SEWING SEWING FOR KIDS

TODDLER SPAGHETTI STRAP DRESS

August 4, 2014

I’ve been in major stash busting mode this week (more of that to come) and so I decided to finally make up this sweet little dress for my daughter using Burdastyle 6/2010 #147.  This was kinda a trial run for a different dress that I am making for my daughter, but I think it turned out well all in all.

It’s a really simple pattern.  The printout is actually only the bodice and then you cut out rectangles for the skirt and straps.  The instructions, as usual,  were pretty worthless, so I just did my own thing.  It was simple enough to figure out on my own.

The fit isn’t perfect.  I took out about a half inch of width from both the front and back bodice pieces and I think that I could have taken out a bit more.  Or at least moved in where the straps meet the bodice.  I also wish that I had shortened the bodice by about an inch.  It seems to hit a bit long for my taste.  I think that little girl dresses look best when they hit at the belly button or above, but that is just my personal preference.

The fabric is Joel Dewberry and I chose it because it reminded me loosely of Liberty of London.  The whole dress is lined with some brown cotton lawn from my stash.

I am a bit worried about the tension on the spaghetti straps due to the weight of the dress.  Any tips on how to reinforce the seam where those attach?

• Reply Debbie Iles August 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM

That’s so lovely! Such a pretty little summer dress. You’ve inspired me. I really have to investigate my girls wardrobes but have been having too much making myself things. Must stop this selfishness 😉

• Reply Clio August 4, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Very sweet and pretty! And it looks like it fits with a little room to grow. I would probably just reinforce the strap stitching (go back and forth a few times) and perhaps add an extra row of stitching to the lining. But I don’t have a particular expertise so others may have more clever ideas!

• Reply Lori August 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Very sweet dress, it does look like Liberty of London fabric. Back when I made these sweet little dresses, I would just sew over the straps multiple times. Interfacing in this area might help, too.

• Reply crab&bee August 4, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I love those back buttons!

I’ve never seen this done, but I wonder if you could stitch a thinner ribbon under the entire strap if you don’t want to remove them. It would change the look of the strap a bit.

• Reply Fabric Tragic August 4, 2014 at 6:59 PM

So pretty. I love the button back. You could sew an extra button over the top of the strap seam to add strength or make some little flat bows to do the same thing if you don’t like the look of extra stitching….

• Reply Ginger August 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM

This is adorable! I love it!

• Reply liza jane August 4, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Super cute! I thought it was Liberty at first. I like the idea of stitching on bows to reinforce. Just little ones, though.

• Reply oonaballoona August 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

as usual, i want your child’s dress. this time i want her shoes too.

• Reply True Bias August 11, 2014 at 8:21 PM

haha. and the shoes are very doable. i actually have the exact same matching pair. they are saltwaters. the best sandal ever made.

• Reply Lucinda August 9, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Sorry – i have no strap reinforcement tips, but I did want to comment to say how lovely this dress is! The style really suits the fabric choice. I smiled when I read your comment about the worthless Burda interactions – that’s exactly how I feel about them too! Would rather follow a Japanese pattern with diagrams than an English pattern with vague instructions. Eager to see the next version as well!

• Reply True Bias August 11, 2014 at 8:19 PM

thanks lucinda – and yes, those instructions are the worst. good thing they are cheap.

• Reply Dahrann August 20, 2014 at 4:27 AM

Most help articles on the web are inaccurate or inneehroct. Not this!

• Reply Gail August 11, 2014 at 11:36 PM

what a super sweet dress – that fabric is perfect for it, and so are the saltwaters 🙂

• Reply Preethi August 12, 2014 at 3:12 AM

The dress is very pretty. How did you manage to get the thin straps? They have come out really good.

• Reply Natasha B|Fashionably Fabulous October 13, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I would be in sew much trouble if I had a little girl. I bet it is sew much fun sewing for your princess. Just discovered your blog and love it. This dress is just too cute! xo

• Reply True Bias October 21, 2014 at 9:49 AM

thanks so much! it is pretty fun making mini things 🙂