ON MY MIND

PODCAST JUNKIE

April 22, 2014

I admit it, I am a podcast junkie.  I have always been someone who preferred listening to talk radio in the car than to music.  Now that I don’t have a car I have found that listening to podcasts through my phone is the perfect escape for me.  I know that a lot of sewists watch shows while they sew, but I have found that podcasts are my perfect medium while working on a project.  I have found a few podcasts that are sewing/blogging specific and have loved keeping up with them.  Here is my short list and I would love to hear what podcasts you guys love too – especially ones that are focused on sewing and blogging.

Modern Sewciety – I love that there is an actual sewing podcast out there!  She recently interviewed both Sew Caroline and April Rhodes and it was so amazing to listen to the stories behind their businesses.

Smart Creative Women – This podcast is focused on women in business, but more often than not these women are creative bloggers of some sort.  There is a lot of talk about branding which I have found really useful.

The Fizzle – This is an entrepreneur podcast geared towards bloggers.  Although not sewing related in the slightest I have found it really motivating and entertaining.  I can honestly say that listening to this podcast finally gave me the guts to buckle down and start on my first True Bias pattern (coming in May).

This American Life – Nothing about blogging or sewing here, but this is my favorite podcast to listen to when I am sewing and don’t need to concentrate too hard.

The Moth – Another storytelling podcast, this one tends to be more free form and I find it to be so inspirational.

• Reply Lisette April 22, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I could talk forever about podcasts…I’m in love with them. My favorites are Stuff You Missed In History Class (the other “Stuff” podcasts are generally not very well presented or researched), Case Closed! (old detective story broadcasts from the 30s-60s), Discovery by the BBC, NYC History by The Bowery Boys, Radiolab, The Moth, Snap Judgement, Wait Wait…the list goes on and on! I try new ones every month or so but these are my steadys. It’s hard finding good science podcasts that aren’t too dry or advanced.

• Reply Kelli Ward April 22, 2014 at 3:24 PM

You have some fun ones that Ive never heard of. I must give them a try.

• Reply Jenny April 22, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Thanks for this list! I absolutely love podcasts, and just made my own list the other day that you might be interested in – http://cashmerette.blogspot.com/2014/04/whats-your-sewing-soundtrack.html

• Reply Heather Lou April 22, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Have you listened to Thread Cult? That’s another great sewing podcast from Daughter Fish. I basically only listen to podcasts these days, probably 20 or so on a regular basis (but I subscribe to I dunno, 40 or more). Mostly comedy because I LIKE TO LAUGH.

• Reply Clio April 22, 2014 at 3:06 PM

I second Thread Cult!

• Reply Kelli Ward April 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM

wow, how did I never know about thread cult before. i am officially addicted.

• Reply Rebecca G April 26, 2014 at 12:49 AM

thread cult is the BEST ONE! yay now we all agree 🙂

• Reply Clio April 22, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I second Thread Cult!

• Reply EmSewCrazy April 22, 2014 at 3:12 PM

OOh I’m going to have to check this out! I too love podcasts for when I want to get some serious sewing done!
    I third Thread Cult
    I also like Classic Tales Podcast, The Smart Passive Income and Librivox to download stories.

• Reply Kelli Ward April 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM

thank you. Ive been meaning to try smart passive income

• Reply Leah April 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I third Thread Cult, on the non sewing front – 99% invisible. The Born yesterday podcast – heavy duty and not so heavy duty history. A Good Story is hard to find – an interesting take on books and movies. And of course, even though it only shows up maybe once a month – The Tobolowsky Files

• Reply Kelli Ward April 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM

thanks for the list. i forgot about 99% invisible. such a good one.

• Reply Ann April 22, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Comedy-wise, The Dead Authors Podcast cracks me up. I agree on The Tobolowsky Files!

• Reply Kelli Ward April 22, 2014 at 3:26 PM

i could use some comedy in my life. thanks!

• Reply Suzanne April 22, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I’m totally on board with listening to podcasts while sewing! I like the Moth and This American Life too, plus Radiolab, and a few from CBC Radio (Canadian Broadcasting Corp.) I do have to watch myself that I don’t start making mistakes if I get too engrossed in a story. This American Life can do that to me. I also love podcasts/radio when I do dishes. It is my downtime.

• Reply Kelly April 22, 2014 at 4:53 PM

I haven’t listened to any sewing or creative podcasts before, thanks for alerting me that they’re out there! I’m going to have to check them out. I love This American Life, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me (a comedy news quiz), Risk (another story telling podcast), and Stuff You Should Know (lots of interesting topics).

