SEWING TUTORIALS

2012 ORNAMENT EXCHANGE : TUTORIAL

December 3, 2012

I started this blog almost a year ago, so I thought that it would be fun to end the year doing something fun with some of the bloggers who have meant a lot to me over the last year.  All of these ladies are amazing at what they do and inspire me.

What we did is we all made enough ornaments for all participating (nine in total).  The ornaments had to be handmade and we are all posting our tutorials today.  Then we send out the ornaments to one another so each get eight beautiful, handmade ornaments over the next few weeks.  Fun right?

Here are all of the ladies participating (make sure to go and check out their tutorials today as well):

Sonja of http://gingermakes.wordpress.com/
Mika of http://savorystitches.blogspot.com/
Suzanne of http://mybeaubaby.blogspot.com/
Miranda of http://www.onelittleminuteblog.com/
Megan of http://blog.megannielsen.com/
Jen of http://grainlinestudio.com/
Dixie of http://dixiediy.blogspot.com/
Madalynne of http://www.madalynne.com

Tutorial for my handmade peacoat ornament:

materials:
-square of felt
-matching thread
-sewing machine
-scissors
-handsewing needle
-black thread
-black seed beads
-fabric glue
-small piece of lining fabric
-copper wire
-pliers
-pattern (click on the pattern photo below to enlarge and print it)

Step 1
Cut out your pattern.

Step 2
With right sides together sew shoulder seams.
*all seam allowances are 1/16″

Step 3
With right sides together sew the tops of the sleeve to the arm hole.

Step 4
With right sides together sew the sleeve and side seams up from wrist to hem.

Step5
Turn right side out and iron flat with steam.

Step 6
Tack the straight side of the collar piece to the back neck of the coat. (either by machine or hand stitch)

Step 7
Create collar by folding down the back over the seam, and bringing the top corners of the collar down to meet the angles of the pea coat.  Use fabric glue to tack in place.  (this may take a little working until it lays right)

Step 8
Take your lining fabric, fold down 1/4″ and press.  Open coat and glue into the inside so that it covers the neck seam.

Step 9
Glue on pocket pieces.

Step 10
Using thread and needle, sew on “buttons” (seed beads) on pockets and six to breast of coat.

Step11
Using pliers, form copper wire into a small hanger using my guide provided (or just make it up as you go:) Insert into coat and glue coat shut.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee December 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Oh my gosh!! These are so freaking adorable!! Really great job! I can’t wait to see what the other ladies came up with! Now I just need to actually do the Christmas thing and get a tree…

• Reply Nikki December 3, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I love it! I looooove making ornaments, I made fabric ornaments every year for all my friends and family. This year I made fabric origami butterflies. Here’s a post with this year’s and all the previous years ornaments if you want to see 🙂

• Reply gingermakes December 3, 2012 at 11:22 AM

HOLY FREAKIN’ COW! These are too, too sweet! I absolutely love them!

• Reply Elena Rosa Brown December 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM

So pleased to have found you via Jen’s blog. What an absolutely sweet idea to have people share some ornament ideas. And your mini coat hanger alone is worth making.

Looking forward to reading more.

x Elena @ Randomly Happy

• Reply Katy December 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I love this! (And a coat sew along I can do!)

• Reply oonaballoona December 3, 2012 at 12:23 PM

what a merry morning this has been, seeing all this crafty goodness!! your coat is fantastic. i hope we get a shot of all the ornaments together when they’ve reached their home… 🙂

• Reply Emilie December 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Kelli, that’s pretty much the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

• Reply Suzanne December 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM

ohmygod, that’s crazy cute! I love it!!

• Reply Madalynne December 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

your’s, by far, is the best! Holy crap!

• Reply Kristi December 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

So very cute. the little plaid lining kills me!

• Reply anto December 3, 2012 at 3:57 PM

These are soooo cute!! I love them.

• Reply Elisalex December 3, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Tooooooo cute! And so sweetly and perfectly made! Man, I’d have a whole little section of wall dedicated to these all year round… Love them!

