January 25, 2013

I had a few hours of kid free time this week so I decided to take one last trip to the garment district before the baby comes.  I am guessing that it will be at least a couple of months before I can go again, so I was anxious to get a few things.

I only bought two things, but I am pretty happy with my buys.  First of all I bought this clearance fabric at Paron’s Fabrics.  Unfortunately it is a polyester blend, but I loved the pattern so much and the price (at $6 a yard) was too hard to pass up.  It is going to turn into a button down blouse (McCalls 6436) for sure.

I also bought this silk crepe de chine in this awesome coral, orange red hue at Chic fabrics.  I love the drape and the structure of this silk.  It think it’s going to sew up really nicely.  I do have some plans for this fabric, but I am going to let it remain a mystery for the time being.

I have also been doing some knitting lately.  It is really cold right now in NYC so I don’t feel bad at all that I am spending time and money on a new cowl for myself.  This is going to be another gaptastic cowl like the one I made for my sister for Christmas, but his time in a mustard like color for me.

• Reply gingermakes January 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

This fabric is so gorgeous! Both pieces will look great on you! And heck yeah, you need a scarf for this awful weather! It’s just so bitterly cold– this will be just the ticket!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 27, 2013 at 4:35 PM

thanks. it has been SO cold hasn’t it?

• Reply Vanessa January 25, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Nice fabrics! And that gaptastic cowl is adorable! I think it will look nice in the mustard color! I also enjoy knitting, though I have never tried a cowl. My next project will be a baby blanket for my sister’s baby due in April. Keep warm!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

how sweet of you to make a baby blanket for your sister. ive never made anything as big as a blanket. sewing has made me impatient for quick results.

• Reply Clio January 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Beautiful fabrics! I can see why the floral one “spoke” to you.

Yeah, knitting has been a big pass-time this very cold week for me too!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

i hope you are staying warm. i love knitting when its cold. not so much in the summer.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee January 26, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Gorgeous gorgeous fabrics!! Love that rose print one!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 27, 2013 at 4:38 PM

thanks sallie. i looked at those equiptment blouses that you mentioned. so awesome. makes me want to make like ten versions of this blouse pattern.

• Reply Sew Brunswick January 26, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Lovely buys. The floral is awesome. My first attempt at that cowl is going well and I’m planning a mustard one next. Is that the Lion brand ‘gold’?? I’m about to buy it.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM

It’s actually the citron color in the thick and quick lion yarn. its mustard in some lights and pea green in others. But I really like it.

• Reply Mimi Jackson January 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Ahhhh… nesting. I hope you are feeling well! Love the baby boy cobalt pants! A truly magical time, to be sure! You can be sure the garment district will still be here to drain your wallet when you are ready again!