• Reply Kelly April 22, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’ve been doing this lately too, I love This American Life and I need to check out the sewing ones people have mentioned. The one I listen to most often is Radio West, with Doug Fabrizio. He had the best interviewing style, and the topics range from history to politics, art, culture, science…but it is always interesting because he has a way of asking very thoughtful questions.

• Reply Kelly April 22, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Oh, and a couple weeks ago he interviewed Ira Glass, I am listening to that one tonight 🙂 Here’s the link!

• Reply Julie-Katie H April 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Also, although it’s quilting related (but not all guest are quilters- she had Sara from Sew Sweetness’ bags on), and then the past episodes if the Crafty Pod (it’s no longer running)
    -Julie

• Reply Julie-Katie H April 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Oops, the quilting related podcast is Pat Sloan’s

• Reply Julie-Katie H April 22, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I love Abby glassenberg’s “while she naps” podcast, where she talks about running a creative business (and I don’t even run a creative business!). Lately she’s been asking guests their favorite things, from apps to other and random things, and I’ve learned a lot.

• Reply Andrea B April 22, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I know you knit a little bit, so maybe you’d like Knit.fm, hosted by Hannah Fettig (popular knitwear pattern designer) and Pam Allen (of Quince & Co yarns).

Non-craft related, I love Planet Money — very short & consumable pieces about economics for a non-economics-minded audience. They recently did a long-term project tracking the creation of a t-shirt, so they explored the cotton and garment industries and documented the lives of garment workers in Bangladesh and Colombia. It was fascinating to see how far one t-shirt travels and how many hands it passes through, despite how cheap it is for us to buy.

• Reply Risa West April 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM

I love this american life… but never heard of the others. I’m going to have to check them all out. And congrats on a pattern! There is so much work that goes into pattern drafting/making that I applaud you!

• Reply Monica Lee April 23, 2014 at 9:31 AM

I just happened across this-thank you for the shout out! I actually have fabric designer Melody Miller up today! She is the new creative director of Cotton and Steel fabrics!

• Reply Kelli Ward April 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Oh man, I can wait to listen. I have been so interested in their story ever since I saw their video.

• Reply puu April 23, 2014 at 11:22 AM

i love the work christine puts into thread cult, so count me in there. i’m a show-watcher while i sew – but in the car i love the ‘a way to garden’ and ‘real dirt’ podcasts, and a colleague of mine got me into listening to college lectures on iTunes. i’m currently finishing up an awesome astronomy class from Ohio State. i’m keen to try some foreign language podcasts this long summer in my garden – i like “learn french by podcast” for now.

• Reply emily.marie April 23, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Yes, I LOVE podcasts! I The Moth and TAL (going to see Ira Glass in a couple weeks and cannot contain myself!!) are so good, but the others are new to me. Thanks! I listen to mostly comedy podcasts, which are very impractical compared to entrepreneurial advice. 🙂

• Reply Jennifer, Workroom Social April 23, 2014 at 4:37 PM

What about Radio Lab? It’s one of my favs!

• Reply katherine h April 24, 2014 at 6:20 AM

I’ll have to come back to this post…I haven’t listened to podcast whilst sewing, but I think it is something I would enjoy.

• Reply ybat April 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I only listen to one podcast and that’s Hollywood Babbleon. Its with Kevin Smith from Clerks fame and Ralph Garmon. It is absolutely hysterical.

• Reply adrianavelbac April 25, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I’m addicted to the Fizzle Show! Never heard of Modern Sewciety, I’ll definitely listen to that! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Domenica July 5, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Hi Kelli,
    I’m also someone who prefers to listen to podcast rather than music. Any opportunity to learn something new! I especially love listening to podcast while I’m sewing. Thanks for your top podcast lists. The sewing related podcasts that I love are Modern Sewciety, and American Patchwork and Quilting. Thread Cult is also in there. I have also just started my own sewing podcast which is a tad scary, but fun all at the same time.
    I love Smart Passive Income, Ask Pat, Internet Business Mastery, Elise Gets Crafty and While She Naps for internet business and blogging tips and chatter. I’ve never heard of the Smart Creative Women podcast, but I’m going to check it out now!
    Thanks for your list!

• Reply True Bias July 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM

whats the name of your sewing podcast? id love to listen.

• Reply stephanie September 27, 2016 at 8:40 AM

Thank you so so much for this mention. I somehow saw this on a google search. We need to chat again soon.