HOW I’M WEARING MY SEWN ITEMS DURING PREGNANCY

November 1, 2012

Hello everyone.  It’s been a little slow around here due to the hurricane.  We are fine and have running water and electricity.  We feel very blessed.  Even though we have only lived in NYC for a few short months, I feel so saddened by the destruction and loss to this great city.  So many people are suffering right now.  Today was the first day that my husband went to work and he had to bike in to get there.  Its almost eerie to see how vacant the streets have been in such a busy place.

Since I don’t have a lot of sewing to show you – I do have a couple of projects that I need to photograph before blogging – I thought that I would show you some of my iphone outfit shots that I took to show you all how I have been wearing the clothing that I have sewn and converting it to maternity wear.

Silk Maxi Skirt – When it was still warmer a couple of weeks ago I just hiked the skirt up over my tummy, belted it and wore it out and about.  I was pretty happy with how well this one transitioned as well as how extremely comfy it was.

Chambray Blazer – I love how a structured blazer looks on a prego tummy.  It makes me feel less curvy and more sophisticated.

Infinity Scarf – Another one of the things that I love to sport while pregnant are scarves.  I feel like it breaks up all of the large areas on my upper body.  This infinity scarf has been worn A LOT.
Black blazer with Yellow lining – Loving this blazer right now.  It has just enough structure and warmth for my growing belly and cold days.
How about you guys?
Any go to items when you are pregnant?
Any items that easily transition between regular wear to maternity wear?
I am 6 1/2 months pregnant now so I really don’t want to buy anything else that is just for pregnancy.  Just seems like a waste to only be able to wear it for a couple of months and then be done with it.

• Reply Kieran November 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM

This was interesting, thanks for sharing! You mentioned in your post about the muslin for your latest blazer that you thought the muslin looked ridiculous on your when you were pregnant…why do you think your other blazers work and that one didn’t? different styles, or underlying fitting problems?

• Reply Kelli Ward November 1, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Good question Kieran. I think its because the other blazer that I did a muslin for is a peplum so it has a super defined waistline – even in the front. My other blazer pattern which I used to make the other two blazers is a little bigger and has a more subtle waist definition. That seems to have made all of the difference.

• Reply Kieran November 4, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Ah, that makes sense! I’m excited to see it when you get your waist back and finish it 🙂

• Reply Crystal November 2, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Great pregnancy looks.

• Reply Shona November 2, 2012 at 3:22 AM

You look amazing!

• Reply sallie oleta barbee November 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM

You’ve got to be the most stylish expecting mama I’ve ever laid eyes on! These looks are great! I’m so impressed with how you’ve been able to stretch your sewn wardrobe to accommodate your pregnancy.

• Reply gingermakes November 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM

These are GORGEOUS outfits! I absolutely love them– so stylish! I’m glad you’ve found ways to wear existing wardrobe pieces.

• Reply Madalynne November 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

You are one good looking momma-to-be!

I’m glad to hear that you’re getting back to normal. I live in Philly and considering the damage this city suffered, I can’t even imagine what New York City would be like right now. It’s a humbling experience, don’t you think?

• Reply Reyna Lay November 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

You are so right, blazers look super cute with baby bellies, they have been a statement piece and I know they’ll keep being one as my baby gets bigger;)
    -Reyna

• Reply Rolana Moyaah November 17, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Your bump is so cute and your outfits look fab. xx

ohsewfashion.com