SEWING ON TREND : PLEATED PANTS

April 22, 2013

I am sure that I am not the only one who has noticed that pleated pants are making a big comeback.  It has been a LONG time since I have rocked this look – like 15 years – so my apprehensions are a little high thinking about this one.  More than any other trend that has popped back up over last few years, this one really screams 80’s to me.  And yet, I find myself gravitating towards it.  When done right (big emphasis on the done right) I think it can be really cute.  Especially when made in a flowy fabric and paired with a tight fitting skinny tee either tucked in or tied off at the waist.

So yep, today I am focusing on the comeback of the pleated pants.  Where is the best inspiration in ready to wear and how can we make ourselves a great pair for spring?

First, the inspiration:

Here are a few of the patterns that I thought would work really well for a similar look.

Simplicity 1887

Burda 7250

McCalls 6514

So there you go.  I am curious to know what you guys think.  I am pretty sure its going to be polarizing.    Bring it on!
Would you guys ever rock the pleated pants?

Do any of these patterns speak to you?

Have you tried these patterns and if so what do you think?

• Reply Mae April 22, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I could see myself attempting to pull these off… but my biggest *must have* for modernizing them (in my head bc I was born in 87′ & missed this trend) is the zipper at the ankle. I think it completely pulls them out of the baby got back videos and brings them to now.

So to all of you who lived through the 80’s, were there zippers on the ankles then or does that just seem more modern to me?

Mae

• Reply Sew little time April 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM

sorry but there certain were ankle zips (at least in the UK). not in this style of trousers – more in skinny styles. and awful denim washes *shudder*

• Reply Helen April 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Can totally back this up. Skinny stonewashed jeans with ankle zips! Equally shuddering as the stonewashed look is coming back (at least according to the juniors at my hairdressers!).

• Reply Adrienne April 22, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Yep, I third this one and I’m from the Midwest. They were more popular back then than they are now. I can’t do ankle zips today because I hated them in the 80s!

• Reply Laura J. April 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

We did have zippered ankles, on jeans at least. I feel like that continued into the 90s as well, but maybe it’s all just a blur of bizarre choices. There was tight-rolling, and then someone (Jordace, probably) came along and said “wait, no! Let’s just make them so tight that there has to be a zipper on the bottom to get them over your foot!” Then someone else came along and said “on top of that, let’s jack up the waist and add pleats!”

I’m going to sit out the pleats this time around. My mommy belly is enough of a problem for me already. I don’t want to go thrusting it the face of others with pleated announcement. However, I do like looks #1 & #3 above. But I feel like you can do those without pleats.

• Reply mjb April 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I haven’t sewn pants, but I’d start with the Burda style – I think their pant fit is supposed to be pretty good to start with.

• Reply Amy April 22, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Hmmm. I will probably leave the pleated pants alone and admire everyone’s creations from a distance. There are certain shapes from long ago that I an not thrilled in bringing back.

• Reply Gwenan April 22, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I’d just been wondering about making some of these. I was looking at the papercut pattern but can’t find many reviews of it yet. I didn’t know it was an 80s style so it just looks modern to me! (Well, the inspiration photos do… the pattern envelopes, not so much!)

• Reply sewamysew.com April 22, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Potential hazard- I think if they’re not fitted right they could make the mid section look a little poofy which frankly I do everything I can to avoid. I like them in the glossy mags on the super skinny models though.

• Reply Ally D April 22, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I loovve paper cut patterns pleated pants! They have a panel at the top of the pant to avoid belly poofyness

• Reply Donna Hensley April 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

That Burda pattern is in my queue! And I already have (and wear regularly) two RTW pairs of pleated pants. I can’t say if they look good or not, but I’m enjoying them! 😉

• Reply Tess April 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I’ve been thinking about making a pair myself. I love the look and I think it would be great for gals who live in hot and humid climates. I can’t stand wearing skinny jeans in the summer, but I can imagine that this style would be very comfortable. Not sure how it would work on my mom belly and short legs. . . or how it would look without heels. I guess trying on a pair of rtws is in order.

• Reply Erica April 22, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I definitely am gonna give it a try. I have that Simplicity pattern. The pants look comfy and could be great for lounging around the house in even if I don’t get the courage to rock the look public… We’ll see… 🙂

• Reply Jano April 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I’ve made the burda style ones and the pattern is great. I made them in a silk linen and wore them all summer long. now we are going into winter I’m going to make them in a light weight wool.

• Reply LLBB April 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM

ahhhh, I too am already coming around on this style 🙂
    I like to think I am not swayed by trends but I have to say I’m pretty sure we’ll all be wearing these soon.
    But hopefully without ankle zippers or awful acid wash!

I think these are pretty cute, although spendy:

• Reply Amy April 22, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I haven’t thought about sewing them but this post is making me want to! I would give the first pattern a try.

• Reply gingermakes April 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM

OK, I love the pleated pants trend and I have a pattern in hand that I’ve been meaning to make. It’s a fun style!

• Reply Beth April 29, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I’m totally loving this trend and I’ve already made two pairs of pleated pants! 🙂

• Reply Stacey Moss November 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Which pattern/s did you use? Could you recommend one? Thanks 🙂

• Reply Kelli Ward December 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

i ended up making the suzy pant from tessuti. hope that helps.