ON MY MIND SEWING

SEWING FUNK : WHAT’S ON MY TABLE

June 25, 2013

I’ve been in a serious sewing funk lately.  Pretty much every time that I start a project I begin to realize that the style is not working well with my current post partum body shape and so I get sidetracked and stop.  Then I start a new project for my daughter and work on that instead.

I’ve been working on the following two projects for me for the past 2 months.  They are going very slowly.  I am just having a hard time getting excited about them.

First is the black jumpsuit.

I was SO excited about this project when I started.  It seemed like that perfect mom outfit – comfy, but still on trend.  But then as it started to near completion I had a major – “What was I thinking?” moment. I honestly just feel silly in it.  I’m trying to figure out how to save it – Cut it off into a top?  Cut it off into shorts?  Still to be determined.  The fabric is an amazingly soft bamboo knit that I don’t want to have go to waste.

Next I am working on these pleated pants.

After I put together this Sewing On Trend post I became obsessed with finding the perfect pair.  I found these pants online and fell in love (arn’t they perfection?).  Using McCalls 6514 as a very loose base pattern I have been trying to recreate them.  It’s been a long (and very boring) process.  I am still in the muslin stage.  Please send some serious sewing mojo my way to help me finish them up.  I really think they will be cool once I do.

• Reply Rebecca June 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I actually like the top of the jumpsuit! It would look awesome if the bottom was cropped or ankle-length and slimmer!

That McCall’s pants pattern looks seriously awesome and comfy!

• Reply LisaRae June 25, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Could you turn the bottom portion into a skirt so it would still be a jumper but with a skirt instead? Pair it with some leggings if you don’t like skirts as is.

• Reply gingermakes June 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Nooo! I’m so sad that you don’t like the jumpsuit– I got really excited when I saw the thumbnail! You look CUTE in it! It might be really fun if you pegged the legs, more like the pleated pants that you like.

• Reply 2peachesLA June 25, 2013 at 12:05 PM

I love the jumpsuit! But, it’s definitely true that if you aren’t comfortable in it you’ll never wear it. Maybe size down the bottoms for some soft leggings under tunics?

• Reply Kestrel June 25, 2013 at 12:13 PM

What a shame! I really like the look of the jumpsuit. But if you don’t like it there’s no point since it won’t get worn. I’ll send you some good vibes 🙂

• Reply oonaballoona June 25, 2013 at 12:30 PM

whoah whoah WHOAH another vote for the jumpsuit! capri length those pants and you’re GOLDEN.

(ps: i have to leave for work in 1 minute so you know i mean it. AND my word veri was “largxe victory”. no lie.)

• Reply Elena June 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Totally agree with everyone else about the jumpsuit! Crop the legs a bit and it’ll be so cute.

• Reply travelling_soo June 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Don’t worry about feeling silly in the jumpsuit – I made the exact same one but in red last year and I also struggled with the same feeling but I have to say that it is probably one of the things which I receive the most compliments on. Just wear it with pride! 🙂

• Reply Erica June 25, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I think the jumpsuit would make a great top, if you wanted to rework it. I’ve got a couple patterns myself recently that I was initially excited about, but am now not sure if they are my style. We shall see…

• Reply lisa g. June 25, 2013 at 3:33 PM

i think the jumpsuit looks super promising! i concur with bringing in the legs a touch and shortening the pants, but i bet you can make it work!

• Reply Laura Fisher June 25, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I’m with Gingermakes – you look cute as it is! If you want a change (I am bowing down to you for even attempting this project!!) then I’d go for the top. The sleeves and neckline really suit you. Oh, and let’s not overlook the fact that you’re wearing a belt…around you waist! Post partum, schmartum! x

• Reply lsaspacey June 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Okay, I like the jumpsuit. Perhaps taper the legs? But if you still don’t… Cut them apart for pants AND a top, if you have the extra fabric. For pants, cut them at the height where you would normally add a waistband. If the top is now too short add a band to the bottom of it in either the same fabric or something else, color-block it? You could also make the waistband in a different color like this.

• Reply katherine h June 25, 2013 at 5:29 PM

From here the jumpsuit looks rather chic. Double chic if you consider most mommie outfits! Perhaps you need to wear it out and see what real life people think? And everything looks better when you add heels.

• Reply Sally Hepler June 25, 2013 at 5:37 PM

I love the jumpsuit! You look great in it – I would pair it with a bolder belt – maybe a fun print or neon for summer! 🙂

• Reply Jennifer June 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I love the jumpsuit. I think shorten the legs a little bit until the are just longer than your ankle, a bigger belt and some heels and perfection!!!

• Reply Amy June 25, 2013 at 10:27 PM

I like the jumpsuit! I would just make the legs a little more narrow and cropped, or cuff them.

• Reply Cirque Du Bebe June 26, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I cannot wait to see those pleated pants. I’ve been trying to get my head around something similar…no action taken yet. And as for the jumpsuit…mmm…I think cut it off shorter and wear with some cute wedges or summer sandals and you’ll be sweet. Time to de-funk girl!

• Reply Suzanne August 13, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I like the jumpsuit too — though I do have reservations for you as a mom…I can imagine how hard it would be to deal with, say, when crowded into a public bathroom with your two kids…trying not to let the top drag on the dirty floor….hmmm, maybe make a skirt for the bottom?