive! Ugh!

• Reply Beth – Sew DIY February 18, 2015 at 3:46 PM

OMG. I’m soooo flattered that you like my style and my haircut. And I’m cracking up that you made yourself a matching sweatshirt because I made myself one to match the one I made you. AND, I’m wearing it right now. hahaha I had to test it out!

I hope that you’re getting out of your funk and that the weather eases. I have opposite complaints with my climate–too many hot summer days. Happy sewing!

• Reply Ingrid February 18, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Love both versions 🙂 I made a really similar quilted one for Carrie – really like that style!

• Reply Heather February 18, 2015 at 6:24 PM

I love both of these, especially the quilted one. I am burning through the ribbing too. Hooray for Linden love!

• Reply Amanda February 21, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Ahh! These are both all kinds of perfect!
    What gorgeous make 😀
    Hope your groove comes back soon- and until then may there be lots of cocoa and warmth your way!

• Reply Nickeya February 25, 2015 at 10:00 PM

Honestly, I just love how comfy you always look and you look so beautiful! the swap was a brilliant Idea!

• Reply True Bias February 26, 2015 at 8:10 AM

awww, thanks. im a big fan of comfy right now. fits my lifestyle.

• Reply Suzanne March 1, 2015 at 6:36 AM

Ummm, amazed you had the self-sacrifice to give either of these away! Also, my heart is broken over that quilted fabric. I need to fnd it!

• Reply Thinking of Spring // The Linden Swap | Boots and Cats March 1, 2015 at 5:51 PM

[…] by the dots I selfishly made myself a matching one with the leftovers. (I wasn’t alone! True Bias did it too, so I am less ashamed of my […]