SEWING SEWING FOR KIDS TUTORIALS

A WEEK OF UP-CYCLES : DAY 1

September 30, 2013

I go through this every season.  In an effort to make more room in our small NYC apartment I purge my clothing.  If I havn’t worn in it in the last 3 months and its not seasonal then it’s outta here.  It feels SO good to get rid of stuff.  But as I am purging, my kids are growing out of their clothes.  So it’s the perfect excuse to up-cycle some of my old clothing into new clothing for them.  I am going to spend all of my sewing time this week making over these clothes into new ones for my kiddos.  Every day I will share at least one of them with you.  I hope you enjoy it!

Today is a very simple up-cycle.  I have had this dress for over 3 years and maybe worn in twice.  It was a Gap clearance buy when I was pregnant with my first and I didn’t fit into my regular clothes, but couldn’t fit the pregnancy clothes yet.  So now when I wear it I either feel pregnant or very juvenile.  That being said the fabric is soft and silky and a really beautiful print/color.  I decided to keep it simple and just make a skirt for my daughter.

The process:

It really couldn’t have been simpler.  I measured how long I wanted the skirt + 1 1/2″ for a 1″ elastic waistband casing.  I used the original hem and side seams.

I folded the top down by 1/4″ then again by 1 1/8″and pressed/pinned.  Then I stitched that in place leaving a 2 inch opening for the elastic.

Next I put the elastic through the casing, stitched the two ends of the elastic together, and then sewed up the opening in the casing of the skirt.  I top stitched in the middle of the elastic on the right side of the skirt, stretching as I went, to keep the elastic from turning, but this stem is optional.

Finished!  Super easy and adorable.  15 minutes total.  My daughter loves it too.

Come back tomorrow for a little bit more involved up-cycle.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee September 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Brilliant! And adorable!

• Reply lisa g. September 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM

very cute skirt!

• Reply Natasha October 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM

When you say you get rid of stuff that isn’t seasonal, does that mean you buy new clothes every season?

• Reply Kelli Ward October 1, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Ha! no I wish! No, what I meant to say was that if I didn’t wear something in the last three months – and the reason was not because it is the wrong season to wear it, then I get rid of it.

• Reply oonaballoona October 1, 2013 at 8:22 AM

i thought that was a woman sized skirt at first and i kind of couldn’t wait to see you rock it at a meetup. 🙂 what a great idea, you’re going to feel like a superhero by the end of this!

• Reply A Fine Hand October 1, 2013 at 10:15 PM

What an awesome way to deal with clothes that won’t be worn by you. Your daughter will be dressed in the loveliest fabrics and you will get a second enjoyment seeing them on her.

• Reply gingermakes October 3, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Wow, this is such a great idea, and I love the way the skirt turned out! Super cute!

• Reply Carolyn (cmarie12) October 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

I remember doing this! It was a great way to lengthen the life of things and to give me fabric to sew with since we were working with a limited budget. I also changed up the girls jeans – during fall/winter they were long and as they grew out of them (usually lengthwise) I cut them off as shorts and either hemmed them or added trim to them. It’s a really cute skirt, too!

• Reply Rosalind October 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM

That is gorgeous fabric! I have just cut up a dress of mine intending for it to become a skirt for me, thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Jennifer @ Workroom Social October 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Super fun series! Love this skirt. I would have worn that thing to death as a little girl.