• Reply kristin December 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Kelli I’m dying – this is so adorable!!!

• Reply liza jane December 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Oh my gosh, these little pea coats are so cool! I’m going to make one. Love it!

• Reply theperfectnose December 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

hahaha this is awesome. What a cute little coat, thanks for sharing the pattern too!

• Reply Leslie December 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Oh. My. Goodness!

• Reply Jacinta December 3, 2012 at 6:46 PM

adorable!!! so clever. Another thing to add to the to-do list. 😀

• Reply megannielsen December 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

oh my word. you made tiny peacoats?! could that be any cuter!!! can’t wait to get mine!!
    Thanks for organizing such a fun exchange Kelli!!
    hugs! xoxo

• Reply crystalpleats December 3, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Oh my goodness, I saw the little pieces and thought, “ooh, just like a real sewing pattern in miniature” and then you proceeded to actually sew (and line!) it. Very, very cute, and brings a smile to my face.

• Reply grainline December 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

This is literally BEYOND cute, I can’t believe you made a tiny peacoat!!!! I actually have one almost identical to the mustard one too, haha! I can’t wait to hang this on my tree, and then after christmas hang it in my studio. You sewed in tiny sleeves! DUDE!!!!! Yes!

• Reply Mika December 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

LOVE IT!! Now all the little animals will have little coats to keep them warm!

• Reply Miriam December 4, 2012 at 1:45 PM

WHHHHAAT?!?! I LOVE these! LOVE love love! I definitely am going to make me some wee little coats, this is genius. I have a tradition of making some handmade ornaments every year, and this is perfect!

• Reply dixie December 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

aww, i love this! and i think i already know a friend that I want to make this for.

• Reply Rian Krommenhoek December 7, 2012 at 2:48 PM

If your ornament goes missing just know that you have made one stylish elf very happy. Love them.

• Reply Beth December 8, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Oh my gosh! Your ornament is so adorable! Amazing!

• Reply House of Pinheiro December 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

It’s so amazing.

• Reply tammyCA January 19, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I just adore these little peacoats and wanted to thank you for sharing the tutorial. I made a couple and I think they came out pretty cute (although, I seem to struggle with sewing so tiny around the armholes..and, for some reason the pattern prints out with some lines missing). These little coats remind me of a childhood show I used to watch where there was a mouse puppet and moms of the viewing kids would sew cute little clothes for him, including jackets & the host would show them to the t.v. audience…always loved that part. 🙂

• Reply lemondedis February 26, 2013 at 7:54 AM

adorable !… je le verrais bien sur une page de scrapbooking… et j’ai même envie de le réaliser dans un vinyl fin, pour en faire un ciré… merci pour le partage !… je cherche des freebies sur le web, mais je recherche aussi des créations “faciles” : mon but est de permettre aux gens qui n’ont pas beaucoup d’argent, ou qui débutent le bricolage, de créer des choses simples, ne demandant pas d’outils “exceptionnels” ni trop de matériel… …./… lorsque je trouve des choses qui me plaisent, je partage mes “bonnes adresses” : la vôtre y sera !… http://pinterest.com/lemondedis/ (j’ai déjà plus de 12000 liens vers des téléchargements gratuits et quelques autres milliers vers des projets de création !)

• Reply Anonymous November 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I just love this idea! So cute. In place of holiday gifts for each other this year, my family is donating new coats to kids in need…but I still wanted to make a little gift to wrap and give to everyone. I’m making these as mementos!

• Reply Janice January 4, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Love this idea and thank you for sharing it with the world.

• Reply My handmade Christmas decorations! — megan nielsen design diary December 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM

[…] [TUTORIAL: winter coat tree ornament by True Bias] […]

• Reply Deepika December 15, 2015 at 11:45 AM

OMG I just found this today. Too stinkin cute. Making it now!

• Reply The best decorations to make this weekend - Randomly Happy January 17, 2016 at 3:58 PM

[…] ornament / Grainline Studio // 3 Voyages of the Creative Variety // 4 handmade peacoat ornament / True Bias // 5 3D felt balls / The […]