SEWN : MEGAN NIELSEN’S RUCHED MATERNITY SKIRT

November 5, 2012

Megan offered to send me a couple maternity patterns as a baby gift a few months ago and I was thrilled to jump on this one right away.  I have never understood why most maternity skirts are full or a lined.  Why would you want to add more bulk to your body during this time.  Megan’s maternity skirt was an answer to that dilemma for me.

Pattern: Megan Nielsen’s Ruched Maternity Skirt

Materials Used: Burgandy Ponte Knit from Mood Fabrics

Sizing: I made a size M even though I measured as a S because I knew that my fabric was a really structured knit without a ton of stretch.  I am glad that I did because any tighter might have been too tight.

Changes Made: Besides the sizing (explained above), I also used a straight stitch on the elastic ruching instead of a zigzag as the instructions suggested.  I just found that the zigzag was slipping all over the place.

The Good:  GREAT pattern.  Easy to follow instructions.  Sews up really fast.  I also used stitch witchery for the first time on my hem as suggested and I love it.  Will be using that from now on with all knits.

The Bad: Just to be careful with your sizing if your knit is less stretchy.  You can always take it in a size if its too big.

Conclusion:  Awesome pattern and a new staple in my wardrobe.  Making a black version too just for practicality sake.

• Reply Suzanne November 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM

So gorgeous on you. I love it!

• Reply grainline November 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

The skirt looks so great and comfortable, and can we talk about how amazing your hair looks? Dreamy

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

It really is comfortable – well as comfortable as you can be prego I guess. And thanks for the hair compliment. Ive been thinking about doing a little hair tute on the blog. Perhaps I will. I have some tricks that have really been working for me lately.

• Reply Crystal November 6, 2012 at 3:50 AM

You look amazing! We are considering another child and if we do THIS is my must sew item of all of Megan’s maternity patterns. I hope you sew some of her other’s up and show us, as well.

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

You should really make this is you have another kid. I higtly recommend it.

• Reply megannielsen November 6, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Wowza Kelli!! You look amazing!!! I absolutely love how your skirt turned out – and i so agree with Jen, your hair is so dreamy!

Really great advice about what to do if you use a knit with less stretch! Can’t wait to see the black one too!

XOXO

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Thanks Megan! It means a lot coming from you.

• Reply Sew Brunswick November 6, 2012 at 5:44 AM

Lovely! You look wonderful.

• Reply Kestrel November 6, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Your skirt looks great and you look fantastic all round – so stylish.

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Thanks Kestrel. Hope you are doing well.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee November 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Seriously!? You are so gorgeous! I love how your skirt turned out, and how perfectly styled you are. And yes, the hair, amazing.

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Thanks Sallie. You are one of the most stylish people that I know so I take your compliments very seriously:)

• Reply liza jane November 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Gorgeous! You look fantastic.

• Reply Isabelle Carpenter November 6, 2012 at 12:48 PM

your skirt is fantastic!
    ♥The fashion witch
    ♥Facebook
    ♥Bloglovin
    ♥My shop

• Reply Paunnet November 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

HOT! You look stunning! 🙂

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I can’t say that I feel hot, but I am trying. Pregnancy is such a funny time.

• Reply Ashley November 6, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I completely agree with you, I avoided wearing skirts when I was pregnant because they looked horrible. However this skirt is PERFECT! I really love the color on you, and your whole outfit looks so chic. You really look great 🙂

-Ash P

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I know, I don’t understand why more retailers havn’t picked up on this.

• Reply gingermakes November 6, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Love this! You look amazing! Sadly, I made the mistake of making a couple of these for my sister that aren’t stretchy enough– whoops! But it’s such an easy pattern and a flattering style!

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Oh now, I am sad for your sister. I bet she was so excited about them too.

• Reply Reyna Lay November 6, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Hi! I love the skirt on you, you are so stinkin’ cute preggers! How far along are you? I am currently 18 wks, we find out the sex on Friday at our gender reveal party w/friends. Would love it if you passed by my blog and checked it out:) Also, love the color of the skirt, perfect for fall/winter!
    -Reyna

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Hey Reyna – I am 27 weeks. Good luck with your reveal party. So fun!

• Reply Amanda Evans November 7, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Wow, Kelli! I love the skirt. I agree that fitted items that make you look pregnant and not just big (gigantic in some cases) look so, so, so much better. I’ve got a new approach to maternity wear this time around and I feel a lot better about my style already.

• Reply Kelli Ward November 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I bet you are adorable pregnant. You should make this skirt! It’s very doable and you would look great. I am imagining you making it up a in leopard print knit for sure!

• Reply Madalynne November 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

I didn’t think a pregnant woman could ever look good in a pencil skirt but you just proved that wrong! You look fabulous!

• Reply kat November 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM

you look amazing! You have convinced me to get this pattern next time I’m pregnant

• Reply Boyd Box November 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM

That’s an amazing looking skirt and you look fabulous!

• Reply Cennetta November 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Kelli, you are a beautiful mom to be. Love your skirt.