ON MY MIND SEWING

ON MY MIND : MALE SEWING PATTERNS

June 3, 2013

I’ve noticed a small trend popping up lately that there are more sewing options for men available.  I have only sewed a couple of garments for my husband – both were McCalls 6044 (blogged here and here).  I found it extremely satisfying to make both of these shirts.  Perhaps it’s the fact that he has less curves to deal with than me, but fitting the muslin was much easier than fitting a garment for myself.  I also think that it helps that he is much less self-conscious of his body than I am and that men’s fashion trends move much slower and so he seems more easily pleased than I generally might be.  In fact, he still wears both of these shirts all of the time (which brings a smile to my face every time).

I’ve wanted to make more things for him, but honestly havn’t found any other patterns that seemed worth my time.  Recently, though, I have seen a few patterns on the internet that have perked my interest in sewing for him again.

Here are a few on my list.

Thread Theory Newcastle Cardigan – Thread Theory is a new pattern company that only creates patterns for men.  So far they have only released this one, but I am pretty excited to see what else they come up with.  Their designs seem to be pretty on trend.

Green Pepper Bicycling Jersey – I first saw this when Carolyn of Fake It While You Make It made one for her husband.  My husband is a big road biker and I think he would be thrilled with a custom jersey.

The Avocado Hoodie by Disparate Dispatches – This is a new indie pattern company that seems to focus on practical, everyday wear.  The best detail about this hoodie is that it has an extra pocket on the lower back so that your partner can have a warm hand while having their arm around you.  I could totally see myself making his and hers versions for an anniversary or valentines day.

So what do you think?
Do you often sew men’s patterns?
Would you give any of these a try?
Do you know of some awesome men’s patterns that I have missed?

• Reply dandeliondrift June 3, 2013 at 4:40 PM

I haven’t sewn a thing for my husband, except pajamas. I would love to try more though. My husband is a tricky size (he has loooong arms and legs) so buying things off the rack isn’t the easiest. I’d love to see what you make!

• Reply Sarah June 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I’ve sewn a few T shirts for my husband but I’m definitely keen to challenge myself and make something more complicated for him. I’ve been eyeing the Newcastle Cardigan since it was released and will probably add that to my autumn/winter sewing list! I’ve made the ladies Avocado hoodie and love it so I’m sure the men’s version would be great too.

• Reply Beth June 3, 2013 at 4:50 PM

My husband is short, so the sewing I do for him mostly involves hemming store-bought pants. I have sewn him simple pajama pants, a lunch bag and a corduroy jacket. The jacket was, by far, the most challenging male sewing I’ve done. You can read about it here: http://fresahandmade.wordpress.com/category/finished-projects/jacket/

• Reply Sarah June 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I know this is completely contrary to the spirit of this post, but I want to make that Newcastle Cardigan for myself.

Actually my husband has just bought a new bike, so thank you for the link to the bike jersey pattern!

The only thing I have sewn for my husband is a pair of pajama pants. I used a basic elastic-waist pants pattern from the Scientific Seamstress, which is great, except I made the lower-rise version. That just seemed more modern to me, but I failed to account for how certain aspects of the male anatomy demand a roomier rise….

• Reply lisa g. June 3, 2013 at 7:52 PM

i’ve started sewing dress shirts for my husband and plan to move on to pants soon. i have the newcastle cardigan pattern, i just need to find some fabric for it (and i wouldn’t mind one for myself…)! it is satisfying, and i feel like my husband puts up with a lot to give me sewing time (i do make most of the clothes for my family, so it’s not all selfish!). the least i can do is make him a few things since he has a hard time finding clothes that fit in rtw!

• Reply BusyLizzie June 3, 2013 at 11:17 PM

My hubby won’t let me sew for him, I think he is too scared I will make us matching outfits!

• Reply katherine h June 4, 2013 at 1:16 AM

The Jalie men’s t-shirt looks good on my bloke

• Reply Clio June 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

In the past I’ve sewn a number of pj’s, boxers and one shirt for my Phin, but I promised him shirts this year and I really have to get going on it. There does seem to be more mens patterns lately, but I hadn’t heard of any of these.

• Reply Olivia September 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Gee wilsekirl, that’s such a great post!

• Reply liza jane June 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

My husband just got out one of the mccalls 6044 shirts I made for him. Unfortunately it’s made out of fabric that HAS to be ironed and he’s always asking me to iron it for him! Ha! I only do it because I made it. I really like that cardigan.

• Reply gingermakes June 5, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I’ve been meaning to make a McCall’s 6044 shirt for ages and haven’t prioritized it (terrible). I love the Thread Theory cardigan, but unfortunately hubs does not, so I’m waiting for some of their other patterns to be released. I’m thinking that I will try out their trouser pattern on him.

• Reply Kelly June 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My husband is just a little smaller than a RTW size small, so I sew simple fitted jackets and shirts for him now and then, which is so fun because he really appreciates it. There are always lots of hugs and jumping up and down 🙂 I really want to make him a Newcastle Cardigan. He’s not terribly keen on it, but his gripes are more about the styling and fabric choice than the actual design so I think I’m just going to do it without consulting him.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee June 10, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I try to make my husband one handmade garment a year ( and a slew of handkerchiefs – because for whatever reason, he loves them). So far I’ve only made him a couple of shirts from a modified Negroni pattern (modified to make it more of a traditional shirt) and I have one planned for this summer too. But he’s been asking for a pair of jeans, and I love the look of that Thread Theory cardigan.