SEWING ON TREND : CORSETED UNDERWIRE SWIMSUIT

May 21, 2013

Images above :  Tory Burch Eden printed underwire swimsuit  |  Stained Glass One Piece  |  Cream Texture Polka Swimsuit  |  Camilla and Marc Striped One-Piece  |  Camilla and Marc Byzantine Underwire

I have seen a lot of these corset style, underwire, color blocked swimsuits around and I love the style.  So of coarse, I want to make one now.  I have a beach family reunion coming up at the end of the summer and I think I want to make at least one of these for the trip.

As for patterns this is the closest that I can find.  The great thing is that she even did a whole sewalong for the pattern.

Ohhh Lulu’s Ginger Bodysuit and Separates

So what do you guys think?
Do you like this look?
Do you think it’s flattering?
Any other ideas for patterns?

• Reply Erica May 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Oh, I love these! Especially the ones with the waistbands. I’ve never sewn with a stretchy material before, although I just bought some jersey to try making some tees.

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

good luck with your tees. I think I saw that craftsy has a tshirt class. might be good.

• Reply lisa g. May 21, 2013 at 3:20 PM

love these! been wanting to do my own swim suit with that pattern. never thought to color block it though, may have to try that!

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

i think the colorblocking would be really flattering.

• Reply Shona Roon May 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I LOVE this swimsuits! I’ve been wanting one like this for myself too. This Ralph Pink pattern would give you the balconnet style bra cups you’re looking for: http://ralphpink-patterns.com/store/rp013/. I have this pattern printed out and ready to go, I’ve been meaning to sew it up ever since Amy’s bra sew along! I think I would lengthen this and use it along with the Ginger bottoms. Of course, if you’re in a hurry, I think it’s best to just sew up the Ginger.

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

thank you SO much for the pattern tip. its perfect!

• Reply Laura J. May 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Love them. I think I’m too big up top to carry it off. Although if I could actually make my own, that might not be a problem. I’m terrified of stretchy fabrics. My sewing machine LOVES them though. To eat. So it never really works out. But for YOU, I think any one of these would be fantastic. #4 is my favorite. I love the way the chevron stripes don’t match at the waist. I think that print could be really flattering to the mid-section.

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

im a little top heavy myself right now, but im hoping they die down a bit in the next few months.

• Reply angela May 21, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Love this pattern, I would love to attempt it. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

• Reply Mikhaela Reid May 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

These are amazing! I’m not ready to try this myself but can’t wait to see your version. #4 is wonderful.

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:38 PM

i know. i love that one too. if i could only find the fabric.

• Reply Tess May 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I love these! I’m not comfortable in bikinis or tankinis at the moment, and a lot of cute one pieces aren’t supportive enough. It seems like this style would be the best of both worlds.

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:39 PM

yes, the support is key to me. that is why i love this style too.

• Reply poppykettle May 21, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Abso-freakin-lutely. I love them all!!! My biggest gripe with one pieces has always been lack of structure and support for under the bust – this would compensate for that wonderfully. My favourite – the grey and striped numer with the hot pink waist detail. Haute. Full steam ahead!

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

love the waist detail too. kind of like a cool little belt.

• Reply Stephanie May 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I LOVE that style of suit. I think they are so flattering. I can’t wait to see how yours turns out.

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

thanks Stephanie. You should try it too.

• Reply mkonieczki May 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

GREAT idea! I’m pretty sold on sewing a one piece similar to the inpiration in photo #1. The pattern is a ringer for the shape of it. Now, to find fabric!

• Reply Kelli Ward May 22, 2013 at 2:40 PM

can’t wait to see what you find.

• Reply Nicole Runde May 22, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I made a two-piece swimsuit from that pattern last summer–it turned out really awesome, and I can’t wait to make another this summer (a one piece, I think!). Here’s a pic: http://instagram.com/p/OfF874IlPh/

• Reply cateoh May 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I just read this http://closetcasefiles.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/sneak-peek-bombshell-swimsuit.html and thought you might be interested.

• Reply Sew Brunswick May 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I have the ginger two piece cut out and waiting. I think I’ve even done the pants. Must pull it out for our family holiday to SLC & LA!! I’ve made a few swimsuits and am always surprised at how easy they are. Can’t wait to see yours!

• Reply crystalpleats May 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I hope you do! I love your inspiration suits, especially #1 and #5.

• Reply gingermakes May 24, 2013 at 10:57 PM

These are so cute! They look super flattering and fun, modest but not TOO covered up. I love the idea of modifying the Ginger pattern. Happy sewing!

• Reply Fer January 25, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Hi! Could you share the link for the sewalong? Thanks : )