MUSLIN FINISHED FOR MCCALLS 6611

October 22, 2012

I finished my muslin for the angled blazer McCalls 6611 this weekend and I am pretty excited about the fit.  It sewed up super easy and I think it it’s going to be awesome once it’s done.  I made a size 10 even though I measured closer to a 12 and I think that was a good call.

I am going to make a few changes however.

1 – Slim out the sleeve by about 1/2″.  There is a ton of extra ease in the sleeve so it should be pretty easy to do.

2 – Raise the waistline in the front.  I have a pretty short torso and the waistline seems to angle down in the front a bit.  I am going to raise that by about 1/2″ as well.

3 – Lengthen the peplum in the back.  The peplum in the back gets really short.  In fact, I am pretty sure that once it’s hemmed it won’t cover the top of my jeans so I am going to lengthen the hem by at least an inch if not more.

All of that being said, I tried the muslin on with my prego belly and it looks ridiculous.  Rather than risk making it now and it not fitting correctly after the baby comes I am going to tuck this muslin away to make in the spring.  I love the fabric too much to risk it.  I promise though that you will be seeing this again in about 4 months.

• Reply Katie Hollander October 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Thanks for sharing your process! It’s very inspiring to see your thoughts on pattern changes and thinking ahead with regard to fit.

• Reply Neeno October 22, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I admire the effort that has gone into this muslin. Can’t wait to see the finished garment!!! 😀

• Reply gingermakes October 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Ooh, this really looks great! I’m excited to see how it turns out (in a few months, of course)!

• Reply Madalynne October 23, 2012 at 7:43 AM

the cut of this jacket is sharp. I think it is a good idea to put this away until after the little one comes. You never know how or if your body will change after having a baby.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee October 23, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I really like this pattern – I’ve been toying with using it myself, so your thoughts on the fit are especially helpful! Waiting is probably a good idea, focus on sewing yourself some stretchy stuff for the next couple of months! Can’t wait till you bring this bad boy back out though.

• Reply dixie October 27, 2012 at 12:33 PM

oooh, that jacket looks like it’s going to be really cool looking! that pattern didn’t catch my eye until now.

• Reply lsaspacey November 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM

I want this pattern too but can’t even think of it until I finished all my other projects that I have fabric for. However, I can’t wait to see what you do with it.