NEW FABRIC FROM THE GARMENT DISTRICT + PLANS

August 28, 2012

As I mentioned yesterday, I bought a bit of fabric at the garment district on Saturday.  Now that I am pregnant my plans have changed (no peplum blouses around here) and I am really trying to make clothing that will grow with me and that feels comfortable and flattering.

This black and white cotton print fabric (it feels like a linen blend perhaps?) is going to be a blazer using the same blazer pattern that I made using a thrifted blazer awhile back that I used to make my chambray blazer.  Gingermakes actually found this fabric and bought the same fabric in an orange/red.  Copying is the best form of flattery right?  It subtly reminds me of kente cloth without being too blatant.

Since it was a black and white print I thought that it would be fun to use a bright color for the lining.  I am going with this yellow/green lining that I found at Mood fabrics.  I actually already cut this fabric out and will hopefully have a jacket to show you by the end of the month.  I am pretty excited about this one.

I have definitely had blazers on the mind lately.  I love a pregnant woman in a structured blazer.  Plus it is something I can wear after the baby is born too.  I fell in love with the new fashion star angled jacket pattern and when I saw this aztec inspired linen I knew it would be that jacket right away.  I am still waiting for the pattern to get here in the mail.  (sorry it’s so wrinkly, I just washed it so it needs a good ironing)

M6611
Pattern – McCalls 6611 Fashion Star

I know this one is pretty boring, but it’s this kind of thing that I know that I will wear all of the time.  Last time I was pregnant I wanted to wear black all of the time.  So I am assuming this time will be no different.  I bought this soft bamboo knit from Mood fabrics to make a knee length tshirt dress.  I just know it’s the kind of thing that I will wear everyday.  Sometimes practical sewing is the best sewing.

That is all I got.  I had a really hard time making decisions.  It was so overwhelming.  I should be good for a little while, but am excited to go again soon!

• Reply Jacinta August 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Wow looking forward to seeing how the aztec turns out! 🙂

• Reply grainline August 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Love love love love your blazer fabrics! I actually tried to buy fabric in that same yellow/green color from Mood for the lining my black and white blazer that I haven’t started yet (toooooo many projects, sigh) but they couldn’t find the fabric I was trying to order and I ended up with red. Cute but still sort of a bummer. Anyway I can’t wait to see your two blazers, they’re going to be so cute. I personally think practical sewing is the best and you’ve got 3 great things here, yes!

• Reply Gail August 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

All great great choices. The blazers will be interesting to watch come to life.

• Reply Amy August 28, 2012 at 10:26 PM

You are the second to mention M6611. Can’t remember who made the first but I an thinking that I ought to reconsider putting this number on my list and adding to the stash.
    Can’t wait to see.

• Reply Stephanie August 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Great plans, Kelli! I love those fabrics. I like practical sewing too – I wear those pieces the most.

• Reply sallie oleta barbee August 29, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I love your fabrics and plans! The geometric (slightly tribal) prints paired with classic solids will make a stunning little capsule wardrobe! I’m super jealous of these fabrics – especially the prints. Its so hard to find good prints!! And I’m also a huge fan of practical sewing. Its gotta be worth the work, and an everyday dress pays for itself.

• Reply Madalynne August 29, 2012 at 12:21 PM

I am so jealous of your meet up but so anxious to see what you create!

• Reply Catlin August 29, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I miss the garment district so much! I should have visited many more times than I did when we lived there, but it was just too hard to find the time to go without my kids! My favorite store was Prime Fabrics on 35th because it was a little bit smaller scale (I’m horrible at making decisions with so many options…) and had some great sale prices. I hope you are enjoying NYC!

• Reply Katherine August 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Did you ever .pdf the vintage blazer pattern? I’d love to try to make one!

• Reply gingermakes August 29, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I am SO excited about your blazers! They’re going to be gorgeous!!

• Reply Janice August 30, 2012 at 2:12 PM

I know what you mean about the boring practical sewing. I wear my plain black pencil skirt all the time, though making it was so dull.

• Reply Heather Lou October 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I’ll have to wait to see yours (that print is DOPE). I want to make one in white…