OTHER

BEGINNER KNITTING ROUNDUP

December 11, 2012

Whenever it gets cold outside I start to get the itch to knit something.  I’ve only knitted a few things in my life – a couple of scarves and hats.  So I definitely consider myself a beginner.  Here are a few beginner and intermediate patterns that I have my eye on.  I think that the holidays are the perfect time to do some knitting – so much sitting around and watching movies/talking.  Perhaps I will go out and buy some yarn this week to get started.  Maybe I can even finish something in time for a gift?

1. GAP-tastic Cowl by Jen Geigley

2. Siksakmyssy by Kristel Nyberg

3. Super Soft Merino Baby Hat by Purl Bee

4. Father and Son Knit Ties by Purl Soho

5. Storytime Scholar by Lisa Chemery (OK maybe this one isn’t really beginner, but maybe after I make the others I can handle this one.)

• Reply Leuinda Fields December 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Those are great patterns! I love the boy’s sweater. I am a beginner in the true sense of the word. I have about 32 rows of a scarf started, my first project ever. I actually pull out more than I knit, but I have this project in mind years from now when I’m a little more experienced. It keeps me motivated!

Beautiful winter gloves –> http://mscleaver.com/2010/04/29/introducing-winterberry/

Leu

• Reply Kelli Ward December 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

i am pretty much a beginner too. its just so hard not to want to do these bigger projects.

• Reply Áine Ryan December 11, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Definitely go for the GAP-tastic. I’ve made one for myself and one for my sister. Just cast on on for my other sister today! I wear it all the time in the winter. It’s easy, cosy and contemporary!

• Reply Kelli Ward December 12, 2012 at 9:54 AM

glad to hear it. i think i’m going to start one this week. what yarn did you use?

• Reply Áine Ryan December 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Oops! Sorry I didn’t see this! Your one looks great. I’ve used two different
      German wools – Wolle Rödel Polar and Lang Yarns Merino 50. The Polar was thicker and gave more cowl. I preferred it even though it’s 50% acrylic. 🙂

• Reply Stitch Parade December 11, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I’ve made the Gap-tastic cowl and highly recommend it. It’s quick and easy and a super warm garment to wear.

• Reply Kelli Ward December 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

quick and easy – my kind of project.

• Reply Jo H. December 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Oh thank you for these! I don’t knit yet but I’m going to give it a go over the holidays and have been wanting to make myself a cowl. That one looks perfect! And the baby hat is just gorgeous. When is your little one due? I hope you’re doing well and have time to get one knit up before he/she arrives 🙂

• Reply Kelli Ward December 12, 2012 at 9:55 AM

im due in february. thanks for asking. good luck on your first project!

• Reply BusyLizzie December 12, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I just finished the GAP-tastic cowl, took me a little over a week of knitting about an hour a night, not bad I thought. My finished one is not as wide as suggested, I only did 12″, instead of the recommended 15″. It is plenty and of course uses less wool!

• Reply Kelli Ward December 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Good to hear. Did you just use 2 skeins or a little less? I’m wondering if I need two or three skeins.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee December 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Oh thanks for this! I would like to learn how to knit, and I’m always on the lookout for cute patterns that would also work for beginners, and that I’d actually wear. That first cowl looks like it could be the ticket…

• Reply gingermakes December 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

These are all super cute! The GAP-tastic cowl has been on my to-do list for a while, but I just couldn’t decide on a yarn or color!

• Reply Clio December 18, 2012 at 12:19 PM

The gaptastic cowl is a great beginner project! I wear mine all the time.

• Reply Kelli December 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I made the gaptastic cowl out of Lion Brand’s Homespun yarn in a creamy white color and wear it all of the time. My sister actually asked me to make her one over Christmas break. It’s a quick knit and super easy for beginners who want to do more than a straight scarf. Go for it!