January 18, 2013

Pattern: Megan Nielsen’s Rie Dress and Top

Materials Used: Brown mystery knit from my stash (just as a hint I found out that if I folded my fabric differently I was able to use a lot less yardage than recommended – although it may be harder in larger sizes to do so).

Sizing: I made a size S although I think because my knit was really lightweight and stretchy (much more stretch than the 20% recommended) I could have gotten away with an XS.

Changes Made: I ended up taking about an inch out of each sleeve and the chest area.  I also shortened the dress length by about 3 inches to make it more of a tunic.

Conclusion:  Super fast (about 2 hours total) and easy.  I am at the end of my pregnancy so I wasn’t planning on making any more maternity wear, but this was so fast, plus I used stash fabric so there is no guilt with it.  It feels like I am wearing a nightgown which pretty much means I will be wearing it everyday.  Another stellar Megan Nielsen pattern.  Love her.

• Reply liza jane January 18, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Very nice! That will come in handy after the baby is here, too. Look like it could be a cute non-maternity tunic top.

• Reply Shelley Hesson January 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Comfortable, fast, stash-busting, and beautiful. You found the perfect top and you look gorgeous. I’ve never heard of Megan Nielsen. Thanks for the great pattern tip.

• Reply Mika January 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM

• Reply Hillary January 18, 2013 at 9:20 PM

You’re looking great! Long luscious locks, stylish duds, pregnancy glow – very fetching πŸ™‚

• Reply sparkletheunicornsews January 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM

It looks amazing!

• Reply megannielsen January 19, 2013 at 4:07 AM

I LOVE how this Rie has turned out honey!! you are seriously the cutest pregnant lady ever πŸ™‚ hugs!! xoxo

• Reply sallie oleta barbee January 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

You’re looking beautiful, Kelli! The Rie dress totally suits you, looks very comfy and stylish.

• Reply Lauriequinn January 19, 2013 at 1:24 PM

This looks great! I’ll have to try this when I get pregnant! Megan Neilson’s designs are the best too…

Laurie from QuinnStitch

• Reply gingermakes January 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

You look amazing! This looks so cute on you! And it’s really a great color for you!

• Reply Erica January 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Ha ha!! ‘Mystery knit’… I love it! It turned out beautifully! Did I ever tell you that I finished sewing my first skirt ever??!! It turned out so much better than I expected. I am so pleased with it. I’ll have to share some pics soon.

P.S. I’m super excited you like my pearl bracelet DIY. Be sure to share some pics with me when you make your own. I’d love to see them. πŸ™‚

• Reply claire April 27, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Hi there! This looks great! I just attempted the Rie dress last weekend and had a really hard time with the yoke! It was so small and tight around the chest, but I am typically a small. Did you go up a size in the pattern? I ended up tracing around another jersey tank top that I like the fit of and using that. My fabric was a knit but not super stretchyβ€”maybe that was the issue? Your advice would be appreciated!