January 8, 2013

I don’t usually wear a lot of button down tops, but for about the next year (due to breastfeeding) I will be wearing a lot of them.  To accomodate I decided to purchase the following two blouse patterns from McCalls and I am pretty excited about the possibilities.

McCall’s 6436

I love the idea of this loose fitting, but still feminine buttonup.  It also comes in multiple cup sizes (another big plus for the breastfeeding mom).  I am thinking of a nice silky version like the one on the cover, maybe a chambray to wear with black leggings, and a black and white gingham one too.

McCall’s 6648

I really like the cut of this top.  It has low, batwing sleeves and a cute collar.  I am surprised that there are no versions to be found of this already sewn up on the web.  I think it’s a really on trend pattern and I can’t wait to give it a try.

• Reply Kessem January 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I love that first one! I was thinking the exact same thing – that it’s feminine yet loose fitting right before I read what you wrote.
    Also, I kind of made something similar to the second shirt you chose only I made it out of cotton and it’s not really a buttonup (which was the whole point, I know haha) I’ve yet you blog about it, but I LOVE it, it’s so comfy to wear to the office because it’s long sleeved but it’s still light and not very dressed up.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 8, 2013 at 11:12 PM

yes, i feel like that is my new wardrobe. comfortable, without wearing my husbands shirt. plus I like tops that are loose and long enough to wear with leggings. hopefully it fits the bill.

• Reply kitty crafter January 8, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I love the Peter Pan collar blouse too! I’m looking forward to seeing what you whip up. Happy Sewing! 🙂
    Jen (Piggybaby)

• Reply Kelli Ward January 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM

thanks jen. hopefully it works out well!

• Reply Peter Lappin January 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I like both of these a lot. The second might be a PITA to deal with what with that tie and all…

• Reply Kelli Ward January 8, 2013 at 11:11 PM

it took me awhile to figure out what PITA meant, but now I got it. and yes, I am a little worried about the tie too.

• Reply gingermakes January 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Oh, these are both so cute! I can totally see you rocking these!

• Reply Suzanne January 8, 2013 at 5:30 PM

oh yes, dressing for breastfeeding: the ultimate challenge — especially when making stuff for yourself. Love these options. So very pretty. Also, have you seen “Boob” brand nursing tops? I think it would be pretty easy to figure out a way to hack a regular jersey top pattern (like Sewaholic’s Renfrew pattern, for example) to make it easy-access for out-in-public feedings.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM

i havn’t heard of those tops, but I am going to check it out for sure. i need options!

• Reply Mika January 8, 2013 at 7:16 PM

These are both so pretty! I can never figure out what to do with batwing tops though – how do you wear a coat??

• Reply Kelli Ward January 8, 2013 at 11:09 PM

i havn’t even thought about the coat thing. maybe it will have to be a spring only top.

• Reply Gail January 8, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I have the first pattern but prefer McCall’s 5433 for fit. Don’t be put off by the daggy styling on the pattern jacket.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 8, 2013 at 11:08 PM

thanks gail. i will have to check that other pattern out too.

• Reply BusyLizzie January 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM

These are totally stylish and practical, I can definitely see you looking wonderful in both! I like the second one, but perhaps the styling put people off making it, the envelope doesn’t do a good job of selling it.

• Reply Clio January 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Cup sizes is a BIG plus!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee January 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Ooo!! That first McCall’s one looks like the Equipment blouses I’ve been drooling over for the past x number of years! It will be so dreamy in a silk and I am also loving the idea of a simple chambray version. Also, I feel like every time you do one of these pattern inspiration posts you inevitably find the pattern I’ve been needing but didn’t know it until you told me so. So thank you for enabling!

• Reply photosarah January 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I bought the first pattern recently and am hoping to make a version soon. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!