SEWING TUTORIALS

ADDING SLEEVES TO MY MISSION MAXI

September 12, 2012

I recently bought some simple black bamboo fabric from Mood to make up a knee length tshirt dress that could grow with my baby bump and that I could layer through the beginning of winter.  I have loved the Mission Maxi Dress pattern so I decided to use that as my base pattern.  I wanted the tshirt dress to have sleeves so I used a favorite tshirt from target to use as my template to add sleeves to the pattern.  Here are a few pics of the process.

The front:

The back:
The sleeves :

All of the pattern pieces :

A few things to remember if you are doing a similar thing:

-add 1/4″ seam allowances to all seams
-add about 1 1/4″ to the bottom of the sleeves for the sleeve hems

In the end it was a very easy and quick process.  I just traced the front, back, and sleeves of the tshirt from the bust up and added it to the maxi dress pattern.  You probably wouldn’t even need the maxi dress pattern.  You could just compare the body of the dress to an existing dress that you have and draft the bottom too.

I saw that Mimi posted an online class to do a similar thing for a tshirt maxi dress a few days ago.  So if you don’t feel confident winging it this might be a really great option.  I am sure it’s a great class.

• Reply Amy September 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Clever. I sooo do not have the brain power to process these kinds of personal additions. I need someone to tell me how to do it and put it on paper. I love watching the process of how it’s done though. I just finished my mission maxi last weekend and will post it soon. Love that pattern. Can’t wait to see this one.

• Reply Janice September 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Great idea to add sleeves. It’ll make the maxi dress a lot more versatile.

• Reply Ashley September 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I love the idea of sleeves! I was thinking about added them when I finally get around to sewing a maxi for myself. Also, I’m wearing the white version of your shirt today…he he…I heart Target.

-Ashley

• Reply gingermakes September 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM

This will be so cute!

• Reply Madalynne September 14, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Two things I love about this post
    one, you make it look so easy! You go girl!
    two, I love how you’re using something that you have to create something new

• Reply sallie oleta barbee September 14, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Great addition – these alterations will be such a nice thing to add some versatility to your patterns. I can’t wait to see it. Also, I’ve been craving some basic black knits myself – and I swear I’m not pregnant…

• Reply liza jane September 14, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Are you going to do any alterations for the baby bump, or just count on the stretchiness of the knit to take care of the fit? Just curious…;)

• Reply M. Inez September 25, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Great idea! Can’t wait to see pics of the finished project.

• Reply Jamie Christina Mission Maxi Dress | Santa Lucia Patterns July 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM

[…] und das Mission Maxi mit Ärmeln nähen! Dafür kann ein Lieblingsshirt als Vorlage dienen – Truebias zeigt, wie das geht – oder ein T-Shirt-Schnittmuster wie das Renfrew mit dem Mission Maxi […]