SEWING FOR KIDS TUTORIALS

MAKING MY KIDS PAJAMAS

November 20, 2014

I really needed a quick make after making up so many Sutton Blouses and doing the sewalong so I decided to make some pjs up for my kids with some fabric from my stash.  I know that a lot of people like to make pajamas for their kids around the holidays so I thought I would share in case it helps anyone out with theirs.

Both of the main fabrics are from Art Gallery Fabrics.  I’ve said it before and I will say it again that I really love their knits for kids stuff.  They have some really fun prints, but most importantly I just feel like the weight of the fabric is just right, especially for kid clothing.  It holds it’s shape well which makes it easier to sew.  It’s a good medium weight which is good for lots of washings and abuse from my two kiddos.  The navy rib knit for the cuffs and neckband was from Fabric.com.  It’s much thinner, but it worked well.

For the top of the pjs I used the flashback skinny tee from Made by Rae.  I have used that pattern so many times.  It’s just a great basic and perfect for a simply pajama outfit.  I followed the pattern exactly with the 2 inch cuff option and just did a simple zigzag stitch for the turned up hem.  Super simple and fast.

For the bottoms I traced a pair of leggings for both of them.  Pretty simple to do, but if you don’t feel confident there are tons of free patterns online for leggings.  I did a 2 inch cuff on the bottom and a 1 inch elastic for the waistband.

If you want to go an even simpler route there is this winter pjs pattern from peek a boo patterns or this amazing vintage pattern.

How about you guys?  Do you make new pjs every year for yourself or kids?  Do you have a go to pattern?  I’m still looking for a good nightgown pattern for my daughter if anyone knows of one.

• Reply anna November 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM

they’re so cute, your kids and their pjs. 🙂

• Reply Ginger November 20, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Soooo cute! I couldn’t tell you the last time I made myself pajamas (maybe three years ago?) but I really should… mine are in a pretty shocking state! Love the prints you chose for these two!

• Reply Michelle November 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM

They are too cute for words! These jammies are wonderful! Good work, Mom!

• Reply Amanda November 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Seriously adorable. I always have this idea I’ll make PJs for my cousins’ kids, but I never get around to it. Part of me is concerned with getting the sizing right. Love the idea of using knits and simple patterns – I had only thought of wovens and button-downs! For myself, I use Kwik Sew 3602 for pants (and add in an elastic waist). I’ve been wanting to try Vogue 8888 too.

• Reply Amanda November 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Wait, V8888 is more of a slip. Never mind. Could still be nice though. 🙂

• Reply mjb November 20, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I just made 2 sets of these for my son: http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m6428-products-14875.php but I think the nightgown is cute, too. Or I’d consider the O&S hopscotch dress for a nightgown.

• Reply susie qew November 20, 2014 at 6:33 PM

my mom makes me two pairs of pajamas pants every year. this year i left home and moved to another country (bringing the pants), and the pajamas pants are the things i would save if the house ever catches fire. your children are so loved and lucky, and one day they will be proudly telling their friends all about these homemade clothes, like i do :).

• Reply Kat @ House of Lane November 20, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Oh they are just too cute! I’ve never made Imogen pj’s I might need to do that this year. Last year I bought her new ones to wear on Christmas Eve. Maybe this year I’ll make us all matching pj’s. oh and before I forget thanks for the Sutton sewalong. I’m pretty stoked on mine and have worn it heaps already.

• Reply sallie November 21, 2014 at 8:13 AM

These are so adorable! I want to make a big kid pair for myself! I love this style of pajamas on kids, and I always loved the tradition of getting new pjs for the holidays – weirdly enough it always made everything feel more special. Great job Kelli!

• Reply Paula November 21, 2014 at 8:32 AM

The big problem for me is to find this kind of fabrics. Here in Portugal it is almost impossible, and when we find some knits, it is usually very awful pattern..
    Have to search online, but there isnt much to choose, either.
    Do you know any good online fabric stores that ship from Europe?
    Great work, as usual 🙂

• Reply Heather November 21, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Is it crazy that I want to make these pajamas for myself? They both look adorable in their new lounge duds!

• Reply Ruth S November 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Cute PJs. The Racerback dress by Crafterhours makes a great summer nightgown. Not sure if you can buy it now, but it’s pretty basic. I’ve also used the pleated smock dress from Happy Homemade in flannel and added a ruffle for a winter nightgown.

• Reply Kay November 24, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Adorable pjs and kids. I have not made pjs in years

• Reply Jenny November 24, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Halfway through my kids Christmas pj’s using this exact combo of Flashback Skinny Tee and self-drafted legs. Have also used the Flashback for a knit nightgown, just cut the bodice about an inch under the armpit and adding either a half-circle skirt or simple gathered rectangles – they are my daughter’s favourites and oh so cute!