TUTORIALS

THE SUTTON BLOUSE SEWALONG DAY 6 : HEM AND SIDE SLITS

November 13, 2014

So excited to finish sewing up the Sutton Blouse today!

Turn the hem on both the front and back 1/4″ up towards the wrong side of your top (at the bottom small dot).  Press.

Match the two small dots, right sides together (folding up 1 inch). Pin and press.

Stitch from the small dot down to the bottom of the shirt at 3/8” seam allowance.

Turn the corner of your hem so that it’s now right side out and press. If needed clip the corner before turning to reduce bulk.  Repeat for the remaining three side seam corners.

Press the remaining open seam allowance flat between the large dot and hem at 3/8”.

On the right side of the top, stitch at 1/4” starting from the bottom back corner of your blouse and continuing up past the large dot by 1/4”. Pivot and stitch across for 1/2” and then pivot and continue down the front edge at 1/4” until you reach the bottom. Back- stitch at both ends securely.  Repeat for other side slit.

Press the remaining hem up and pin at 1”. Press.

Stitch at 7/8″ across the entire front and back hem to finish it.  Backstitch at both ends.

Now is a good time to give it a final press, clip threads, and remove any visible basting and tailor tacks.  You are done!  Here is my final blouse.

I hope you will let me see your finished blouses by tagging it #suttonblouse on instagram. Please let me know if you have any questions.  Tomorrow will be the final day of the sewalong and I will show you how I style and wear the Sutton Blouse, especially in the colder months.

• Reply Jen November 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I did it! My first wearable clothes! I used a black poly with a gray suedecloth yoke and it came out 95 percent perfect. Thank you for the detailed instructions, I intend to make lots of these. I don’t have Instagram but I’m very proud of myself.

• Reply True Bias November 14, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Congrats Jen! This is a big project for your first wearable clothing item. you should be very proud.

• Reply Kieran November 17, 2014 at 4:05 AM

Yours looks great!

I haven’t bought the sewing pattern yet, so obviously haven’t started, so this might be a silly question. But, I have been reading the sewalong posts to see if I could make this and still finish the side seams nicely without an overlocker/serger whilst still keeping the side slits. It looks to me like your overlocked edge on your side seam is completely turned under. Could I topstitch that side seam down as a way to finish that edge? so, when sewing the slit, just keep going to the end of the seam before turning round? I really really hate leaving things at just pinking, lol

• Reply True Bias November 17, 2014 at 7:56 PM

yes the serged edge is completely turned under and stitched so that you don’t see it. The alternate would be to pink, turn that under, and stitch it so you won’t see the pinked edge at all. Like you I do not like to see those raw edges if I can get away with it.

• Reply Kieran November 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Thanks! I’m glad I was looking at things properly. I brought some fabric today for my Sutton, now I just need to buy the pattern and get cracking!

• Reply Md Razaul Karim June 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Just awesome…………..

• Reply African kente July 2, 2015 at 3:20 PM

I’m glad that is very nice.

• Reply 7 Flowing Blouse Patterns to Sew | Radiant Home Studio September 19, 2016 at 6:37 AM

[…] the level of fomality. You can make a solid colored blouse for a classic look, or use the yoke to mix in a contrasting fabric for a more bold look. Or even try making the yoke with lace like Teresa did. There are a lot of […]