OTHER SEWING

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE FOR THE SEWIST

December 10, 2014

Every year my mom or husband asks me for list of things that I want for the holidays.  I never know what to tell them.  Sewing is increasingly becoming a bigger and bigger part of my life and so I decided that this year might be a good time to invest in some sewing related items. As I have been trying to gather my own personal wish list for the holidays, I thought it might be fun to share a few of the things that I have been eyeing.  This list is for you, instead of a list of things for you to sew for other people.  I am trying really hard not to DIY a ton of gifts this holiday.  So much work, and generally underappreciated.   But here are some things that you might like for yourself (or a list to pass on to whomever is buying for you:).

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6

Workroom Social Camp – 4 epic days of sewing camp with some of the most talented women in the industry.  I can’t even image how incredible this is going to be.  Also, I know Jennifer (the camp director) personally and she is one of the most professional and organized go getters that I have ever met.  I have no doubt that this is going to be the best sewing camp ever.  I REALLY want to go.

3M Medical Tape – Aspen of Little Green Orchids turned me onto this tape.  You can buy it in bulk on Amazon and it doesn’t melt under the iron.  Perfect for taping together pdf patterns and then ironing them flat again when you want to use them again.

Clover Chalk Pencil – Another winner from Blackbird Fabrics.  I’ve always wanted one because so many people say they love them.  Plus they come in tons of fun colors.

Sewing Art – I’m always looking for ways to dress up my sewing space and art is a great way to do that.  Maddie has some beautiful prints up on Society 6 or you can always look around etsy.

Dress Form – I’ve wanted a real big girl dress form for awhile now.  I currently own an adjustable singer that i bought for $7 at a thrift store.  It’s time to upgrade soon.  Not sure which one I want to get yet although the ones from The Shop Company are very reasonable and have collapsible shoulders.

Glass Head Pins – I pretty much want everything from Blackbird Fabrics shop, but these pins caught my eye.  I need nice pins and love that these don’t melt under the iron because of the glass head.

What did I miss?  What sewing related item must I have on my list?  Please share below!

• Reply Tiffany December 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM

great list! I’m with you on the camp wish. It sounds DIVINE! Just got those clover liners (Joann’s…50% off…black friday). Don’t know how I lived without them.

• Reply Rachel December 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM

The Gingher embroidery scissors you gave me are my recommendation for a totally awesome gift. I had similar ones that are unbranded and the Gingher ones walk all over them! They are intensely sharp, fit my hand perfectly and are beautiful to look at.

• Reply Rachel December 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Sorry for the double post!

• Reply Rachel December 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM

• Reply Meg December 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I asked my mom and husband (those two know the good stuff) for gift certificates to my favorite fabric shops, so I can get some fabric without the guilt. Great idea with the dress form! Definitely something I am too shy to splurge on for myself, but my birthday is on Christmas, so I get to double up 🙂

• Reply Fortune Teller Online December 11, 2014 at 1:59 PM

I always spent my half an hour to read this tarot webpage’s
    articles all the time along with a cup of coffee.

• Reply Ginger December 15, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I love love love those Clover chalk pens! They’re a bit more expensive than tailor’s chalk, but they’re not as messy and they don’t shatter when you drop them!

• Reply susie qew December 18, 2014 at 12:38 AM

i am so happy i read this – i have been increasingly dissatisfied with the chalks i have been using, and have never before heard about the clover pens – time to check them out!

i would love receiving i) an entire bolt of muslin; ii) an entire bolt of alphabet paper or iii) a serger!