SEWING TUTORIALS

2012 TOP FIVE

December 29, 2012

I can’t believe that 2012 is coming to a close and that I have been blogging for almost a full year.  It’s fun to look back and see all of the friends I have made, clothing I have made, and things I have learned.  It really has been a great year.

Here are my top 5 sewn items this year.  It was hard to choose.
#1 – Darling Ranges Dress with a bow – This might be my very favorite item in my closet.  It was the first time I had sewn with pure silk – there was a learning curve to be sure.  I always get compliments on it when I wear it.  It’s just the perfect blend of feminine, vintage and modern for me.
# 2 – McCalls 6044 Men’s Dress Shirt – It has been very satisfying to finally sew something for my husband.  He still wears this top all of the time and I love how professional it turned out.  I should really make him another one.
#3 – Tie Dye Mission Maxi Dress – This was a fun one from beginning to end.  It was cool to feel like I truly had something one of a kind because I not only sewed the garment, but also created the fabric pattern.  Plus it’s SO comfy.
#4 – Black and Yellow Vintage Blazer – This has been a cool project for me because I made it from a vintage jacket that I took apart and turned into a pattern.  This has also been a staple in my wardrobe while I’ve been pregnant.
#5 – Megan Nielsen’s Ruched Maternity Skirt – LOVE this skirt.  It’s pretty hard to feel sexy when you are 9 months pregnant, but this skirt makes me feel sexy.  I love showing off that baby bump instead of hiding it.  This has been a big hit in my pregnant wardrobe.

• Reply Suzanne December 29, 2012 at 1:25 PM

All great pieces. I especially love that blazer. Every time I see it, I want to make one too.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

thanks suzanne! you’ve had a great year too.

• Reply Miranda December 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Uh, you are just gorgeous! Seriously. I love all of the pieces you highlight here (and need to make that top for my husband, too…or something…) I’m so happy I stumbled upon your blog this year, and can’t wait to keep up with you in the future! Happy 2013!!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM

thanks miranda. i am so glad that we found one another’s blogs this year too. yeah to blog friends!

• Reply crystalpleats December 29, 2012 at 6:35 PM

That’s a great top 5 lists. I love all those makes, and you are definitely looking great in your pregnancy.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

thanks crystal. i must say that i am pretty excited to be sewing non maternity wear soon.

• Reply Gail December 29, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Definitely a good pick. I love the first dress and the maternity skirt. Oh how I wish maternity clothes looked that good when I was having babies in the in 90s.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:33 AM

thanks gail. maternity clothes really have come a long way havnt they?

• Reply Sew Brunswick December 29, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Love that blazer!! You’ve had a fabulous year. All the best for bub #2 and 2013.

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

thanks so much! here’s to more great sewing in 2013!

• Reply gingermakes December 30, 2012 at 1:13 AM

These are just so beautiful! I love all of these pieces and am reminded yet again how much I want that blazer! What a great year you’ve had!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:34 AM

you’ve had an awesome year this year too my dear. so glad that i met you this year too!

• Reply BusyLizzie December 30, 2012 at 6:18 AM

I love all these pieces, especially the Darling Ranges dress. Just a lovely wardrobe, you have had a great year!!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

thanks lizzie. so glad that i got to meet you this year. all the best in 2013!

• Reply Clio December 30, 2012 at 12:41 PM

What a great year! Happy 2013!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

thanks clio! happy 2013 to you too.

• Reply Sarah December 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM

love your top 5! i think your blazer and darling ranges dress are a tie for me 🙂 such great wearable wardrobe items. i’m really going to try to sew some clothes that i might actually wear out of the house in 2013 🙂 have a happy new year!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM

thanks sarah. yeah for more sewing in 2013!

• Reply Sarah January 2, 2013 at 11:19 PM

also i am excited to try out the men’s shirt pattern–just found it at Joann’s for $.99!

• Reply Rian Krommenhoek December 30, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Fantastic job. I so want to go on a sewing retreat vacation with you. Now that I have my top five fabric purchases of 2012 I need your motivation to make them into finished products. I love seeing what you’ve made!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:36 AM

i love the idea of a sewing retreat! can’t wait to see how your mood fabric turns into clothing items.

• Reply Vanessa December 31, 2012 at 12:55 PM

What a lovely year!

• Reply Erica January 1, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Oh, I love this! Your projects turn out beautifully. I just adore the top dress and that jacket.

I got a sewing machine for Christmas this year, but have no idea how to sew (yet). Do you have any pattern recommendations or tutorials to recommend for beginners??

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM

congrats on the new sewing machine. so excited for you.

let’s see, i would look at grainline’s patterns. she has some simple downloadable patterns that are really good for beginners. Also the jenny skirt from burda is a good start.

good luck!

• Reply Erica January 5, 2013 at 11:09 PM

Thanks so much Kelli! Grainline’s patterns look great! Nice simple and clean lines. The Burda skirt is so timeless. I also got some books from the library this week. I’m going to work on a skirt from one of those tomorrow. Epps! Wish me luck!

• Reply kristin January 2, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Your self-sewing is a huge inspiration for me and I love your blog! I just got the Darling Ranges pattern for Christmas and hope to tackle it soon. Best wishes for a fantastic 2013!!

• Reply Kelli Ward January 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM

so excited to see how your darling ranges turns out. LOVE that pattern.

• Reply Madalynne January 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM

My fav is the jacket. Super super chic!

• Reply Andrea from The Train To Crazy January 4, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Oh I loved all of these! You are simply amazing!!

• Reply poppykettle January 6, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, I’m loving all of your creations 🙂

• Reply dixie January 8, 2013 at 2:31 PM

i think that darling ranges dress is what first got me to your blog so maybe that’s my fave 😉 although I loved the tie dye maxi and that jacket, stunning!